You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

Whoops. Careful or you'll have the revisionists who claim he was our best player in every match for the last 27 years down your throat.

A-fucking-men. If only some people would open their eyes and see this also. But they wont because they'd lose that lovely pointless stick they get to use to beat Benitez with.

We are also not a World Class club. No way could a club that is run like ours is be considered world class anymore.

If Lucas had showed the form Alonso had in 06/07 and 07/08 he'd have been given player of the year by a few on here.

And he totally deserves the criticism he's getting regarding Aquilani. His value if he was fit is totally irrelevant, because he isn't fit!

It's like wanting to upgrade your TV by going with HD. You buy one which you know is damaged but you want it anyway, so you get it. By the time it's repaired the footy season is over and all you have left to watch on your new shiny telly is fucking Emmerdale and X Factor.

What's the point?

If Lucas had showed the form Alonso had in 06/07 and 07/08 he'd have been given player of the year by a few on here.

That's a fair comment. I know some are over exaggerating how good Lucas has been, but some are also still saying he is still total shite and using excuses like "it's only Birmingham", etc. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I know some others have said this too, but on occasion when I’ve wanted to see Aqualani come on, I’ve wanted Masch to go and keep Lucas on. Only last year I’d have been happy in some games for Lucas to come off and no one to replace him, so I think the lad has come a long way, and he could now be a good squad player who could do a job when first choice midfielders are injured.

That's a fair comment. I know some are over exaggerating how good Lucas has been, but some are also still saying he is still total shite and using excuses like "it's only Birmingham", etc. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I know some others have said this too, but on occasion when I’ve wanted to see Aqualani come on, I’ve wanted Masch to go and keep Lucas on. Only last year I’d have been happy in some games for Lucas to come off and no one to replace him, so I think the lad has come a long way, and he could now be a good squad player who could do a job when first choice midfielders are injured.

He's doing nothing different to what he's done since he arrived.

He's one of the worst ball watchers I've ever seen.

I don't think he should be getting criticisim for signing Aquilani, if he rates him highly and thinks he can be a top player for us for five+ years.

In the short term his injury has hurt us, but it didn't need to if Benitez had played Gerrard in centre midfield over Lucas when he was fit. We've won every game Gerrard has been used in centre midfield this season.

The Mascherano / Lucas combination does not give us enough quality in possession, despite what Tomkins says in his latest piece.

I don't care Benitez bought Aquilani and I hope he is a top player. I am more concerned with Benitez's poor team selections, predicatble / baffling subs, the lack of options upfront, the poor form to important first teamers such as Carragher, Kuyt, Skrtel, Mascherano etc... rather than criticise Benitez for signing a player who has missed a few months dur to inury... he's here for five years, not five months.

And he totally deserves the criticism he's getting regarding Aquilani. His value if he was fit is totally irrelevant, because he isn't fit!

It's like wanting to upgrade your TV by going with HD. You buy one which you know is damaged but you want it anyway, so you get it. By the time it's repaired the footy season is over and all you have left to watch on your new shiny telly is fucking Emmerdale and X Factor.

What's the point?

I sort of agree with you, but I don't quite!

I think it is a risk that has backfired, but I think it has backfired because of the injuries to other players! I think that has focussed all the attention on Aquiliani, but saying that, I would rather he is fit for the rest of the season and beyond (whether that is Rafa or not) rather than brought back too early. I hope we have taken the time out to really look into solving his problem, rather than managing it over the season.

If he gets blamed for a lot of things, that's because it's always his fault.

That's what being the boss is all about. It's ALWAYS your fault, no matter what.

The buck stops at Rafa. Fair enough. But he gets blamed for leaking stuff to journos, the exact same journos who only a while earlier was said that rafa never talks to him. Once something can be twisted as anti Rafa, it will happen. Of course Rafa has fucked up, so some of the criticism is warrented, but he gets called on everything no matter what as long as it's negative.

And if Aquilani shows the same kind of form as Xabi in those two seasons, he'll be deemed a roaring success.

I disagree with that. I thought Xabi was very poor in those seasons, and if Aqualani is that poor then I think people will be lining up to say another fuck up by Rafa.

I think Aqualani is going to have to hit the ground running to not be called a dud.

Should be noted that Aquilani actually played out wide on the left for Roma on a few occasions as they struggled to accomodate him.

Not my words, Carol: the words of top Italian Football guru James Richardson.

For what it's worth (very little, I know) I think Aquilani seems like one of those players Benitez just doesn't know how best to use.

I think we may see him in a variety of positions before the season's end.

I disagree with that. I thought Xabi was very poor in those seasons, and if Aqualani is that poor then I think people will be lining up to say another fuck up by Rafa.

I think Aqualani is going to have to hit the ground running to not be called a dud.

But he wasn't.

He was about as poor as everyone else in 06/07 in what was a campaign everyone wants to forget, and he spent large parts of 07/08 in the treatment room.

And I vividly remember people on here crying out for his return when he was injured, along with Agger, as our play was suffering.

If he was so poor there'd be no clamour to get him back in the team.

What's this "uberfan" stuff? I passed a comment that I think Rafa will get cained for Aqualani no matter what. Am I not alowed that comment? Jesus, you just have to look at any thread here and see that rafa gets blamed for almost everything and no thread is safe from turning anti-rafa. That's all I said, and some others disagreed and we had a debate, you were the one coming in with "Don't waste your time" because my opinion is so clearly worthless. If there is one person acting the superfan with comments like that then it's you kid. If you can't have a reasoned debate, then just don't bother. But don't come in telling other posters to just ignore my comments. I'm sure they are all very capable of making up their own minds.

As for the "Drama" comment. You've lost me there as I only see one person following me around this thread, but you're certainly not letting it. Let it go kid, let it go.

You've used the catch-all "drama" jibe quite a lot recently.

I like the "let it go" veneer of casual ease, to someone you've told to fuck off, talked about fucking his mother and called a numpty. You're kidding no one, except Whisky Jar!

Deny that you've referred to Liverpool fans as bad as our enemies?

You then construct this complete bollocks about Aquilani, the person with whom you were having this private debate even described it as "pathetic".

I told him he was wasting his time because it was so far-fetched in the first place and you were quite clearly not for turning (c M Thatcher ;)), but I'm sorry for butting in and will watch the language in future.

You're absolutely right that some of the Rafa-baiting goes way too far. I feel it's also right to point out that some of the reaction to Rafa's critics goes too far also, and even an inference that they are 'enemies' is not right.

Truce.

But he wasn't.

He was about as poor as everyone else in 06/07 in what was a campaign everyone wants to forget, and he spent large parts of 07/08 in the treatment room.

And I vividly remember people on here crying out for his return when he was injured, along with Agger, as our play was suffering.

If he was so poor there'd be no clamour to get him back in the team.

People have their favourites and once people make their minds up, then that is their man. Also, with Xabi been very good in 2004/05 everyone was hoping that he'd find that form again. He did, eventually, but only after he was almost sold to a team that he didn;t want to play for.

I find it interesting that people say Xabi wasn't poor over those two seasons, when Xabi himself confirms he was.

For what it's worth (very little, I know) I think Aquilani seems like one of those players Benitez just doesn't know how best to use.

That is close to being the most absurd jumping to conclusion I've ever seen.

There are so many things to critize Rafa for at the moment, and you choose to invent a new thing based on a completely unfounded assumption. Well done.

Rafa has stated very clearly that Aquilani is brought in to play between Mascherano and Gerrard and offer us something else from centre mid. Seeing as all the minutes of football he has played for us so far has been exactly there, I think I'm gonna assume that Rafa wasn't lying for now.

That is close to being the most absurd jumping to conclusion I've ever seen.

There are so many things to critize Rafa for at the moment, and you choose to invent a new thing based on a completely unfounded assumption. Well done.

Rafa has stated very clearly that Aquilani is brought in to play between Mascherano and Gerrard and offer us something else from centre mid. Seeing as all the minutes of football he has played for us so far has been exactly there, I think I'm gonna assume that Rafa wasn't lying for now.

Completely unfounded assumption?

Nah, it's based on someone knowing what they're actually talking about. Someone who's actually watched the player consitently (although not as consitently as the Roma physios).

You've used the catch-all "drama" jibe quite a lot recently.

I like the "let it go" veneer of casual ease, to someone you've told to fuck off, talked about fucking his mother and called a numpty. You're kidding no one, except Whisky Jar!

Deny that you've referred to Liverpool fans as bad as our enemies?

You then construct this complete bollocks about Aquilani, the person with whom you were having this private debate even described it as "pathetic".

I told him he was wasting his time because it was so far-fetched in the first place and you were quite clearly not for turning (c M Thatcher ;)), but I'm sorry for butting in and will watch the language in future.

You're absolutely right that some of the Rafa-baiting goes way too far. I feel it's also right to point out that some of the reaction to Rafa's critics goes too far also, and even an inference that they are 'enemies' is not right.

Truce.

Jumpin Jesus lad. A few days ago someone hopped off Rafa or one of our players or something and I said "With fans like this, who needs enemies". A working on the age old saying that plenty of people the world over have said "with friends like these, who needs enemies" A term used for decades about some mates been very harsh with you.

But now I am calling Liverpool fans enemies?

I'm guessing you know fine well that I meant some of our fans are been very harsh at the moment, but you have decided to make it sound like I am saying Liverpool fans are the enemy, or something.

Do you know what. We are now hijaking this thread with a very pointless squabble. You can have the last word if you wish as I'm sick of trying to defend the twisting of my words, now including posts I wrote a good while ago on different threads. I'm leaving it.

I'm sorry but how the fuck do you know that? You've seen enough of him in a Liverpool shirt to call him 'not a dud'? He could very well be for all we know. HE DOESN'T PLAY!

I'd rather him play and be a dud than sit on the bench fucking teasing us.

Its a dick tease to say the least.

On the other hand though I would rather Rafa takes his time into nuturing him back to full fitness than to play him and get injured all over again.

If you were playing poker and you had a card up your sleeve (said card being Aquilani) and everything was riding on that card but at least you can use it (dispite the fact that you didnt know what the card was), you would use it.

That was a shit analogy but you get my point.

Nah, it's based on someone knowing what they're actually talking about. Someone who's actually watched the player consitently (although not as consitently as the Roma physios).

I realise that you have information about him being used as a left winger on occasions. I just can't see anything at all to support the notion that Rafa is going to move him around.

If anything not bringing him on as a left winger saturday supports the notion that Rafa will only play him in centre mid.

I realise that you have information about him being used as a left winger on occasions. I just can't see anything at all to support the notion that Rafa is going to move him around.

If anything not bringing him on as a left winger saturday supports the notion that Rafa will only play him in centre mid.

It was my opinion.

If he doesn't get moved around, then great. But I just get a feeling he might.

He's not shy of moving his centre mids around, as evidenced with Lucas on the left at Villa last year.

I think that too. He will be playing in the mid, just not as attacking as I had hoped.

I'm sorry but how the fuck do you know that? You've seen enough of him in a Liverpool shirt to call him 'not a dud'? He could very well be for all we know. HE DOESN'T PLAY!

Someone called him a dud, which isn't true.

He might be, he might not... but to say he's a dud before we've seen him play is wrong.

Not sure what your point is! He doesn't think he is a dud, Walton suggested he is!

You suggested Rafa didn't know what to do with him!

That is unfounded!

It was my opinion.

If he doesn't get moved around, then great. But I just get a feeling he might.

He's not shy of moving his centre mids around, as evidenced with Lucas on the left at Villa last year.

Fair enough. I think you are going to be proven wrong (if Aquilani is ever fit enough to play), but time will tell.