You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

The second part Nick. I said it earlier in the thread:

Cheers for that basically my thoughts as well but I probably wouldnt put such a positive slant on it and it just shows Rafa's caution to me

Was reading an article by Graham Taylor yesterday basically saying Rafa should stop feeling sorry for himself and get on with it and he wanted Rafa to get out of this mess but he didnt understand the point of Lucas/Mascherano partnership especially as Lucas doesnt know what forward pass is and just plays simple sqare passes.

I don't think Rafa wants to be bring him into a misfiring team playing shite. I think he'd rather get us back to a bit of confidence and then unleash Aqualani with a fully fit and confident Gerrard beside him and Torres to accept his passes in front. If he starts ok, he's confidence will shoot up and he may settle very quickly.

Looks like you are spot on there Johnny. Rafa IS following what you said. I can't understand Rafa here but there you go:

Alberto Aquilani is another who could potentially make his derby debut - though the manager remains eager to play it safe with the fitness of the Italian international.

"It is a difficult situation with Aquilani," said Benitez. "People have been asking me about him, and we have been wanting to play him for a long time, but when a player is not fully fit, his match fitness is not the best.

"When you are in a situation where you are winning 1-0 in a very important game, or you are drawing as we were against City, it's more difficult for him (to play as a substitute).

"Sometimes when a new player plays for just 20-30 minutes, they need time to settle down.

"We need to do the right things with him. If you are winning and doing well, you can play anyone because they will play well too.

"He will play if it is necessary, and hopefully it will be because it will mean we are winning and want to give him some minutes.

"We have to give him the best opportunity to thrive on the pitch."

Cheers for that basically my thoughts as well but I probably wouldnt put such a positive slant on it and it just shows Rafa's caution to me

Was reading an article by Graham Taylor yesterday basically saying Rafa should stop feeling sorry for himself and get on with it and he wanted Rafa to get out of this mess but he didnt understand the point of Lucas/Mascherano partnership especially as Lucas doesnt know what forward pass is and just plays simple sqare passes.

]

Edited by RedKnight

I just don't get that. Watch any game for 10 mins and you see Lucas nearly always looking for the forward pass.

I just don't get that. Watch any game for 10 mins and you see Lucas nearly always looking for the forward pass.

It's a bit of a myth - a hangover from last season when Lucas was so nervous that he was always looking for the safe pass.

Bex, not only is that a cartoon from the S+n, but it's also grossly unfair to Taylor who was one of the most successful club managers in this country over the past 30 or so years. I find it ironic to the extreme that Liverpool fans complain on here about a media conspiracy against our manager, but are quite happy to share in the belittling of other managers, presumably as a 'joke'. As your response show, Taylor will always be known as 'turnip'; Ranieri as the 'Tinkerman'; and yet we get so outraged by the media's lazy and tired stereotyping of our manager?

Taylor also knows what he is talking about when it comes to Lucas - the man instinctively looks sideways or backwards. Johnny, just go and analyse his passing on the Guardian interactive chalkboards and you'll see it's far from a myth.

Bex, not only is that a cartoon from the S+n, but it's also grossly unfair to Taylor who was one of the most successful club managers in this country over the past 30 or so years. I find it ironic to the extreme that Liverpool fans complain on here about a media conspiracy against our manager, but are quite happy to share in the belittling of other managers, presumably as a 'joke'. As your response show, Taylor will always be known as 'turnip'; Ranieri as the 'Tinkerman'; and yet we get so outraged by the media's lazy and tired stereotyping of our manager?

Taylor also knows what he is talking about when it comes to Lucas - the man instinctively looks sideways or backwards. Johnny, just go and analyse his passing on the Guardian interactive chalkboards and you'll see it's far from a myth.

I like Taylor, I like the man.

But, he did well with Watford but that is it. You wouldn't describe Bassett as one of the most succesful managers of the past 30 years would you?

In short he is nowhere near one of the most successful managers of the last 30 years.

I didn't say he'll never play him. I said he might be reluctant to play him, as he is one of few excuses he has for our incredibly poor start this season.

Even the most cynical of us don't think Rafa is stupid, cowardly, or selfish enough to not play him for that reason.

You must have a very low opinion of him ;)

180full-graham-taylor.jpg

Do I not think that he doesn't?

Edited by BexBissel
Added quote

I like Taylor, I like the man.

But, he did well with Watford but that is it. You wouldn't describe Bassett as one of the most succesful managers of the past 30 years would you?

In short he is nowhere near one of the most successful managers of the last 30 years.

Didn't he get Lincoln promoted, Watford on 2 different occasions (to the top tier) in 2 different reigns (about 20 years apart), Villa promoted then 2nd in the top tier - very good CV if I've got this right. :whistle: