You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

Okay, so based on that logic you're saying that a win means you can't criticise decisions, because the objective was achieved.

So if you lose, then you can't see any positives and should only concentrate on the negatives? Is that what you're saying?

No each game is different.

Although I don't think if we win the game a massively poor decision is made. Doesn't mean I agree with whatever is made but given we've won that game I'm overally sure you can lament the decision not to play someone for longer than they have.

If we lose then obviously something has gone wrong cos we've lost.

No each game is different.

Although I don't think if we win the game a massively poor decision is made. Doesn't mean I agree with whatever is made but given we've won that game I'm overally sure you can lament the decision not to play someone for longer than they have.

If we lose then obviously something has gone wrong cos we've lost.

Hang on, so it's impossible to make a poor decision in a game you've won? So if Rafa had taken Reina off and put Gerrard in goal for the last 90 seconds, theoretically it wouldn't have been a poor decision because we won?! Behave!

You've lost the context of my criticism for this decision anyway. I'm not saying it was a poor decision in the context of this game along, i'm thinking of Aquilani and ultimately the team in the LONG-TERM!

Aquilani getting fit as soon as possible is to the benefit of the team. Him not playing games means he doesn't get fit, which is therefore to the detriment of the team.

It's not rocket science, it's just logic.

If Gerrard and/or Torres were coming back from injury and used in this way it wouldn't be acceptable and it isn't in this scenario either.

Hang on, so it's impossible to make a poor decision in a game you've won? So if Rafa had taken Reina off and put Gerrard in goal for the last 90 seconds, theoretically it wouldn't have been a poor decision because we won?! Behave!

You've lost the context of my criticism for this decision anyway. I'm not saying it was a poor decision in the context of this game along, i'm thinking of Aquilani and ultimately the team in the LONG-TERM!

Aquilani getting fit as soon as possible is to the benefit of the team. Him not playing games means he doesn't get fit, which is therefore to the detriment of the team.

It's not rocket science, it's just logic.

If Gerrard and/or Torres were coming back from injury and used in this way it wouldn't be acceptable and it isn't in this scenario either.

Well the first part wouldn't happen so not really worth a comment mate.

We are comparing the importance of Aquilani to Gerrard and Torres now are we? Sound, if he's that good (and I fucking hope so) then yeah but that remains to be seen.

The main importance of tonight wasn't Alberto Aquilani's fitness it was getting the 3 points that would hopefully give us a shout at the last 15 of the European Cup.

If the game was over, ie we was 3-0 at half time, or it didn't matter, ie the Fiorentina game, then sound your point I'd agree with. But it ain't, so I don't.

Well the first part wouldn't happen so not really worth a comment mate.

We are comparing the importance of Aquilani to Gerrard and Torres now are we? Sound, if he's that good (and I fucking hope so) then yeah but that remains to be seen.

The main importance of tonight wasn't Alberto Aquilani's fitness it was getting the 3 points that would hopefully give us a shout at the last 15 of the European Cup.

If the game was over, ie we was 3-0 at half time, or it didn't matter, ie the Fiorentina game, then sound your point I'd agree with. But it ain't, so I don't.

Thanks for just totally reiterating my point for me, yet again. How will we know if he's a fantastic player (obviously Rafa thinks he is based on his comments and the money he spent on him) if he never plays?

Are you suggesting that Aquilani is only useful when we're winning 3-0 or something? How about if we're winning 1-0, he comes on and creates a goal which makes it 2-0.

That would be good wouldn't it?

I'm not even reading that to be honest, mainly due to the fact that you've moaned about being negged for the second time tonight.

Man up will you Jim? I get negged all the time, but you just accept it and move on.

Repping/negging is a private thing, so please don't play to the gallery like that.

Hey, thanks for the neg Ian. Was the "fuck off" aimed at me too?

It's opinions, that's all. No need to take it so personally.

What's our recent run been? I'm sure you know it off by heart. X wins in XX games. No wins in whatever it is. Shit times. We need wins. We needed a win.

We need goals to boost confidence at that end. We need clean sheets to boost confidence at the other.

Aquilani needs games. Fans need entertainment.

But what did Liverpool FC need most tonight?

I'd say, "the win".

Cleans sheets or lots of goals - close but clean sheets sneaks it. We can look at goals when Torres gets back.

Aquilani needs games but he's a fair way down the priorities with a game like tonight's.

Ngog could have stayed on, Yossi comes on (earlier than he did) and goes where Gerrard goes. Gerrard replaces Lucas. I'd have gone for that before bringing Aquilani on myself.

It wasn't the game to play Aquilani just for his fitness levels.

He and Doss came on to waste some time. It could have been Skrtel and Spearing but that way they could just go where the other player had been.

Hopefully he'll take the chance with him at the weekend, a bit more of a chance against Blackburn, then just start him against Fiorentina.

25 minutes, 35 minutes, 90 minutes.

Then it's Arsenal, and by then he should just be playing. And if we're winning that 1-0 with normal time over, taking Aquilani off for Lucas to waste some time wouldn't be negative, it would be sensible.

He should be in the reserves not on the bench: Why? If he's missing the chance to play in the reserves by going with the senior squad then fair enough, but taking a place on the bench isn't really depriving someone of a spot. And he gets to spend time with his teammates, listen to teamtalks, join in at mealtimes, do his magic eye tricks.

Okay I couldn't resist, okay!

The bit in bold I agree with, unfortunately it's been 9, 0, 1.

As for the 'win, win, win' bit, are you suggesting that playing Aquilani would have reduced our chances of winning or something?

Thanks for just totally reiterating my point for me, yet again. How will we know if he's a fantastic player (obviously Rafa thinks he is based on his comments and the money he spent on him) if he never plays?

Are you suggesting that Aquilani is only useful when we're winning 3-0 or something? How about if we're winning 1-0, he comes on and creates a goal which makes it 2-0.

That would be good wouldn't it?

Thanks for putting words in my mouth again.

Given he's nowhere near match fitness he probably shouldn't be brought on in circumstances that could have an adverse effect to the side.

He's obviously, once fit, first choice given the money spent. BUt needs time.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth again.

Given he's nowhere near match fitness he probably shouldn't be brought on in circumstances that could have an adverse effect to the side.

He's obviously, once fit, first choice given the money spent. BUt needs time.

What does that mean?!?! He shouldn't be brought on in a tight game? Why are people suggesting that him coming on would be negative to the team?!?!?!

Not really. 1) If he's available to start he might help get you the goal and you can take him off later to protect the lead. 2) If he's on the bench and you've not scored, sooner or later you should bring him on. 3) If he's on the bench and you do score, it might be better to leave him there and hold on to what you've got.

Tonight it was number 3). He only came on at the very end to help waste some time.

What about number 4) - he NEEDS GAMES TO GET FIT!

If we're winning 1-0 on Sunday and Rafa brings him on for the last half an hour, I can't wait to see your criticism of him.

Clearly there is plenty of room seeing as I have the capacity to think for myself and express MY own views, rather than just blindly follow like a fucking sheep.

So you have the capacity to think for yourself but anyone who thinks otherwise is a fucking sheep? Baaad attitude that mate (and a little pretentious also, if you dont mind me saying)

It is already month or so since Aquilani debuted for reserves. What the fuck is wrong with Rafa?? If player is fit to start in reserve match 5 weeks back and make som substitutions 3 weeks ago, than he must be fit to play these days.

I am sick of this Rafa philosophy. If he wanted player for 2010/11 season, then he should buy him after World Cup for christ sake.

I will support manager of this wonderful club, doesn´t matter who it is, but I can not rememeber any manager who bought a player who not played almost for a year and can not play for another 6 months. Especially when it is your only offensive purchase and costs the only 20 million you have.

Bad, really bad piece of management.