You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

I think he's pretty good at winning the ball, I just wish he'd do more with it once he has won it though.

i actually feel bit sorry for him.i dont rate him at all (thats probably the understatement of the year if i'm honest) but its not his fault that rafa bought him and keeps playing him.masher is the closest weve come to replacing didi but sadly lucas isnt fit to lace either of there boots.

i think he'd be a lot better in spain/france where its not as physical.

Rafa gambled A LOT on Aquilani, but I dont think he expected us to be so shit until Alberto is fully fit.

Is the right answer. I don't think anyone could have anticipated both the depth of our injury crisis and the implosion of form of many of the senior players who were fit.

Rafa gambled A LOT on Aquilani, but I dont think he expected us to be so shit until Alberto is fully fit.

Rafa said that "our medical team" knew what the problem was and would have him fit within a month or two. They were wrong. Roma must be laughing up their sleeve.

During the season so far who does Rafa play instead of Lucas.

Gerrard - Been injured

Aquilani - Been injured

Spearing - Not looked ready in the couple of appearances

Plessis - Not good enough

Nail. Head. We don't have anyone.

Lucas has had to play. I think he's been decent this year to be honest. He's working alot harder than last year. He's never gona give us a 40 yard pass or beat 2 players on a run, but we get honesty from the lad. He doesn't often get caught in possession. He does foul too often in silly areas, but he'll learn not to do that given time.

And no, I'm not a fan of Lucas!

I think that's really naive, to be honest. Rafa changed the system to a more pass and move style, and we're without one of our most influential players, which he knew wouldn't be fit.

That's not gambling. That's madness.

Granted, the injuries have been ridiculous and they aren't Rafa's fault unless you can pin it on the medical staff mishandling the players, the training being too heavy, and/or a problems with the preseason.

Is the right answer. I don't think anyone could have anticipated both the depth of our injury crisis and the implosion of form of many of the senior players who were fit.

Implosion of form is down to the manager to correct. And he hasn't.

And we've been shit when everyone is fit, in fact we've been shit for almost 2 years, bar the odd spell.

And some of our very best performances have been the ones without the "key players", so I just don't buy the injuries line at all either.

I think that's really naive, to be honest. Rafa changed the system to a more pass and move style, and we're without one of our most influential players, which he knew wouldn't be fit.

That's not gambling. That's madness.

Granted, the injuries have been ridiculous and they aren't Rafa's fault unless you can pin it on the medical staff mishandling the players, the training being too heavy, and/or a problems with the preseason.

The draws crippled us last season so in the summer i would imagine Rafa works out that by not having 2 defensive midfielders and signing a fast attacking full back in Johnson this should be enough to convert the draws into wins.

It seemed that Aquilani was supposed to only be out until October so someone has dropped a bollock there.

As ive already posted dropping Gerrard into the centre and having Yossi supporting Torres with Riera on the left would have still left us pretty strong allowing Aquilani when then fit to slot into the system perfectly.

That idea went out of the window when the injuries have struck and in all fairness had Aquilani been fit from the start i still think we would have struggled (probably not as bad as we currently are) with Torres, Agger, Gerrard, Aurelio, Johnson, Riera all spending time on the treatment table.

I think we're in danger of simply blaming everything on injuries this season.

Gerrard and Torres were injured for large parts of last season but we still managed so I don't see why that should be used as an excuse. All teams suffer injuries.

Plus, before the injuries kicked in we were still playing shite with all of the key players involved (Spurs, Villa, Fiorentina etc).

Gerrard and Torres were injured for large parts of last season but we still managed so I don't see why that should be used as an excuse. All teams suffer injuries.

Plus, before the injuries kicked in we were still playing shite with all of the key players involved (Spurs, Villa, Fiorentina etc).

Exactly, Brownie.

And let's not forget that we've also been dicked on by a few pretty average teams who were also missing their own key players - Fulham, Lyon etc.

They should be teh level playing fields, in fact we should have still had teh edge, but they weren't and we didn't.

It just doesn't wash.

We did have another striker of quality for half of that season, though, Brownie. He didn't play as well as he could, mind, but he was involved in some big goals.

... we also had this one guy, who was spanish(I think), and he could like... pass the ball really well, and he was pretty tactically sharp, and wasn't ever out of position.

We did have another striker of quality for half of that season, though, Brownie. He didn't play as well as he could, mind, but he was involved in some big goals.

... we also had this one guy, who was spanish(I think), and he could like... pass the ball really well, and he was pretty tactically sharp, and wasn't ever out of position.

You know who we could sign to play that role? That Alonso from Real Madrid.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Lance, please, not this shit

Again

Lance, please, not this shit

Again

It is a valid point though. Our best players were Torres, Gerrard, and Alonso. You take three of them out of the squad and we're simply fucked.

That's what has happened this year. We haven't replaced Alonso, as Aquilani hasn't really played, and Torres/Gerrard injuries.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
It is a valid point though. Our best players were Torres, Gerrard, and Alonso. You take three of them out of the squad and we're simply fucked.

That's what has happened this year. We haven't replaced Alonso, as Aquilani hasn't really played, and Torres/Gerrard injuries.

Had he not demanded a move to Madrid, then he'd still be here, wouldn't he?

And yes, I know exactly where this is heading, but fuck it, you started it

How on earth can anyone say that injuries have not played a part this season.

Last season Torres and Gerrard were injured but when we went on our run at the end did they feature heavily.

Another note is if it was just Gerrard and Torres that were injured then so be it but like its been put the midfield influence of Alonso is not playing and Aquilani who will fill the void is yet to start a game.

Add to the that the injuries of Riera, Agger, Aurelio and more recently Johnson have all made an impact.

Another point which is important is the fact that players such as Carragher and especially Kuyt all raised their games last season but this season the two players mentioned are way below par, especially Kuyt.

Its alright having a couple of players injured but when more then half the team is out then the majority of clubs will struggle to cope.