You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Working from home

Furmedge

Been working two days at home/three in the office, and the balance is more or less right for me. However I'm at home all the time now because of the bus strike and it's driving me up the fucking wall. Feeling less fit too because I'm struggling to get more than 3,000 steps in and I normally walk 8-9,000 if I'm going into work.

• Upvote 1

On 25/07/2022 at 12:59, Furmedge said:

I now work from home and it's better than I ever imagined.

I have been doing WFH full time since March 2020 and I love it.

I am more effective, i am saving £200 per month on travel and another £200 that i was spending on scran etc during the work day....I don't have about 2-2.5 hrs a day of commuting which i fucking hated and I am able to be more flexible with doing stuff with my lad and other stuff i enjoy like going the gym/rinminh and right now training for the marathon.

Do i nick a bit of time here and there? Yes

Do i give a bit of time here and there i wouldn't have felt able to or want to before? Yes.

I win and the company wins.

I love it.

I never want to go back to the office.

It is all of course a case of each to their own and what works for them - but it works for me big time.

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

If people are walking less because they're WFH more, can you not just go for a walk near where you live? I try and do 10/15 mins first thing, lunchtime and evening.

Go for a walk near where I live? You're a braver man than me.

I usually walk in the middle of the road to avoid the dogshit. Well, most of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

If people are walking less because they're WFH more, can you not just go for a walk near where you live? I try and do 10/15 mins first thing, lunchtime and evening.

I tried to get into the habit of going for a walk, but I got bored. And lazy. And fat.

Love working from home & would never want to go back to an office.  Get so much more done, no commuting, healthier for me as I can get a 50 minute ride in at lunch time & then go again for another hour or so at 4PM.  Can be flexible with hours too so can do the shopping at 7am when it's quiet and the produce is fresh & just work back a bit it needed. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Love working from home & would never want to go back to an office.  Get so much more done, no commuting, healthier for me as I can get a 50 minute ride in at lunch time & then go again for another hour or so at 4PM.  Can be flexible with hours too so can do the shopping at 7am when it's quiet and the produce is fresh & just work back a bit it needed. 

Ooh Matron Kenneth Williams GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

One thing I will say in favour of working in an office is that I've never been interrupted by a cat hunting and eating a butterfly under the table.

Haha- I nearly jumped out of my chair when joining a Teams meeting- our line manager's cat had got onto her desk and went right up to the camera just as I dialled in. Very alarming.

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

I was WFH 3 days out of 5 but our building was flooded about 10 days ago and there doesn't appear to be a return any time soon, so winner. 

Also, get a dog, it literally forces you to have a walk at least twice a day.  

India Buildings by any chance? 

I worked in Wythenshawe since 1998 so was commuting 5 days a week before we had capability to WFH. Used to WFH 1 or 2 days a week prior to lockdown. Also before lockdown, was moved to Manchester city centre and split across there and Wythenshawe. 
Once we started lockdown, I made a point of making an office space in another room - away from the kitchen to stop snacking. Also got more into running which resulted in me going for a run every lunch hour to get away from the desk.
Started going back into office a day or two a week since March and the commuting is killing me - I cant be arsed with the hassle (and expense) of driving into Manchester city centre so have been using train and end up with best part of 2 hours commute each way - most frustrating thing is some days I just end up on back to back Teams calls!! Its nice to see some different faces and catch up with some people but the effort in the actual commute is really pissing me off and there is now talk of increasing the days in the office to 3 days a week - which will be back to what I was doing pre-lockdown. Defo prefer WFH for me!

38 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Haha- I nearly jumped out of my chair when joining a Teams meeting- our line manager's cat had got onto her desk and went right up to the camera just as I dialled in. Very alarming.

I was on a Teams meeting with one of our managers and her cat joined us. As soon as I'd commented on what a nice cat it was, it shoved its arse in her face, bit her, then fucked off.

It's like they don't understand basic meeting etiquette.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I was on a Teams meeting with one of our managers and her cat joined us. As soon as I'd commented on what a nice cat it was, it shoved its arse in her face, bit her, then fucked off.

It's like they don't understand basic meeting etiquette.

Sounds like a metaphor for some of our recent meetings with 'difficult' customers.

Before covid I spent the best of part of 10 years travelling pretty much constantly with work. With Zoom and Teams becoming more popular I can do what I do anywhere really ( I work in IT). If I am delivering training that is better face to face, but outside of that I can do whatever I need to do via a laptop a mobile and a VPN. In terms of putting faces to names and working relationships I'm a contractor so I do my stuff then move on, so thats no biggie. I'm just a pissed off drifter really. Like Jack Reacher. But fatter. And not as hard. And men dont want to be me. Or women want to be with me. So not like Jack Reacher really.

I have a better quality of life and as I waste less time travelling I get more done. Apart from when I'm dicking about on here. Obviously.

• Upvote 3