You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Dirk goals/moments.

Kevin D

There's been some amount of important goals from him. The hat-trick against the mancs, the 3-2 winner against City, the Liege one, the pens against the blueshite & many more.

Love the one he smashed in against Spurs for some reason. Can't find it on youtube but it came across from the left and he smashes it straight into the right hand side of the goal, giving the keeper no chance. Think it was Robinson in nets but could be wrong.

There's been some amount of important goals from him. The hat-trick against the mancs, the 3-2 winner against City, the Liege one, the pens against the blueshite & many more.

Love the one he smashed in against Spurs for some reason. Can't find it on youtube but it came across from the left and he smashes it straight into the right hand side of the goal, giving the keeper no chance. Think it was Robinson in nets but could be wrong.

[YOUTUBE]4bAHUTQS7EQ[/YOUTUBE]

for me, his debut against west ham just summed up what the guy was about. came on and was so pumped up with adreanaline. had about three shots at goal within a couple of minutes of coming on.

Was at that game, sat in the main stand.

There was Feyenoord fans all over the place come over just to see his debut, shows what he meant to them.

I love the guy, he knows what it means to wear the shirt, certain players at the moment do not.

Will be a sad day for me when he leaves.

That's 2 from 2 in cup finals for Liverpool, as well as being cool as a fucking cucumber from the penalty spot. The one and only time he missed a peno for Liverpool I don't think was even that bad a peno, just good reactions from the keeper.

Seriously, keeping him as some sort of mentor at the club once his playing days are over would be brilliant. If he could instill the same level of passion, commitment and hard work he brings to the table each and every time he pulls on the shirt, into players with perhaps more natural talent than he possesses, it'd be fantastic for all concerned with the club.

Dirk Kuyt? Where to begin?

Well personally? Dirk reminds me a Lot of Carlos Tevez for some reason in that they Always score goals off rebounds or deflections from crosses or their own shots etc & Nearly Always score The important goals that decide trophies/rescue games etc - Similar players With the Huge difference that Dirk? Has the commitment & determination to match his (Vastly Underrated) talent that the Sneaky Little Argentine so openly lacks with his history of club-hopping, rebellion & general disruption wherever he goes. Also re' this? I think Dirk's suffered greatly from his versatility in being moved from position to position - When played upfront for extended periods as in the autumn of 2008 & start of 2009 & the Whole of last season when he scored more than he's ever scored for us? He always delivers & starts to score goals by the dozen but because he's done OK on the wings in the past? He's constantly moved to accomodate others in a manner that Peter Crouch once was & that Tevez (who I think is Not as good a player as Kuyt) never has been. In short - If we'd left Dirk upfront for All his Liverpool career? He'd probably have double or more his current total of goals by now & he should be on near permanent Penalty Duty also due to his ability at taking them - Deadliest Spot-Kick taker we've had since Danny Murphy who I've also only ever seen miss once & that was for Fulham a couple of years back - Don't think Spud Ever missed one for us no?

As to favourite moments with Dirk? Sunday was obviously immediately rocketed to the top of the list for what it Means both to him & the club - His first medal & mainly earned by His efforts after coming on & in the shootout - That goal summed him up - An awful first touch followed by an instinctive shot of fearsome power that flashed past the keeper like a guided missile - A real "Have That!!!" Goal that makes you wonder How he hasn't scored more goals sometimes. I've also taken a shine to his obvious recent aversion to United & happy habit of scoring against them & causing them all kinds of problems at Anfield. Finally in the top 3 on my list of Dirk Moments? Has to be the Inter goal a few seasons back. I think without That? He wouldn't still be a Liverpool Player & the reaction to it as the roof Blew off Anfield in celebration was something to hear & see - I think to? It turned that season around and IIRR we went on a fantastic run of mostly wins & Loads of goals after it.

Anyway on the thread title? Will Really miss Dirk when he's gone & hope we Don't make the mistake we made with Hyppia & Fail to retain him on the staff when he's retired - I really think he'd make a great coach or manager when older & who better to be part of a New boot room dynasty together with Clarke, Dalglish & Keen? Also hope his medal & our trophy yesterday that he did So much to help win? Is far from his last with us - If ever a man deserves More medals for his time with us? It's Dirk Kuyt & something tells me? That yesterday was the First of many for both him & us.......................

NB Think Dirk should be the Club's Main Penalty Taker - Unusally for a Dutchman he's Brilliant at them & regularly hits them with both constant accuracy & Such vicious power that the Keeper can't get near the ball & 1 missed from what 9 or so taken? Is a Fearsome record; With even the one Miss taking a save from Tim Howard almost as good as the one from Gerrard yesterday in the shootout which is The greatest penalty save I've seen in a Major Final anywhere. Also you can't underestimate How pressured his peno' was yesterday - Not just after missing his last one back in October but also? We had Already missed 2 in the shootout - Miss that & it's curtains but it says volumes about Dirk that not only was that Not going to happen but that looking at him? You Knew it wouldn't happen & he'd score. He duly obliged & the rest as they say is history - but that Penalty was The all-important moment of the shootout as without it going in? We'd not be celebrating today - Well done Dirk & here's to more of the same in terms of medals for you in the seasons to come................

NBB Anyone noticed Redknapp the younger making yet Another commentating error/Player Name Disaster in that video above on a par with his "Alonso played great at Old Trafford despite his absence on the day with injury" farce of 2009? He says in the video about "Steven Gerrard keeping Kuyt onside" for his goal against Spurs but Watch it & you'll see the Pass through the defence that Kept him onside & unlocked the Spurs backline? Is from none other than Lil' Luis Garcia of fond memory here Not Gerrard as his cheerleader in chief would have you believe. Do your homework Jamie - That cock-up? Was every bit as bad as the one in 2009.

NBBB Finally? Does anyone else think that had we kept Luis Garcia up to & during 2008/2009? We might Just have Won the League Title we came So close to getting that year with Him providing what was missing at that time - Put it this way - I doubt we'd have had So many home draws &/or 0-0's with Lil' Luis in the side. To say he was missed after leaving? Is putting it mildly...............................

Edited by Redshadow

I keep thinking back to a brilliant goal he ALMOST scored, against Atletico Madrid in the Europe League semi final 2nd leg at Anfield. A superb one-touch passing move on the edge of Atletico's penalty area involving Gerrard and Aquilani ended with Kuyt getting a toe-end to Mascherano's cross. Unfortunately the ball went just over the bar with the keeper (De Gea?) beaten. It was the sort of flowing football the team had really struggled to produce all season, and he was so unlucky not to score.

Has to be right up there. It was so instinctually sublime, which of course, coming from Dirk, was preceded by an abjectly average effort.

That's why I love him. The sublime and the ridiculous all wrapped in big package of win.

And there is never a Kuyt thread not improved by this:

El Capricho

I have a confession. The other day, while rolling down I-45 in Houston, Texas, I sinned. My crime? I rolled down the passenger-side window and stared at the outcome of the crash. I took in the surrounding scene: the ambulance, the totaled Honda Civic, the huddled family. I did not feel contempt. I did not feel empathy. I felt fascination. I find myself searching for similar stimuli in the beautiful game. A few nights ago, I pondered over many a quaint and curious YouTube video. I sought the soccer world’s shadowy specter.

goya.jpg

I did not sift through the gruesome. The recent Taylor tackle and Keane assault of 2005 turn my stomach. I prefer Hitchcock to Carpenter. Hopkins and Poe both wrote poetry, but only one poet stalks you in your dreams. Torres and Kuyt both score goals, but only one makes you uneasy by his unnatural gait.

His face would make Dora Maar squirm in her chair. He lumbers around the pitch like Igor, eager to please but shunned by fleet-footed teammates. Yet he scores goals. Benítez defends him using the 21st century discourse of efficiency. I extol him for playing as if in a Goya painting. Kuyt is el capricho of my pesadillas.

Kuyt is the Damian of soccer because he defiles the beautiful game’s consummate act. Against Newcastle and Reading, Kuyt slips as he scores. Todos caeran. Against Chelsea and Aston Villa, he lurks in Crouch’s shadow, clinging to his coattails like a leech. Volaverunt. Against Wigan and Reading, he lowers his head, trading aquellos polbos for goals. He feasts on the children of the Premier League with the ravenous grimace of Saturn.

volaverunt.jpg

Kuyt is no “cult icon”—his blood-red torso is an emblem of the occult. Kuyt is the “thinking man’s player”—because el sueno de la razon produce monstrous. White as a ghost, he floats about the penalty area. Centerbacks flinch nervously, catching brief glimpses out of the corner of their eye.

sleep-of-reason.jpg

My eyes follow Kuyt from the midfield to the top of the box to the corner flag. He screams in amusement. Soplones. Rafa Benítez nervously scratches his chin. De que mal morira? I hear some gentle rapping at my window. I glance away from my laptop screen and catch my reflection. In my image I see Kuyt’s wry smile. A shuffling of cards and we could be the inquisitor, carefully tying the duodenum to the lever and then gleefully twirling the crank. Hahnemann and Shorey huddle and moan in vain protest. Ya es hora.

soplones1.jpg

Kuyt El Capricho - The Run of Play

While he may cause me to utter howls of frustration when he miss-controls a ball on a off day. His contribution down the years in terms of important goals cannot be understated, also his capacity for forward interplay with suarez and bellamy has allowed us to produce some of our better football of late.

Whilst I realise that many footballers are involved in charity organisations he always seems like a really great guy and his foundation is a genuinely worthy thing.

I'll really miss Dirk when he moves on to pastures new.

To the tune of 'Hey Jude':

Dirk Kuyt

Won't be left out

You and Pepe

Will make it better

Remember, the hattrick against the Mancs

Then we give thanks

And make it all better better better better

Naaaaa na na na na naaaaaaaaa

Na na naaaaaa

Dirk Kuyt

• 7 years later...
On 28/02/2012 at 01:18, Redshadow said:

Dirk Kuyt? Where to begin?

Well personally? Dirk reminds me a Lot of Carlos Tevez for some reason in that they Always score goals off rebounds or deflections from crosses or their own shots etc & Nearly Always score The important goals that decide trophies/rescue games etc - Similar players With the Huge difference that Dirk? Has the commitment & determination to match his (Vastly Underrated) talent that the Sneaky Little Argentine so openly lacks with his history of club-hopping, rebellion & general disruption wherever he goes. Also re' this? I think Dirk's suffered greatly from his versatility in being moved from position to position - When played upfront for extended periods as in the autumn of 2008 & start of 2009 & the Whole of last season when he scored more than he's ever scored for us? He always delivers & starts to score goals by the dozen but because he's done OK on the wings in the past? He's constantly moved to accomodate others in a manner that Peter Crouch once was & that Tevez (who I think is Not as good a player as Kuyt) never has been. In short - If we'd left Dirk upfront for All his Liverpool career? He'd probably have double or more his current total of goals by now & he should be on near permanent Penalty Duty also due to his ability at taking them - Deadliest Spot-Kick taker we've had since Danny Murphy who I've also only ever seen miss once & that was for Fulham a couple of years back - Don't think Spud Ever missed one for us no?

As to favourite moments with Dirk? Sunday was obviously immediately rocketed to the top of the list for what it Means both to him & the club - His first medal & mainly earned by His efforts after coming on & in the shootout - That goal summed him up - An awful first touch followed by an instinctive shot of fearsome power that flashed past the keeper like a guided missile - A real "Have That!!!" Goal that makes you wonder How he hasn't scored more goals sometimes. I've also taken a shine to his obvious recent aversion to United & happy habit of scoring against them & causing them all kinds of problems at Anfield. Finally in the top 3 on my list of Dirk Moments? Has to be the Inter goal a few seasons back. I think without That? He wouldn't still be a Liverpool Player & the reaction to it as the roof Blew off Anfield in celebration was something to hear & see - I think to? It turned that season around and IIRR we went on a fantastic run of mostly wins & Loads of goals after it.

Anyway on the thread title? Will Really miss Dirk when he's gone & hope we Don't make the mistake we made with Hyppia & Fail to retain him on the staff when he's retired - I really think he'd make a great coach or manager when older & who better to be part of a New boot room dynasty together with Clarke, Dalglish & Keen? Also hope his medal & our trophy yesterday that he did So much to help win? Is far from his last with us - If ever a man deserves More medals for his time with us? It's Dirk Kuyt & something tells me? That yesterday was the First of many for both him & us.......................

NB Think Dirk should be the Club's Main Penalty Taker - Unusally for a Dutchman he's Brilliant at them & regularly hits them with both constant accuracy & Such vicious power that the Keeper can't get near the ball & 1 missed from what 9 or so taken? Is a Fearsome record; With even the one Miss taking a save from Tim Howard almost as good as the one from Gerrard yesterday in the shootout which is The greatest penalty save I've seen in a Major Final anywhere. Also you can't underestimate How pressured his peno' was yesterday - Not just after missing his last one back in October but also? We had Already missed 2 in the shootout - Miss that & it's curtains but it says volumes about Dirk that not only was that Not going to happen but that looking at him? You Knew it wouldn't happen & he'd score. He duly obliged & the rest as they say is history - but that Penalty was The all-important moment of the shootout as without it going in? We'd not be celebrating today - Well done Dirk & here's to more of the same in terms of medals for you in the seasons to come................

NBB Anyone noticed Redknapp the younger making yet Another commentating error/Player Name Disaster in that video above on a par with his "Alonso played great at Old Trafford despite his absence on the day with injury" farce of 2009? He says in the video about "Steven Gerrard keeping Kuyt onside" for his goal against Spurs but Watch it & you'll see the Pass through the defence that Kept him onside & unlocked the Spurs backline? Is from none other than Lil' Luis Garcia of fond memory here Not Gerrard as his cheerleader in chief would have you believe. Do your homework Jamie - That cock-up? Was every bit as bad as the one in 2009.

NBBB Finally? Does anyone else think that had we kept Luis Garcia up to & during 2008/2009? We might Just have Won the League Title we came So close to getting that year with Him providing what was missing at that time - Put it this way - I doubt we'd have had So many home draws &/or 0-0's with Lil' Luis in the side. To say he was missed after leaving? Is putting it mildly...............................

Get your RedShadow out for the lads. Doctor Troy will be wanking himself silly.

It was mixed messages. He was messing with my head. I lost respect for him, to be honest. He used to phone me up and tell me I was a wonderful guy, and would I like to go and see Tinie Tempah live at the Arena with him - and then he'd not phone back and go with someone else. It was disappointing, to be honest.

23wmf0g.jpg