You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Banks's save v Dudek's save.

The Chief

So which was the best save ever?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. So which was the best save ever?

• Gordon Banks.
    • Jerzy Dudek.
    • I think there was another better than both, please provide video evidence.

Jennings made many a great save.

Was it Stepney in the 73 cup final?

Riena has made some corkers too.[/QUOTE]

He certainly has. I felt the one he tipped onto the bar against Blackburn was the best save I saw last season.

On the matter at hand , must shadow what others have said in that Banks' was technically superior while Jerzy's was totally instinctive.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Clemence from Coppell in the 1979 Cup semi-final.

He made a better one from Gordon McQueen against Leeds at Elland Road; they all pale against Dudek's though; the passing off of that unbelievable moment as "it just him" is an absolute travesty.

Edited by King Emlyn
sp

He made a better one from Gordon McQueen against Leeds at Elland Road; they all pale against Dudek's though; the passing off of that unbelievable moment as "it just him" is an absolute travesty.

The first save certainly didn't just hit him. It was similar to Montgomery's save from Lorimer in the '73 FA Cup Final.

That Seaman save was amazing.

The Coupet header on to the bar and reflex save was pretty special.

I think Banks' save was incredible and better than Dudek's as i am not sure how much Dudek knew about it but it is certainly my favourite save and a bloody miracle!

Higuita's scorpion kick was insane too.

I remember seeing one on Youtube, I think a French team in a Champions League game. Keeper headed a back pass onto his own bar then somehow saved the rebound. Had a quick look and cant find it but I'll keep looking. That was a good save!

YouTube - Best Save Ever - Barcelona vs. Lyon *

Plev, I am a keeper as well. I always pull this save up too when talking about great saves. The stop on the line is brilliant. I don't know why he didn't just catch the ball and take the backpass free kick, but to get up out of his net, get back in front of the line and make the save he did is athleticism of the highest order.

As for the two saves in question, Banks is a country mile ahead of Dudek's. Whilst Dudek got his hands up and had the perfect body position to make the save, ultimately Shevchenko did hit it straight at him. He should have scored, quite simply. Dudek has done all he could - and he was right back on his feet after making a save, but if Shevchenko hits that anywhere else toward the goal and Dudek is watching it go in. After his first season, I was never a big Dudek fan, but that save will always be a special moment for me because there was no doubt the second that ball went over the bar that we were going to win that night. No doubt whatsoever.

But take a look at Banks' save. It is an astonishing piece of goalkeeping. The amount of ground that he has to cover is ridiculous. He had absolutely no right to save it at all. Watch it and watch it again, watch how much he moves his feet. He then has to fly into the bottom corner, out-stretched, full length to flick it away. It's astonishing. He covers the full width of the goal. That's a big area, you don't appreciate how big until you have to patrol it, outfield players!

Banks' is way superior to Dudek, but Dudek's is monumental. I've accidentally voted for another save (Coupet's and Seaman's are particularly brilliant) but you'll have to go a long way to find a better save than Gordon Banks'.

If Paul Cooper had saved a header from Ross Jenkins just like that no fucker would ever remember that. Pele headed the ball, Gordan Banks who would be blinded in one eye within a few months of that saved it. It was Mexico 1970. A world cup in colour. Hugh Johns on commentary. Legendary staus for all............ Great save without doubt but Neville Southall's save against Spurs for the shite was the best save I've ever seen. Despite the fucker being a paraffin lamp he was a brilliant goalie who kept the fuckers up for years. As for Jerzy after that save we knew it was our cup. I'll forgive him forever for fuckin' up against Forlan!

What about clemences save against scotland in 1979 from the Dave Watson deflection, I remember the commentator saying thats why he has only let in 16 goals all season.

As for the debate Dudek every time because he saved it rather than the ball hitting him.

Banks was a great save but if it hadnt been Pele it probably wouldnt be remembered so well

Also Shilton made a better save than that when Forrest won the title.

As a Red Dudek's was the greatest save I've ever seen. He should have scored. Any of us would have scored that 9.9999 times out of 10. Its an absolute miracle that didn't hit the back of the net.

As an honest neutral I think Banks looked better and required alot more skill then Jerzys did. So I voted for that.

Both were amazing though.

I say neither... i mean Banks save looks like an excellent save... but best save ever? thats pushing it seriously.... and Dudeks was more luck than anything i say... looked great and impossible... he seemed like he didnt know anything about it lol...

Dudek's was better. My favourite moment is just after that. Look at Traore's reaction. He's looking up in the air as if to say 'how the fuck did that stay out'. Makes me smile every time I see it. The Dude just nods his head thinking 'piece of piss that!'

I don't agree that it was the better save but it certainly meant a lot more to me.

I do love the look on Dudek's face. He's thinking "something very special just happened."

I remember seeing one on Youtube, I think a French team in a Champions League game. Keeper headed a back pass onto his own bar then somehow saved the rebound. Had a quick look and cant find it but I'll keep looking. That was a good save!

YouTube - Best Save Ever - Barcelona vs. Lyon *

I voted for banks but having seen that one then that gets the nod for me.

simple amazing

Banks' save was excellent, but it seems to have developed a mythology of its own, partly related to the fact it was against Pele, partly because in those days football coverage on TV was limited so it's been replayed over and over and generations of pundits have passed on the perceived wisdom that it was the best save ever. And of course it was by an Englishman, so obviously it must be the best save ever according to our wonderful meeja.

Dudek's save was the most amazing save I have ever seen, although I accept that he didn't know much about it.

Bank's save was far better than Dudek's. I'm a grateful as anyone that Jerzy kept that out but when you watch the replay it was a really lucky save. He showed good reflexes to actually move his hands so quickly, but that's all he did - he put his hand up and hoped the ball would hit it, which thank god it did!

Bank's had to dive full length to his side and claw a ball out that was already behind him. Absolutely no comparison, IMO.