You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Baconface mouthing off again.. what a cunt!

fowler9

Michael Owen should have been awarded an extended holiday period by Liverpool following his exploits for an England Under-20 side before he was propelled into international super-stardom, according to Sir Alex Ferguson, who hints that the striker may have received different treatment had he been educated at Manchester United.

Ferguson's critique coincided with the club's tour of Malaysia, where Owen excelled in a 1997 tournament for the U-20's, he was immediately reintroduced to the Liverpool team upon his return to England, and then the following summer was afforded little break as he aided England's cause in the 1998 World Cup.

Ferguson is quoted by Sport as saying, “We had Ronnie Wallwork and John Curtis playing in that England Under-20 squad in Malaysia in 1997 and when they came back we gave them six weeks off. But Michael went straight into the Liverpool first team then a year later was playing in the World Cup for England.

“That was unfair to a young player to have that kind of strain and intensity one summer after another.”

“I wouldn’t have done that but he was such a talent that Liverpool needed him in the team and then England needed him in the World Cup.”

Ferguson then added that he fully expects Owen to repay the faith that the Scot has given him, and that he will silence his very vocal critics.

“Experience is vital and I know Michael will score a lot of goals for us.

“He will give us experience in the penalty box. That is what he has been great at for years.”

nothing to do with Ronnie Wallwork and John Curtis not being near good enough for first team then?!

dick head

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“We had Ronnie Wallwork and John Curtis playing in that England Under-20 squad in Malaysia in 1997 and when they came back we gave them six weeks off. But Michael went straight into the Liverpool first team then a year later was playing in the World Cup for England.
Yeah and look where they ended up.

we're having a party when Ferguson dies

jelly and ice cream when Ferguson dies

pass the parcel when Ferguson dies

strippers and whores when Ferguson dies

tail on the donkey when Ferguson dies

musical chairs when Ferguson dies

Probably true.

Ferguson could afford to rest players back then, but we didn't have enough quality. Without Owen for those seasons it'd have been a mid-table fest.

No doubt. My memory's terrible, but was that the season Fowler was out for the majority?

Fuck me, some of you are really touchy, take a step back and look at what he's said, it is true you know, I've said the same and so have many other posters on here, he's paying the price for playing so much while he was still growing.

That is not the point though, yet Another Fergie thread clogging up the forum. Why couldn't it be added to the many other hundred or so threads about him.

It may be true in what he is saying but he should point the finger at Houllier as he was the manager at the time. And plus those players he mentions were shit compared to Owen. He is just trying the mind games before the season starts and again some of our fans are falling for it. Rafa will laugh this off because Rafa had nothing to do with it, and very few left at the club (coaching staff) are still here.

No doubt. My memory's terrible, but was that the season Fowler was out for the majority?

Exactly. That season we had Fowler missing for long periods, so only had Owen and Riedle as options, with perhaps Berger as another. We'd already sold Collymore to Villa. McManaman actually played further forward after Fowler's injury, and proceded to go on a relative hot streak.

Not bringing money or spending into the equation, but ManU had Cole, Solksjaer and Sheringham up front (not home grown either), and could use Giggs if required.

In short, Owen had to feature more through necessity than design. Although he was excellent and worth his place at the time.

Michael Owen should have been awarded an extended holiday period by Liverpool following his exploits for an England Under-20 side before he was propelled into international super-stardom, according to Sir Alex Ferguson, who hints that the striker may have received different treatment had he been educated at Manchester United.

Ferguson's critique coincided with the club's tour of Malaysia, where Owen excelled in a 1997 tournament for the U-20's, he was immediately reintroduced to the Liverpool team upon his return to England, and then the following summer was afforded little break as he aided England's cause in the 1998 World Cup.

Ferguson is quoted by Sport as saying, “We had Ronnie Wallwork and John Curtis playing in that England Under-20 squad in Malaysia in 1997 and when they came back we gave them six weeks off. But Michael went straight into the Liverpool first team then a year later was playing in the World Cup for England.

“That was unfair to a young player to have that kind of strain and intensity one summer after another.”

“I wouldn’t have done that but he was such a talent that Liverpool needed him in the team and then England needed him in the World Cup.”

Ferguson then added that he fully expects Owen to repay the faith that the Scot has given him, and that he will silence his very vocal critics.

“Experience is vital and I know Michael will score a lot of goals for us.

“He will give us experience in the penalty box. That is what he has been great at for years.”

nothing to do with Ronnie Wallwork and John Curtis not being near good enough for first team then?!

dick head

So when Owen breaks down and spends the last three quarters of the season on the Physio table and we're laughing and pointing at him - he can say "It's their fault for playing him too much". Which of course will only serve to highten the hillarity of the situation!!!!!

Owen came in at the right time. We had Robbie out for most of the season, we had nobody else to turn to. I blame England for burning him out.

Not that I care about the broken little traitor anymore. Fuck him and his club.

The man is a complete and utter bollock - I wonder why the Journo didn't ask him about Marcheda last season? Needs must.

Owen's current status of being a cripple has nothing to do with the way we handled him. Why is Hargreaves always injured? Is it because Bayern were playing him from a young age? Don't see Ferguscum having a pop at Bayern for giving them a broken footballer.

And Rooney, the fat cunt, was played to death as a 16 year old who also played for England so early in his career. Why doesn't he say anything about the BS?

Curtis and Wallwork - LOL. Who the fuck even remembers them? What an absurd comparasion from the senile old cunt.

That is not the point though, yet Another Fergie thread clogging up the forum. Why couldn't it be added to the many other hundred or so threads about him.

It may be true in what he is saying but he should point the finger at Houllier as he was the manager at the time. And plus those players he mentions were shit compared to Owen. He is just trying the mind games before the season starts and again some of our fans are falling for it. Rafa will laugh this off because Rafa had nothing to do with it, and very few left at the club (coaching staff) are still here.

My post wasn't actually directed at you, was aimed at those getting worked up by what he said. And yes the whiskey addled twat should not get a new fucking thread every time he opens his mouth and spews more shit, I couldn't give a fuck what he's said or done and I'm sure the majority on here feel the same and yet we have hysterical ninnies analyzing his every word and treating his every statement as a personal affront. As for what he has actually said this time he's clearly getting his excuses in early so he can blame us once lil' Mikey breaks in October and he'll hope that this will divert the ire of those spazzoids that support that club away from him.

Guest Dog Chaser

Fergie can fuck off, Kennys_spell is correct about Marcheda. But with Curtis and Wallwork going on to become world-beaters after theie 6 week break maybe he has a point.

In hindsight maybe Liverpool and England did push Michael Owen too much at an early age but it was clearly a case of needs must with our lack of striking options at the time and Owen being one of Englands best strikers, even at 17/18