You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sir Bobby Robson dead

Rico1304

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was everything that so many of today's deluded football bosses were not: dignified, respectful and modest. You couldn't imagine him flying off the handle about a rival manager's innocuous hand gesture on the touchline or kicking football boots at his charges in the dressing room. Top guy, I will miss him.

A fantastic and moving tribute from Ferguson:

"I was never too big or proud to ask him for advice which he gave freely and unconditionally. And I'm sure I am speaking for a lot of people when I say that.

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. I mourn the passing of a great friend, a wonderful individual, a tremendous football man and somebody with passion and knowledge of the game that was unsurpassed.

"His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being. He added his own qualities to that which then he passed on to his sons.

"The strength and courage he showed over the past couple of years when battling against his fifth bout of cancer was indescribable. Always a smile, always a friendly word with never a mention of his own problems.

"The world, not just the football world, will miss him. Let's hope it won't be long before another like him turns up because we could never get enough of them."

I'm very sad to hear this news. He had cancer several times and kept battling on throughout. A real gentleman and true football man. He would not have looked out of place as our manager at some point in his career. His teams played good football too.

He will be sorely missed.

RIP Bobby Robson.

I can only echo everyone else's sentiments. It's not often in football that you have a manager who everyone seems to love.

I was in work today when the news broke and there are quite a lot of Sunderland fans in our place. Every single one of them was gutted about this, which says it all.

RIP Bobby.