You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

babel

mooch84

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you can tell whether a player might be the real deal by looking at basic things in their game.

Can they head a ball? How do they control a ball? etc.

Babel has the potential (that word again) to be a beast of a player, but I don't think that it's his attitude that's the problem, that he can or can't be arsed.

He isn't brave.

Babel hardly ever wins headers despite being over 6ft tall and a physical presence.

He's like the Lion in the Wizard of Oz, he needs to get some courage into his game.

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can coach bravery into a player, they're either brave or they're not.

If they aren't then they won't cut it in the Premier League, as defenders will always know they can scare the shit out of them and make them go missing in games.

• 2 weeks later...

Still hope for Babel? I think he's looked a different player this pre season.

He's working far harder, looks fitter, sharper and hungry.

Still don't think he should play on the left, but he might just be a pleasant surprise this season.

definately the make or break season for babel, he is out of excuses like being young and missing preseason last year due to injury and then the olympics.

not worth getting on his back now just wait and see how the season plays out, he may surprise us, I'm not holding my breath though and this is coming from a fan.

Hasn't he scored against Chelsea, Arsenal and the Mancs? Plus probably had his best game last season against Real Madrid.

The amount of blind alleys he goes down against decent full backs and loses the ball is scary. He has fantastic natural speed, strength and always felt he should become a good player (backed up by his once in a while excellent cameos against good oppositon)- just lost faith in him ever realising the talent.

I tought last season was a big one for him and well he was poor and I am being polite there.

I just don't think he has it upstairs as Hermes said, love to be proved wrong, which I quite often am but I doubt it on this occassion.

seems to be a little bit of optimism about him, but if he has another disaster of a season, we will be lucky to find someone who will take him off our hands, and considering we paid around 11 mil for him that it looks like we may have been stung