You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

One of English football’s leading power-brokers has confirmed he is acting on behalf of a “UAE-based business consortium” in talks to acquire the English Premier League club Everton.

Chris Nathaniel, the managing director of NVA Management – a multi-faceted entertainment agency whose clients include England defenders John Terry and Rio Ferdinand, Manchester City striker Robinho and the Jamaican sprint sensation Usain Bolt – last night revealed he had already met with the Merseyside club.

“I can confirm I am acting on behalf of a UAE-based business consortium, who are chaired by a prominent Dubai businessman, and that I am currently in discussions with a number of Premier League clubs, one of which is Everton Football Club,” said Nathaniel.

Two Premier League clubs are already owned by UAE nationals – Sheikh Mansour’s Manchester City and Sulaiman al Fahim’s Portsmouth.

However, a source close to the Everton deal said the country’s stake in world football’s richest league is about to grow. “They have visited the club and discussed future plans and figures, and Nathaniel is now waiting for instructions from his client,” said the source, who added that “could be sooner rather than later”.

“I expect an official approach and offer to Everton in a short space of time,” the source said. “The interesting proposition for the group is Everton’s new stadium plans. Nathaniel’s client’s vision – for whichever club he ultimately owns – is to build a football village alongside the ground.

“It’s about purchasing a club as a viable business proposition. It’s not about owning a trophy, it’s a sound business venture.

“Football clubs aren’t being maximised as brands and this consortium want to keep fans at the club after the game, offering them restaurants and a football village to spend their money in – it’s about making an entire match day experience.”

Nathaniel revealed details about his client’s strategy to increase his purchased club’s leisure and marketing revenues, and said this group are not the first from the region to approach him.

“Lots of Middle East-based individuals and groups are approaching me about Premier League clubs. There is a real appetite in the region,” he said.

He went on: “In this case, I’ve been approached because of my background in the entertainment industry. I can bring that element of big celebrity names and concerts – I can help realise my client’s plans to make a football club a wider entertainment platform. The Middle East understands the entertainment element, and how introducing it to football clubs can turn loss-making vehicles into profit-making ones.”

While talks with Everton, owned by the theatre impresario Bill Kenwright, are the most advanced, the source said Nathaniel has been instructed to approach several clubs – one of which is Everton’s Merseyside rivals, Liverpool.

“Talks have happened with the people who instruct on [Liverpool owner] Tom Hicks’ behalf, but it’s very early stages and it will take time.” confirmed the source.

“The client has requested a lot of information and until that is back, they can’t rule Liverpool out.”

What better way of lowering the price of LFC than by stating your intention to buy Everton ?

Thats my 'grasping at straws' spin on that....

it really makes me sad to see football like this, i'm still seriously considering selling on my ST and not continuing on with it next year

I've felt like that for years now mate, but as soon as the renewal date approaches I just can't help myself.

One more league title then that's it for me...honest!

If we win the league without Petrol Dollars and Russian blood money it will be one of the best achievements in this league's history. I am totally sick of this dirty money now, I'd rather do without.

So - bearing in mind football costs money, what money do you consider 'clean'?

Guest simon

From the beeb.

1040 BST: Everton have distanced themselves from suggestions that they are in negotiations to sell the club to a Middle East consortium. (Various)

[/quoteIT]

Getting their excuses in early as ever.

There are a few rumours doing the rounds that the reason the Refinance has not been given/announced yet is beacuase H&G, the banks and some unamed as yet third party - supposedly Middle-eastern are in advanced talks.

Probably complete bollocks.

I'm starting to fucking hate Football.

Aye, it's becoming little more than a dick waving contest between the world's richest and least classy people.

This was always on the cards with the bitters though, because that's what fate is like.

There are a few rumours doing the rounds that the reason the Refinance has not been given/announced yet is beacuase H&G, the banks and some unamed as yet third party - supposedly Middle-eastern are in advanced talks.

Probably complete bollocks.

Getting some filthy rich owners in would be great (compared to the tramps that own us now), getting rich owners after they turned down Everton would be even better.

But it's probably bollocks - every rumour about an "imminent" take over usually is.

So - bearing in mind football costs money, what money do you consider 'clean'?[/QUOTE]

Good point. The simple fact of the matter is if you want to be successful you need money. I don't agree with the scatter-gun approach Chelsea and City have adopted of basically trying to buy 11 new players. But in fairness there are a lot of Liverpool fans crying out for us to sign the Likes of David Silva or David Villa...to do that we need money, and I don't mean money on loan, which is all we've got at the moment. If we could get an investor in the club who was committed to the spirit of the club but was also willing to bankroll one or two top class signings each year I think the club would be in a must better position...where we'll find an investor like that is the major problem however.

That's the major stumbling block for every club RedJim, everyone would like their club to be owned by a rich, staunch, supporter who would not expect anything back for investment save a shiny thing or league title every so often.

By their very nature, people with loads of money generally get it by being ruthless and calculating every penny, hence, they want a return on their investment.

The next step will be that the owners of the biggest clubs will get their heads together, a la Kerry Packer, and threaten a breakaway super league unless they are allowed to negotiate their own tv rights etc (as Real & Barca do now?), and eventually there will be an "NFL of Football", but probably based in Europe, complete with draft picks and franchises in all the big cities.