You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. If Benitez can't do that then perhaps we need to look elsewhere. Mourinho's pre-season record is outstanding...

No need to be a twat about it. I can disagree with something he does without wanting rid of him. Surely most people's brains are big enough to encompass concepts like that?

And where the fuck is Hammill? I'm just gonna stop asking. Would really like to see Nemeth and Pacheco at least playing in the League cup this season though, and this could be the time they help Rafa agree to think about that with a few goals.

That moment where Pacheco went on that run and almost scored the other night.....I just loved that. Maybe with more confidence it's possible he could be really amazing.

And where the fuck is Hammill? I'm just gonna stop asking. Would really like to see Nemeth and Pacheco at least playing in the League cup this season though, and this could be the time they help Rafa agree to think about that with a few goals.

That moment where Pacheco went on that run and almost scored the other night.....I just loved that. Maybe with more confidence it's possible he could be really amazing.

Was Hammill brought along on the trip? (unless you're being sarcastic and I'm taking it seriously). I thought he was on loan to Barnsley or something.

Ok but hear me out for a second here-

Hes fast and strong, probably one of our fastest players over 1km

Hes direct, he doesnt even like turning

Hes one of the top 5 finishers in the world, look how he lobbed VDS

Hes starting left back for the best team in the world and champions of all time

Hes Italian so hes passionate and strong and fast

All the ingredients of the next Ronaldo!!

You aren't real, are you? You're like a computer somewhere that randomly joins forums and posts to confuse those pesky humans, right?

No need to be a twat about it. I can disagree with something he does without wanting rid of him. Surely most people's brains are big enough to encompass concepts like that?

Not clear I was kidding? Problem is I hate using smileys, should be a clearer non-gay way of communicating sarcasm over the interweb.

Not clear I was kidding? Problem is I hate using smileys, should be a clearer non-gay way of communicating sarcasm over the interweb.

Ok my mistake. You never know sometimes on here whether someone is going to try to polarise your viewpoints to an extreme.

Are you saying we used the exact same team in the pre-season that we did in the opening 4 matches?

Nah.... Just saying the season we performed worst in pre season, we took that form with us into the season, getting our worst start in ages.

In may be a coincidence though, just thought i`d mention it.

Are you saying we used the exact same team in the pre-season that we did in the opening 4 matches? I don't remember our pre-season that year but I would reckon we didn't. Not to mention it was a World Cup summer meaning there would have been other reasons affecting play.

A lot of the teams under Shankly and Paisley had some pretty pathetic pre-seasons only to go on and achieve some major things the following May.

Pre-season is only about getting your fitness levels up in my opinion and giving the younger ones a bit of a chance to play with the first team. Other than that it's pointless and I don't really give a crap about results.

But aren't you missing the point rather?

Perhaps if we had given the players a chance to play in the sort of lineup and formation they played in those opening games before starting, we would have picked up more points. I.e. we didn't start the season with a team resembling the ones in pre-season and that could be a contributing factor to why they started rusty.

A lot of the teams under Shankly and Paisley had some pretty pathetic starts to the season and went on to win things in May too, but back then you didn't have to win such a high percentage of games to win the league, so you could start badly and play your way into form. Identical actually to the way Benitez's Valencia teams played in the Spanish League, where it's not so important to maximise your points throughout the season.

I don't give a crap about the results either, but I do give a crap about the performances, because if you predicate your entire pre-season on fitness, and don't pay attention to match practice or form then you will start badly, and you'll be struggling to put on an early lead or to catch up if you fall behind.

It's a criticism which I think can be levelled fairly at Rafa throughout his tenure here, and although I don't think our bad starts are entirely down to pre-season selections in friendlies, I just don't see how it helps not to get your team playing the way you want it to before the season starts rather than after.

By the way, I hate it when people throw out the Shanks and Paisley would have done this or done that line. I was lucky enough to support Liverpool while Bob was managing us at least, and one thing he was is a winner. He would have done anything necessary to get his teams winning trophies, not stuck to some archaic way of doing things just because it worked in the past. From what I know of Shankly he was just as much an innovator, so don't throw the way they did things at me as some excuse never to look to the future.