You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Midfielders to replace Alonso if he goes.

Code

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 million plus Snejder would be a good deal.

If we replace Alonso with Lee fucking Cattermole we will be as bad as the Mancs replacing the ladyboy and Tevez with Valencia and Owen.

Ye I agree, we need someone of equal quality in for Alonso.

We might do that, but i wouldn't say we need to. And plus, there are very few players as middle of the road as Barry is.

Cambiasso would be ideal if a little unlikely. Might just persuade Masch to sign on for the long-term too.

Sorry I didn't mean that's what we need to look for, I meant that's what we should look for if we're trying to second guess Benitez as I think he will carry on down that road and essentially buy a traditional CM, if not one that's slightly more defensively minded like Barry as opposed to, say, Schnieder who's a CM who is very attack minded. By looking at what he was looking to do last year we can predict what he's trying to do this year albeit without an obvious Barry type player of the level that we need and within budget that I can think of.

There is a strong arguement that when playing 4-2-3-1 the "2" need to be predominently defensively minded.

I'll post this here as the Xabi thread has been ruined.

I think we need to be careful, I take that Xabi will need replacing but are most glaring deficiency is in the wide area. I don't rate Riera, Babel or Kuyt despite some of their obvious strengths. We needed an attacking midfield player of quality at the start of this summer and have done since 2004. Gerrard and Torres cannot do it on their own.

As for Aquilani, he is injury prone although pretty good on the ball but he isn't really good enough to replace Xabi Alonso in my view but you never know really. Lee Cattermole would be an okayish buy but only if Lucas is being sold and to be honest why bring in Cattermole when we can give Spearing a go?

It will be interesting to see what Rafa does, anything less than a title challenge isn't good enough.

Cattermole is great at chasing down and generally being a fuckin nuisance. Distribution can be poor though, and he gets caught on the ball too often.

Having said that, the team he plays in might make a difference.

I think we need to be careful, I take that Xabi will need replacing but are most glaring deficiency is in the wide area. I don't rate Riera, Babel or Kuyt despite some of their obvious strengths. We needed an attacking midfield player of quality at the start of this summer and have done since 2004. Gerrard and Torres cannot do it on their own.

As for Aquilani, he is injury prone although pretty good on the ball but he isn't really good enough to replace Xabi Alonso in my view but you never know really. Lee Cattermole would be an okayish buy but only if Lucas is being sold and to be honest why bring in Cattermole when we can give Spearing a go?

It will be interesting to see what Rafa does, anything less than a title challenge isn't good enough.

Good shout. I'd sign Miguel Veloso from Sporting, me.

Cattermole is great at chasing down and generally being a fuckin nuisance. Distribution can be poor though, and he gets caught on the ball too often.

Having said that, the team he plays in might make a difference.

He's the new Robbie Savage .. :whistle:

Have a look at Kuyt's first goal against Wigan last season. When Agger is striding forward Cattermong dives into about three tackles and botches them all.

He's shit. He should never be allowed anywhere near a Liverpool shirt unless it's someone brushing past him. Again.

alonso had two good seasons out of four......his first and last..........plus i think hes good at home but goes missing away a bit.we dont need a passing play maker,we need a player who goes box to box and can score & create 10+ goals a season.am sure rafa could buy "a passer" & a "box to boxer" for £25-30m

alonso had two good seasons out of four......his first and last..........plus i think hes good at home but goes missing away a bit.we dont need a passing play maker,we need a player who goes box to box and can score & create 10+ goals a season.am sure rafa could buy "a passer" & a "box to boxer" for £25-30m

Who then?

As for your suggestion that he 'goes missing' didn't he score all his goal's last season away from home?

I'm not being nasty or anything here but Rash, why don't you create a signature and put the following into it:

I don't rate Kuyt.

If Rafa doesn't challenge for the title, I want him out.

We need wingers.

It would save you a hell of a lot of typing.

I'd rather we put Gerrard back into centre midfield, rather than signing a relatively poor midfielder.

At least Gerrard can get goals and assists from this area, as well as enabling us to control games.

Getting a top player to link up with Torres, will be easier than finding a top midfielder in my opinion.

There is a strong arguement that when playing 4-2-3-1 the "2" need to be predominently defensively minded.

I don't really buy that as I think they can be equally attack and defence. Kind of like a 5-5 as the 2 players infront of the defence alternate between defence and attack. Of course when one attacks the other has to be making sure to cover, and for it to work well they'd both have to be good at both. Or you could have say an average defender but the other one would have to be great at it. So you could have Masch doing that job and give the other player more freedom to go forward.

Of course if the player can't defend at all the system breaks down when Masch goes forward, so they need to be able to defend aswell if needed.

Why not? It's not like we've had our best two league seasons of the last ten years when Gerrard has been playing off a striker, is it?

We had our second best season with Gerrard on the right, but it doesn't mean he should have stayed in that position.

It's about producing the best Liverpool team, not the best position for Gerrard personally.

Ideally I'd keep Gerrard where he is as he links up superbyly with Torres and I think he's the best supporting striker in the world.

But I can't think of too many players who can replace Alonso and I think it might be easier to fuind someone to partner Torres (Aguero / Silva / Villa etc), rather than getting a top central midfielder.

So it'll be easier to buy David Villa and move 'the best supporting striker in the world' out of position than to find someone somewhere capable of playing in our midfield? Er... think I might leave that one where I found it.

I wish Xabi had been regarded as this irreplaceable when people wanted him permanently dropped to the bench the season before last.