You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murdoch's Scum Credentials All In Order I See

Anubis

Interesting piece from the Telegraph about how Murdoch could get done in the US even if he escapes over here. I'd imagine there a quite a few in the current administration who would love to shaft the owners of Fox News

James Murdoch 'could face prosecution' in US and UK over hacking scandal - Telegraph

Rupert Murdoch's embattled son could face criminal charges after he acknowledged approving out of court settlements to hacking victims and admitted misleading parliament, although he insisted he did not do so deliberately.

Allegations that News of the World journalists also made payments to police officers could also leave Mr Murdoch exposed to prosecution in the US, where Mr Murdoch is listed as deputy chief operating officer of his father Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp, the parent company of paper publishers News International.

Under American law, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) makes it a crime for American companies to offer corrupt payments to foreign government officials.

If the allegations of payments to police officers are proven, Mr Murdoch could face an American prosecution in his role as deputy chief operating officer the US-listed News Corp.

In 2009, the former Hollywood producer Gerald Green was jailed for six months after being prosecuted under the FCPA for making $1.8m (£1.1m) in bribes to a Thai government official.Butler University law professor Mike Koehler, an FCPA expert, told The Guardian: "I would be very surprised if the US authorities don't become involved in this [News International] conduct."

He said the FCPA could be invoked because News Corp is an American company and because the alleged payments would have been made in order for the newspaper to make money from the stories obtained.

Brett Pulley, media correspondent for the Bloomberg news agency in New York, said: “If the fall out were to continue, my goodness, if it were to impact James, then we start to talk about it impacting News Corp’s succession plan, so that affects the company globally.”

Paul Farhi, media correspondent for The Washington Post, added: “There’s a whole domino effect. What else falls apart? Do bankers get nervous?

“He [Rupert Murdoch] had one flirtation with bankruptcy in the early 90s. He’s very dependent on the goodwill of Wall Street and of bankers.

“His company is very profitable now — it’s not quite the same as the 1990s — but he doesn’t want these dominoes to keep toppling …

“The fact he shut down a newspaper reflects how seriously the scandal is affecting a whole empire.”

Meanwhile in Britain, Mr Murdoch's admission that he made out of court settlements to victims of phone hacking could leave him vulnerable to prosecution under anti-snooping legislation.

Alan Johnson MP, the Labour home secretary from June 2009 to May 2010, suggested that Mr Murdoch could be charged under the Regulation of Investigative Powers Act 2000, which covers the “criminal liability of directors”.

It emerged in evidence to a Commons committee in 2009 that Mr Murdoch was aware of a breach of privacy claim by Gordon Taylor, the head of the Professional Footballers’ Association, and had agreed with a decision to settle for £700,000.

Mr Johnson pointed to Mr Murdoch’s statement on Thursday in which he said: “The paper made statements to Parliament without being in the full possession of the facts. This was wrong. The company paid out-of-court settlements approved by me. I now know that I did not have a complete picture when I did so. This was wrong and is a matter of serious regret.”

In a press conference on Friday, Mr Cameron was asked whether Mr Murdoch remained a fit and proper person to run a large company, following his admission that he personally approved out-of-court payments.

The Prime Minister replied: “I read the statement yesterday. I think it raises lots of questions that need to be answered and these processes that are under way are going to have to answer those questions.”

James Murdoch, the deputy chief operating officer of News Corp, has been at the forefront of most of the company’s recent response to the scandal.

By contrast, his father kept an unusually low profile at the technology and media summit in Sun Valley, Idaho, attending with his wife, Wendi, and son Lachlan. He is due, however, to fly to London today to discuss the phone-hacking scandal.

Corporate governance experts in America already believe News Corp’s annual meeting in October could lead to a showdown between Rupert and shareholders over his son’s involvement in the telephone hacking affair. Experts said they could try to block his re-election to the board.

There has also been speculation that Ofcom, the broadcasting regulator, could withdraw BSkyB’s licence to broadcast in Britain because of the scandal.

BSkyB’s share price dropped to 750p by the close on Friday, down 7.6 per cent at a five-month low and wiping £1 billion off the value of the company.

Just watched the shambolic fucktard McMullan on BBC Sunday Morning Live he was on with Peter Hitchens and Derek Hatton. Car crash telly as McMullan admitted to more phone hacking ("That story came from hacking as well! Oh, maybe I shouldn't be saying that on air..."), explained how the NotW paid people more money the more they embellished their stories and then admitted to being on the run from the police which is why he's had the same clothes on for five days. Says the police "asked" him to report to a police station to be arrested but he's not going to because he was only writing the truth ... "and what better way to get to the truth than listen to someone's phone messages".

I can hardly believe he's real.

I saw this and I couldnt believe my ears. The guy is an odious cunt of the highest order and looked a right fucking mess.

He was very worried , you could see it a mile off.

Pity the police weren't watching Sunday Morning Live, as they could have sent a patrol to the studio to pick him up. He does look and sound like he's on drugs.

He left the studio before the programme ended; probably realised it was time he got on the move again. The story he remembered came from hacking was the Neil and Christine Hamilton rape allegations - sure we'll be hearing more about that this week.

Wouldn't be surprised if Murdoch has him bumped off before the police catch up with him, he exposes more about News Corps methods every time he opens his mouth. Mysterious traffic accident or suicide coming up I reckon.

The whole phone hacking thing is a non-issue. Would there have been such outrage had the hacking uncovered some major crime: Huntley, Dowler, the London bombings, etc.? Where do we draw the line? It's ok as long as it's for the right moral reasons? Who's to judge that one? Reporters have been rummaging around bins for years. They'll do anything to get a story. That's their job.

Wade and Coulson are objects of derision and hatred for good reason, but for goodness' sake, their job is (was) to sell newspapers. I despise them for countless reasons, but hacking into phones? Nah. We the british public buy into all their filth.

If there are reasons to be angry, why not try:

The relationship between the press and the police that enables either side to act beyond the law, whether through bribery, tip-offs, non-attributable leaks, intrusions of privacy and much more.

The toothless nature of the Press Complaints Commission; an organisation funded by the very newspapers it is supposed to be policing.

Cameron's irresponsibility.

Lies told to parliament.

The disgraceful way both the Labour Party and the Tories have pandered to Murdoch. Blair is particularly reprehensible in this regard.

The enormous power Murdoch wields across nations.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The whole phone hacking thing is a non-issue. Would there have been such outrage had the hacking uncovered some major crime: Huntley, Dowler, the London bombings, etc.? Where do we draw the line?

Well, those things would have prevented horrific murders. There's a difference between the 'in the public interest' and 'interest in the public' (thanks Hugh). Those things have a purpose outside of solely selling a paper. Any information on those events should have been passed onto the police, and in some cases onto MI5, not 'reported' on by journalists.

The whole phone hacking thing is a non-issue. Would there have been such outrage had the hacking uncovered some major crime: Huntley, Dowler, the London bombings, etc.? Where do we draw the line? It's ok as long as it's for the right moral reasons? Who's to judge that one? Reporters have been rummaging around bins for years. They'll do anything to get a story. That's their job..

I think you've got a point there.

One thing about modern society and the culture of 'spin' which permeates society and institutions now is just how difficult it is to actually get at the truth, to get at any facts and report them.

For example. Up until, say, 10-15 years ago. A newspaper reporter would often shoot the shit with some coppers. Go for a game of pool or a pint (very often buy the pints) and get the lowdown on crime on his patch. It was common, it was part of the job, cultivating 'sources' would make or break a journo's career.

Now it's all change. Coppers will redirect you to the press office, they won't say a word to you -ever - under any circumstances. All you have to go on is what the police press office tells you, and the press office is there for one reason - to control what the police call 'the fear of crime'. in other words, put a spin on it.

A journo could hear someone got stabbed in a bar, go to the police for a comment, and the police might say the person was merely assaulted. When it gets to court, it turns out they were in fact stabbed in the eye and it was gang-related, all of which is information the police did not want to get out because it makes it look like they're doing a shit job.

When the story runs, the people who saw the incident and gossiped about it down the pub just think the reporter hasn't done their job and the newspaper is shit. When they DO get all the facts, how do they think they've come by them? Very often through someone in the police talking out of school.

Under current circumstances, if police scanners still worked, illegal or no I'd seriously consider buying one.

I've posted photo 4 from the slideshow.

Gallery: Preparing the Irish News of the World’s final edition · The Daily Edge

Gallery: Preparing the Irish News of the World’s final edition

THE IRISH NEWS of the World put out its final edition this morning after a phone hacking scandal put an end to the publication’s 168-year history.

Some 22 people lost jobs at the Irish edition, as well as a number of freelancers. So what were the last moments inside the paper’s Dublin offices like? Photographer Kate Horgan documented the final moments of an institution, as staff prepared to walk out for the last time.

endoftheworld04-273x400.jpg

It doesn't seem to be a very well-sourced claim as it doesn't provide a source or a name for the private investigator.

....as a former New York cop made the 9/11 hacking claim. He alleged he was contacted by News of the World journalists who said they would pay him to retrieve the private phone records of the dead.

Now working as a private *investigator, the ex-officer claimed reporters wanted the victim’s phone numbers and details of the calls they had made and received in the days leading up to the atrocity.

A source said: “This investigator is used by a lot of journalists in America and he recently told me that he was asked to hack into the 9/11 victims’ private phone data. He said that the journalists asked him to access records showing the calls that had been made to and from the mobile phones belonging to the victims and their *relatives.

“His presumption was that they wanted the information so they could hack into the *relevant voicemails, just like it has been shown they have done in the UK. The PI said he had to turn the job down. He knew how insensitive such research would be, and how bad it would look.

“The investigator said the *journalists seemed particularly interested in getting the phone records belonging to the British victims of the attacks.”

Read more: Phone hacking: 9/11 victims 'may have had mobiles tapped by News of the World reporters' - mirror.co.uk

Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

Spot the Murdoch papers, this could get messy for Murdoch's whole entire shit, look how ridiculous his papers look and his whole empire could crumble now the 9/11 shit, the BSKYB licence and how daft his other media look if they look the other way,(they cant afford to and cant afford not to) the US have frowned and they could take him by their own laws, I do wonder though if the bankers and wall street backers sheild is crumbling or if they have made a sacrifice for some other reason.

Plus his papers cant hack and have to be careful about their every step meaning they are effectively sterilised they way they should have been a long time ago, now that should allow the public a chance to engage in a democracy properly and hopefully dawn in a new age of real nation newspapers, there may be less of an issue with local papers using illegal tactics but you cant have nationals unless it is of course in the public interest, personally I think MP's should be film their whole 24/7 MP life by a papparazzi even while taking a shit,I want a man in there filming him.

Having said that theres plenty of criminals who have been let off lightly or not charged at all Blair is the obvious one and also that odious banker fella I cant recall the name of who got a big payoff for something he should have been serving hard time for, and I mean hard time, scrubbing floors and him and Blair of course being banged senseless every night by big hairy horrible cunts.

Edited by dennis tooth

Murdoch's a crafty cunt though. If he'd binned Wade last week, or even now, people would just smell weakness and go after him and his son. The longer he keeps Wade in post and fights for her, the more of an achievement it'll seem to everyone when he does deliver her head. The more of an 'event' that seems when it comes, the more it will draw a line under the whole affair.

Just watched the shambolic fucktard McMullan on BBC Sunday Morning Live he was on with Peter Hitchens and Derek Hatton. Car crash telly as McMullan admitted to more phone hacking ("That story came from hacking as well! Oh, maybe I shouldn't be saying that on air..."), explained how the NotW paid people more money the more they embellished their stories and then admitted to being on the run from the police which is why he's had the same clothes on for five days. Says the police "asked" him to report to a police station to be arrested but he's not going to because he was only writing the truth ... "and what better way to get to the truth than listen to someone's phone messages".

I can hardly believe he's real.

He comes across exactly like I've pictured one of these cunts. As the lowest of the low. Like a caricature of what a cunt "journalist" should be like.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Ed M drops bomb: ‘call off BSkyB bid’

Ed Miliband today made four demands in a press conference, sharpening his attacks on News International and David Cameron.

Highlights

- Asked Cameron to come clean about whether No. 10 had any “relevant documents” regarding the scandal,

- Called for a judge-led inquiry to be established quickly so that important documents could not be shredded by guilty parties.

- Said press self-regulation had to improve and laid out some important pre-requisites, including prominence of apologies, before such a system would be seen as credible.

But it was in the questions after the press conference he dropped the big bomb:

- He said Rupert Murdoch should call off the BSkyB bid in its entirety, going further than he has before.

- He also called for Rupert Murdoch to apologise to the victims of phone-hacking.

His short speech today said:

Six days since the revelations about the hacking of Milly Dowler’s phone, we have seen dramatic events like the closure of the News of the World and further arrests.

Above all, we know the people in our country want to see real change to ensure these abuses by parts of the press never happen again.

The task of political leaders now is to have a clear focus on what matters, and the decisions required to usher in the change we need.

So what do we need to do?

First, on the judge-led inquiry. We need to make sure that it is set up immediately. Any less means there is a risk that evidence will be destroyed.

As soon as an inquiry is established, tampering or destruction of any documents becomes a criminal offence.

And that includes any relevant documents in No10 Downing Street and Conservative HQ.

The inquiry should be set up under the Inquiries Act so it can compel witnesses to attend.

And the inquiry must have the right terms of reference covering all the key issues including the culture and practices of the newspaper industry and the relationship between the police and certain newspapers.

Neither of these appears to be in the Prime Minister’s current terms of reference. And I’m determined to put that right.

If the investigation does not get to these issues, like the alleged paying of police officers for information or the culture of the industry, we cannot be sure we get the change we need.

Put simply, the Government is dragging its feet and is still showing it does not understand the gravity of this scandal and the scale of public concern.

David Cameron needs to get a move on.

Second, on BSkyB. Last Wednesday the Prime Minister at Prime Minister’s Questions told me a referral to the Competition Commission was not the right way forward.

On Friday, he continued to express belief in that process.

Yesterday I made clear that we would force a vote in the House of Commons this Wednesday because I did not believe that the Culture Secretary could proceed with the current process which relies on assurances from News Corporation.

I do not believe he should be relying on assurances from News Corporation given recent developments.

The head of the PCC says she was lied to by News International.

James Murdoch has admitted serious wrongdoing at News International.

And there are now allegations that News International knew that phone hacking was widespread as long ago as 2007.

The Government, having repeatedly said there was no alternative to their flawed process, now appears to be moving towards my position.

They are doing it not because they want to, but because they have been forced to.

Let me be clear: this chaos and confusion in government is all of their own making.

They should never have embarked on this sort of process.

It is important to remember the original recommendation from Ofcom was for a referral to the Competition Commission. We supported that

But Mr Hunt ignored that advice.

Whatever the twists and turns of the government, I will accept nothing less than some straight talking that this bid will not proceed until after the criminal investigation is complete.

Third, I do believe that we can move forward with reform of the system of self-regulation.

It is important at a time like this that we do not rush to statutory regulation of the press.

That is why I said on Friday that my instincts remain to continue with self-regulation.

But it must be on a different basis from the past in three particular respects:

Greater independence of the Board from current editors.

Clear investigatory powers to ensure effective scrutiny.

And the ability to enforce corrections of suitable prominence.

It is in the interests of the vast majority of decent people in the newspaper industry that editors and proprietors take the initiative to lead this response.

Fourth, it is imperative that David Cameron now comes clean on the increasing number of questions surrounding his appointment of Andy Coulson.

On Friday at his press conference, David Cameron said and I quote “no one gave me any specific information” which might have dissuaded him from appointing Andy Coulson.

Yet the Guardian newspaper says it had discussions with Steve Hilton, his senior aide, detailing the facts about Andy Coulson’s decision to rehire Jonathan Rees, a convicted criminal.

According to The Guardian, these included the fact that Rees had been jailed for seven years for a criminal conspiracy, after which he had been rehired by Coulson’s News of the World.

And the fact that Rees’s illegal activities on behalf of the News of the World included making payments to police.

This information was passed by Steve Hilton to the Prime Minister’s chief of staff Ed Llewellyn.

You cannot get more specific information than this.

The Prime Minister must now explain.

Did Ed Llewellyn tell him about this evidence and did he ignore it?

Or did Mr Llewellyn fail to tell him about this?

Either people have been misled about what Mr Cameron knew or Mr Llewellyn has completely failed in his duties.

Mr Cameron must now answer these and other questions including the warnings he apparently received from Paddy Ashdown and Nick Clegg.

Unless he can explain what happened with Mr Coulson and apologise for his terrible error in appointing him, his reputation and that of his government will be permanently tarnished.

I say this finally: The Prime Minister made an important statement at a press conference on Friday.

It is duty to also come to the House of Commons and explain himself.

People expect him to start showing the leadership on this issue that has been so completely lacking so far.

Ed M drops bomb: ‘call off BSkyB bid’ | Liberal Conspiracy

He comes across exactly like I've pictured one of these cunts. As the lowest of the low. Like a caricature of what a cunt "journalist" should be like.

That's probably his goal. The couple of things I've seen with him make it pretty obvious he's decided that playing the foil, the pantomime villain, will be lucrative.

Morally indignant vs. morally reprehensible, screaming and shouting at each other, is a mainstay of news "reporting" in the US and it seems like it's made its way over there. And he's making sure he's gonna get his piece of the pie. Shame really.