You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murdoch's Scum Credentials All In Order I See

Anubis

Guest Jon Snow
Just watched the brooks interview what a complete waste of time - is Cameron back in the Uk yet he is up to his neck in it still

I be surprised if any thing happens to him.No doubt he'll just worm his way out of it.

Just watched the brooks interview what a complete waste of time - is Cameron back in the Uk yet he is up to his neck in it still

I think you're overestimating what a select committee is intended to do. It's rarely a forensic examination. We learnt quite a few things though.

They have been paying Glen's legal fees and did they squirm having this dragged out of them. This is critical because it's clearly intended to keep him quiet and it ties them to him. They've continued to pay the legal fees of the man who hacked Milly Dowlers phone.

Brookes put the boot into Coulson, Cameron and Osbourne. Tonights news regarding Coulson really drags Cameron and co into it.

All concerned either suffer from amnesia or have absolutely no control over the organisation.

Add to this all three kept referring to senior executives who knew what was going on? Which executives?

Ken Macdonald saying evidence of criminalty was "blindingly obvious" in the Harbottle & Lewis file is the most crucial bit. We don't know who knew what and when, those emails will most likely nail the lot of them.

''God will you all knob off! I do not look like RB!!!!! You mother fuckers!!!''

Twitter

I just realised Carol Decker is one crush I never actually grew out of. The fact that she's cursing people out on twitter and having the craic with Charlie Brooker just endears her to me further.

Found the probing of compensation payments to Gordon Taylor and Max Clifford to be laughable. Rupert claiming he wasn't informed and James not knowing who signed it off.

If this is a true insight into NI then employees could have defrauded them weekly without anybody twigging.

I think the MPs on these panels just like to shout and bully as a rule. When I watched a few of them have a go at those coppers last week it was obvious they were grandstanding and quite liked to play the loud-mouthed smartarse. Problem is, Wade was articulate and mentally agile enough to deal with it and she left them looking pretty flat footed a few times. They looked a bit like shit poker players with no cards.

David summoned to face the 1922 Committee tomorrow morning. The natives are revolting.

Ooooh now that's interesting, I think it's unlikely that they want to wish him jolly holidays for the summer, I can only hope he's going to get the old "we feel that your continued leadership is damaging the party" speech and be encouraged to stand down before he takes anyone else down with him. Even the best interpretation would be that they want to establish just what else is likely to come out about this story before making a decision.

I've certainly noticed that senior figures in the party haven't been as publicly supportive of him as you'd expect for a leader in this situation, presumably because they're concerned about shit sticking to them by association. For his right-hand man, Osbourne has been particularly quiet. Also, the impending summer recess would give them a chance to orchestrate an orderly transition of power.

It would be win/win for the Tories really. On the one hand, Cameron going now would be akin to what Murdoch did with closing the NOTW, looking to impose a more extreme sanction on themselves than anyone really expected in order to cut away the ground under their opponents. On the other hand he's a pretty ineffective leader anyway and has already made himself look like a smug, arse-faced buffoon on several occasions since last May so what are they really losing? Stick May or Hague in the big chair and they'll probably come out of it as a stronger party overall, although another unelected prime minister would probably do them some short and mid-term damage as a government.

If Nick Clegg could only find his bollocks, he could probably force a general election if it happened. Not that I think he will though because it's still way too soon for the LibDems to be rehabilitated in many people's eyes, it would be political suicide.

I'm still praying that Osbourne gets dragged into this somehow, I actually want to see that twisted bastard get his even more than Cameron.

On the other hand he's a pretty ineffective leader anyway and has already made himself look like a smug, arse-faced buffoon on several occasions since last May so what are they really losing?

There is also apparently a feeling amongst back-benchers that he's a maverick and is not interested in their opinions. Knives are definitely out.

There is also apparently a feeling amongst back-benchers that he's a maverick and is not interested in their opinions. Knives are definitely out.

Somehow I dont think he is going to get his 'BIG SOCIETY' dream. Cameron is a total pillock though, even if someone one told him he would press on regardless full steam ahead with his illl informed agenda driven PR riddled policies with the hope the NI is going to support putting his policies to the public to rip them off and make them think it's in their interest.

Bottom line is they all bought into his PR charm and he didn't deliver an outright Tory win at the last election despite coming up against a government crawling out of the worst recession for 70 years. Knives have been out for Dave since then.

Bottom line is they all bought into his PR charm and he didn't deliver an outright Tory win at the last election despite coming up against a government crawling out of the worst recession for 70 years. Knives have been out for Dave since then.

Also true, but compounded by the several debacles he has presided over and a feeling he thinks he doesn't need to listen to his party.

What power do they have?

The 1922 Committee has an 18-member executive committee, the chairman of which must oversee any election of a new party leader, or any vote of confidence in respect of the current one; such a vote can be triggered by 15 percent of Conservative MPs writing a letter to the chairman asking for such a vote. This process was invoked most recently on 28 October 2003, when 25 MPs requested a vote of confidence in party leader Iain Duncan Smith by writing to the chairman, Sir Michael Spicer. Duncan Smith lost the vote the next day.

The older members of 1922 still want to give Cameron a good kicking for the changes he forced on them where government members can now attend their meetings. And the right wing of the party are still furious about him failing to translate the biggest lead in the polls into an outright majority.

Tomorrow won't be fun for him & I'd imagine the party whips are spending tonight reminding the new & impressionable MPs that they love their leader

The older members of 1922 still want to give Cameron a good kicking for the changes he forced on them where government members can now attend their meetings. And the right wing of the party are still furious about him failing to translate the biggest lead in the polls into an outright majority.

Tomorrow won't be fun for him & I'd imagine the party whips are spending tonight reminding the new & impressionable MPs that they love their leader

Yep that's it. This won't be a case of trying to get rid of Dave, they're not going to give up power after so many years in the wilderness. It does however give the right-wing grandees some leverage over Cameron which they'll undoubtedly excert. Wouldn't surprise me to see a shift to the right in Tory policy over the coming months (if that's possible).

Yep that's it. This won't be a case of trying to get rid of Dave, they're not going to give up power after so many years in the wilderness.

Unless they think without him they may be more likely to cling on. It's not exactly going well for them with him in charge!

Unless they think without him they may be more likely to cling on. It's not exactly going well for them with him in charge!

That's the nuke option, cut and run probably with someone like David Davis. Highly unlikely though, they'd effectively have to go straight into a general election with the economy tanking and the NI issue rumbling on in the background. Surely Ed couldn't screw it up?