You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest British film ever made?

The Long Good Friday is the best British crime film,The Life of Brian is the best comedy and there are various pearls of films which are not as well known but are excellent too. Various versions of Sherlock Holmes films are also best when it comes to recreating the great fictional detective. Get Carter,as mentioned by Stig in the OP is superb too.

2 I dont think have been mentioned yet...

The Ipcress file

Hell drivers

Excellent film and I think the first half of the film is far closer to the truth of what spying was like in the 1960's, crumbling buildings in central London with a decided old boys club flavour to it.

• 7 months later...

Currently looking for British/UK classics to watch. Feel free to add any essential viewings you could think of.

There's been some good old English films on Talking Pictures CH 81 Freeview, one yesterday Jigsaw was good I thought.

One of the best British horrors is on Talking Pictures Aug 17th.

night-of-the-demon-1957-poster-BKDW2T.jp

• Upvote 3

Actually saw that one quite recently. Very much a fan of Tourneur.

I saw a documentary about the film (originally called Curse of the Demon) in which Tourner never wanted the monster to be shown but the studio overruled him and insisted it was.

To be fair when you see it you can understand why he was against it. 

I saw a documentary about the film (originally called Curse of the Demon) in which Tourner never wanted the monster to be shown but the studio overruled him and insisted it was.

To be fair when you see it you can understand why he was against it.

Yeah the monster thing at the end is a bit comical but there are some genuine eerie moments in it.
  • Upvote 1

From the 2001 wiki page: 2001: A Space Odyssey was financed and distributed by American studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer,[8][9] but was filmed and edited almost entirely in England, where Kubrick lived, using the facilities of MGM-British Studios and Shepperton Studios. Production was subcontracted to Kubrick's production company, and care was taken that the film would be sufficiently "British" to qualify for the Eady Levy, a tax on box-office receipts in the UK.

Yeah the monster thing at the end is a bit comical but there are some genuine eerie moments in it.

Agree it's a brilliant genuine creepy movie and the director was right it didn't need the monster to been seen.

The Medusa Touch which I think has been on the Horror channel recently is another great British horror.

• Upvote 1