You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

14 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Depends what you fancy catching, 

If it's carp, then fuck me you're about to be sucked into a vacuum of spending you never deemed possible. The amount of gear, bait, tackle bits, clothing you'll end up buying is outrageous. 

A cheap alternative is predator fishing, so pike, zander, perch. Same waters, but much less tackle. Just a small spinning rod, standard reel, a few lures, net and cast away. 

In fairness, matt Hayes has loads of videos online, the guy is a seriously excellent angler and really good at explaining things to the numpties. Give that a watch and make your decision. 

Just wanna sit somewhere nice chatting shit with a mate and catch a few fish. 

Just now, Paulie Dangerously said:

Just wanna sit somewhere nice chatting shit with a mate and catch a few fish. 

You also want to catch something slightly bigger than a goldfish to. Spinning, or lure fishing is rather active, more walking about then sitting down. Carp fishing is a sit around game. Kind of like laying traps as opposed to fishing if that makes sense. 

Find a good local tackle shop, have a chat to the guys working there, obviously if you think they're knobs, then try another shop, all those lads are keen anglers and they'd supply a wealth of knowledge on both gear and locations of where to fish. 

Once you decide on your target species, then watch a few videos, learn how to tie a "grinner knot" and the rest is just sitting around waiting for a bite. 

• Upvote 1

Used to do a lot of fishing, the whole family used to go. Me arl fella, me ma, sister and me. We did the lot, freshwater and sea fishing. In winter it was friggin' cold when we went fishing for cod at night with just a tilley lamp for light and warmth.

Parents were skint when I was a lad so the fresh fish helped out a lot and you cannot beat fresh cod. Better than the shite you get in a shop as it hasnt been frozen for a week to 10 days and gone all mushy!

Me arl fella even went sea trout fishing on the River Lune on an all nighter once. I think he said he used maggots on his hook which was apparently not legal or something. Said he went through a packet of fags so he could burn through his line if a baliff came along! When I got up the next day, there was about 9 decent sized sea trout waiting to be gutted. Think we had sea trout every meal that week!

Before we were married the old girl had been badgering me to take her fishing. In the end I took her to one of the club's pits. It was a nice day but she kept talking! Had to tell her to be quiet as she'd scare the fish off and spoil my concentration. She got a right monk on but she never badgered me to takeher fishing again!

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Bump. Further to my previous posts, I really fancy getting into a bit of fishing next year.  Nothing mad, just a bit of river or lake fishing. Yes, I have been watching Mortimer and Whitehouse. 

I see a lot of basic beginners packages such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginners-Starter-Coarse-Float-Fishing/dp/B00SBO1DS0

Is it worth getting all the gear or would people say just get a decent rod, reel, floats etc and take it from there? 

Edit. Asked all this already. 

14 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Bump. Further to my previous posts, I really fancy getting into a bit of fishing next year.  Nothing mad, just a bit of river or lake fishing. Yes, I have been watching Mortimer and Whitehouse. 

I see a lot of basic beginners packages such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginners-Starter-Coarse-Float-Fishing/dp/B00SBO1DS0

Is it worth getting all the gear or would people say just get a decent rod, reel, floats etc and take it from there? 

Edit. Asked all this already. 

Havent been fishing for years, we used to do both freshwater and sea fishing. Was saying to the old girl there's nothing as tasty as fresh caught cod and whiting or whatever your preference is.

Rather than contribute to the Bezos empire, Id suggest a trip to a local fishing shop if you can. Alternatively, a local fishing club and ask if any members have decent rods and reels for sale, pointing out you dont want 'old' crap.

Some farmers used to get shirty about you fishing in their ponds and I think many now either dont want anglers or allow sole access to a club's members. Canal fishing can be quite productive although once the boats start moving around 9am can be a bit tedious.

Generally freshwater fish are shit to eat unless you keep them in clean water for 2 or 3 weeks else they taste a bit muddy!

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

From near the Tickled Trout?

Bet that put up a decent fight and you cant beat a bit of fresh trout!

A really strong fish, fought for about 10 minutes - someone introduced crayfish into a particular section of the river so the fish have grown big and fat feasting on these. I live right beside Lough Corrib in the west of Ireland which is one of the best around for trout fishing but I always prefer the river.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, NoelM said:

A really strong fish, fought for about 10 minutes - someone introduced crayfish into a particular section of the river so the fish have grown big and fat feasting on these. I live right beside Lough Corrib in the west of Ireland which is one of the best around for trout fishing but I always prefer the river.

Cool, there's something good about feeling a strong fish fighting the line! Never mastered fly fishing myself. We used to fish for trout in Lake Windermere and managed to bag a few, not as big as that of yours though.

Sorry, I misread your first post as being on the River Ribble. There's a pub next to the river called the Tickled Trout and thought you were fishing that river.

• Upvote 1