You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen to United

justino

I am merely suggesting that, purely as a personality, Collymore engendered more acceptance amongst Liverpool fans than did Owen. Collymore eventually was a fuck up, but he enjoyed a great deal of adulation from us and was genuinely popular with the fans before the 'black dogs' started barking. Mad Erik was hugely popular with fans but was nothing as an actual player. Some people can connect with fans quite naturally, Owen never seemed to try.

He had a good go at it in cardiff in May 2001.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a hard one for me. One of my first Liverpool jerseys was the Reebok one in 98/99 with Owen 10 on the back. I never forgot Cardiff and the goals he scored but I will never defend him after this.

Also I seem to remember some people giving out to Tevez for not coming here and fucking off to City 'out of respect to us' surely you would be complaining if Owen did the same thing?

I understand his decision. If you have just been released by Newcastle and United come calling it is pretty hard to resisit no matter who you 'used' to be connected to. I wont wish the lad luck and I hope it comes back to haunt him and Demento big time. I can also see the booing the being a tad higher when he comes back here next.

This is a hard one for me. One of my first Liverpool jerseys was the Reebok one in 98/99 with Owen 10 on the back. I never forgot Cardiff and the goals he scored but I will never defend him after this.

Also I seem to remember some people giving out to Tevez for not coming here and fucking off to City 'out of respect to us' surely you would be complaining if Owen did the same thing?

I understand his decision. If you have just been released by Newcastle and United come calling it is pretty hard to resisit no matter who you 'used' to be connected to. I wont wish the lad luck and I hope it comes back to haunt him and Demento big time. I can also see the booing the being a tad higher when he comes back here next.

He wasn't released, his contract expired.

It will probably be a pay-per-play basis anyway and i hope he does shit.

This apparent move is the last piece in the demise jigsaw that is Owens career.

He takes this move to add domestic success and European glory to his diminishing career options, secure in the knowledge its the last chance saloon.

How sweet will that make our 19th title and knocking them out of the champions league be. Sorry Micheal selling your soul to the devil doesn't make it alright, may you never sleep well again.

He had a good go at it in cardiff in May 2001.

Quite right. As I said, that was great moment. Yet, despite his brilliance as a goalscorer, you have to admit that, for whatever reason, Owen never drew the love of the fans. That didn't bother him and it still won't bother him. It was unusual, though, that somebody who did what he did for us got the fans' applause but never got their love.

Fuck him, anyway.

Owen was a mostly splendid player for us and gave us great memories. He was not loved enough nor with us long enough to be considered a legend like Rush, Barnes, Souness, Kenny et al.

I have watched his "career death plunge" since he left us with a mixture of bemusement and sadness.

But seeing him last season was pitiful. He was supposed to be fully fit. He is finished as a top drawer player

Canny move by Slur. If anyone needs to know why he's been the top manager in British football for the past decade and a half, it's stunts like this.

At worst, he loses nothing. At best, he revitalises a 29 year old former European Footballer of the Year with more than 200 career goals, and strikes a massive psychological blow against his most bitter rivals.

(For the record: Owen has 19 league goals in 56 appearances for a shit side over the last two injury-plagued seasons, which would suggest that rumours of his demise are a little premature.)

At worst, he loses nothing. At best, he revitalises a 29 year old former European Footballer of the Year with more than 200 career goals, and strikes a massive psychological blow against his most bitter rivals.

In what way? I think Rafa has made it abundantly clear he doesn't rate him and has never particularly wanted him back.

In what way? I think Rafa has made it abundantly clear he doesn't rate him and has never particualrly wanted him back.

Look back the thread Barry. I know the manager isnt arsed in anyway but I cant think most people will be too pleased in around 5 hours. Its just warming up on here.

I think he's an example of an extremely ruthless character.

Yep.

To be honest aswell with the right service he can be good at them. At Newcastle they were too dependant on him. No pressure on Owen at the mancs.

No pressure? I can only think of Everton where the pressure would be worse on him.

Their fans will turn on him first chance they get.

Wonder how Stevie feels about all this. When Gerrard was thinking of leaving he absolutely balked at the idea of joining the Mancs. On his wall of signed jerseys in his trophy room he refuses to have one and so get an England one of Wayne Rooney. What will he thnk of little Mickey signing for them?

Look back the thread Barry. I know the manager isnt arsed in anyway but I cant think most people will be too pleased in around 5 hours. Its just warming up on here.

So what? How does that strike a "massive psychological blow"? Its a load of benders getting wound up on the internet.

For it to have any great "psychological" impact, it would need to affect the manager and the team. It won't, because he just isn't that important anymore.

So what? How does that strike a "massive psychological blow"? Its a load of benders getting wound up on the internet.

For it to have any great "psychological" impact, it would need to affect the manager and the team. It won't, because he just isn't that important anymore.

I was referring to the booing when the mancs come here.

In what way? I think Rafa has made it abundantly clear he doesn't rate him and has never particularly wanted him back.

If Owen is a success, do you not think that the sight of him banging in goals for United will affect us in any way?

If we had gone in for him, and it were a straight fight between us and the cunts then im absolutely certain Owen would have chosen us - however, Rafa has made it abundantly clear he has never been 100% convinced by Owen and there are better options out there - despite the pleas from Carra and Gerrard.

To say them signing him would be a "massive psychological blow" to us - would suggest they beat us to his signature, which is hugely inacurate.

The only concern now is what has Rafa got up his sleeve? Torres and N'Gog are our only recognised strikers, and for him to not even show a slightest interest in Owen - means he must have targets in mind that are better than MO.

Over to you Rafa...

Yup. There is a Michael Jackson-esque feel to his career. From an incredible start (17 years old in his first season, Argie goal) to reaching the top early (2001 Ballon d'Or) to a dream turned sour (Real Madrid) and then a spectacular deroute (Newcastle) and a the bitter end (Mancs).

Exchange the events with Jackson Five, Thriller, Dangerous, the 1990's, alleged child abuse and freakish end, and the comparison is complete.

They're both white as well.

There is absolutely nothing in common between Michael Owen and Michael Jackson, apart from the first name and the skin colour.

I've repped you for effort though, and the funny "white" bit.

Wonder how Stevie feels about all this. When Gerrard was thinking of leaving he absolutely balked at the idea of joining the Mancs. On his wall of signed jerseys in his trophy room he refuses to have one and so get an England one of Wayne Rooney. What will he thnk of little Mickey signing for them?

he's mates with Rooney, the ultimate twat, so I can't see how he's going to be arsed about Owen going there as well.

The fans booing isn't really a massive psychological blow to the club is it really.

what made the fans lose their respect for him was the fact that he said he was signing a new contract, before buggering off 3 days later to Madrid for very little money compared to his stock and hampering our new manager straight away.

If he had been honest and said he was looking for a new challenge etc then there would be a lot more respect for him.

The move to Utd will just eradicate the few remaining threads of sympathy amongst our fans for a player, who since he left us, has been on a slump. Yes he is worth a punt on a free but he isn't a season maker or breaker.