You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen to United

justino

Who here would honestly not laugh if here were to contract the funniest and most sadistic of all illnesses, AIDS????

I hate the little midget but don't wish injury or any other illness on him... apart from AIDS.

Good AIDS or bad AIDS?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Francie Brady

I burnt everything to do with Judas yesterday , I spent a night drinking spirts and yet the pain wont go away. I had a drink today to and im going to have one tomorrow.

I always supported him and would have liked to see him back.

Unfortunately, i was very wrong about him. He's a bad little tit.

The only thing that's funny is that the scum have lost Tevez and gaylord and are replacing him with a crock. Ha ha

Similar feeling to when i found out there was no father christmas.

Your idol is taken away from you in one fould swooop and you wish it wouldnt have happened but it has.

Awlways knew he valued england more than anything and always knew he was selfish but when it manifests itself it such an uncomfortable, painful and hurtful event like this its hard to follow. I can only look upon once revered posters and think why michel, why

The advantage of being somewhat older is that I never idolized him. In fact, I never took to him at all. But I can appreciate younger fans feeling pretty bad about this. Frankly, I think it will only sink in with some people here when we see him play for them...

So consistent he was dropped for the League cup final

Yeah considering he had scored 2 in Rome only the week before which kickstarted his run of goals to the European Footballer of the Year award. 2001 was easily his best year here for performances and goals.

Bit of a cop out to start diminishing his achievements here because he has signed for our biggest rivals.

People going on about Fowler how great he was etc yes he certainly was but please remind me how many times he won European Footballer of the Year again? Just trying to redress the balance a bit thats all. Just so sad to see one of our best ever goalscorers achievements belittled now.

Michael Owen, a boyhood Everton fan, showed exactly how seriously he took club loyalty when he signed for their most hated rivals at the age of 16.

I guess it's tough to find out that players don't rate allegiances as highly as the fans do, but nobody can really feel betrayed by this in the circumstances.

I agree with SD. He was always a hired hand. As such he did a fantastic job for us - just look at his goalscoring record for us. He left, he might have come back, but we didn't try hard to get him. We then showed no appetite for him this time, he was getting offers from Hull and Stoke. Ferguson called him up and he went there. He's a professional footballer. I can appreciate what he did for us while he was here. He never got any real love from the fans here, why should he give a fuck? He did great for us, he's gone.

Most people on here say he's crap, so if they're right that means he will bring the overall standard at Old Trafford down. That's a good thing, surely? As long as he doesn't score against us, I can't get excited by it.

I agree with SD. He was always a hired hand. As such he did a fantastic job for us - just look at his goalscoring record for us. He left, he might have come back, but we didn't try hard to get him. We then showed no appetite for him this time, he was getting offers from Hull and Stoke. Ferguson called him up and he went there. He's a professional footballer. I can appreciate what he did for us while he was here. He never got any real love from the fans here, why should he give a fuck? He did great for us, he's gone.

Most people on here say he's crap, so if they're right that means he will bring the overall standard at Old Trafford down. That's a good thing, surely? As long as he doesn't score against us, I can't get excited by it.

Fucking A.

From now on in he should just be refered to as Michael Cunt, Cunt Owen, St Cunt, the Cunt or even just Cunt on its own will do.

I see SCM are already following that policy automatically changing the spelling of his name. I also like the suggestion on YNWA that he be called "Minnie Mi" and the crowd at Anfield yell "Mi" in a high-pitched voice when he touches the ball (if he has the guts to show up). May as well have a laugh at his expense.

People going on about Fowler how great he was etc yes he certainly was but please remind me how many times he won European Footballer of the Year again? Just trying to redress the balance a bit thats all. Just so sad to see one of our best ever goalscorers achievements belittled now.

How many Ballon d'or's did Kenny win or Ian Rush. Is Keegan as good or better than Kenny because he won two?

Silly argument.

How many Ballon d'or's did Kenny win or Ian Rush. Is Keegan as good or better than Kenny because he won two?

Silly argument.

No more as silly as people diminishing Michaels achievements here because he has signed for them like 99% have done on this thread alone. All I was doing was trying to redress the balance somewhat.

I recieved a text from a friend today saying he had a couple of decent seasons!!!! It is that type of revisionism which is sad to see from some of our fans. The lad carried us at times in some of the worst footballing sides under Houllier I have ever seen.

MICHAEL OWEN would have taken a £100,000-a-week pay CUT to rejoin Liverpool. Even while Owen was in negotiations with Manchester United, efforts were made on his behalf to force an Anfield intervention. | Sport | News Of The World

By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 04/07/2009

MICHAEL OWEN would have taken a £100,000-a-week pay CUT to rejoin Liverpool.

Even while Owen was in negotiations with Manchester United, efforts were made on his behalf to force an Anfield intervention.

The England striker was so desperate to return to the club where he emerged as a world-class goalscorer that he would have accepted a basic salary of just £25,000-a-week plus goal and appearance bonuses.

But Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez's doubts over Owen's form, fitness and desire to put his club before his England ambitions ensured he rejected repeated attempts to persuade him to re-sign the player he sold five years ago.

Benitez also recalled how Owen upset the Anfield faithful twice when he left in 2004 and then failed to return in 2005. The Kop boss had no intention of risking being jilted a third time by trying to hijack the United swoop.

Owen had earlier delayed a decision on his future in the forlorn hope his old club would make a move. As the doctors awaited Owen's arrival at Carrington, phone calls were being made in a bid to ignite Liverpool's interest.

Co-owner George Gillett was particularly keen to sign the 29-year-old, having first met Owen in the Colorado clinic where he underwent knee surgery after the 2006 World Cup.

But by Thursday, Sir Alex Ferguson's powers of persuasion had killed Owen's lingering Kop loyalties. Ferguson convinced him to turn his back on both the Merseyside clubs, after Everton had put together a £2.4million-a-year package.

Owen met Goodison boss David Moyes in Miami and was impressed with the Scot's plans for next season. Moyes was prepared to restructure his side to accommodate Owen and was in prime position to sign him.

Chairman Bill Kenwright was also keen on a deal, feeling it would lay down a marker of his club's ambitions.

But Owen was wary of crossing the Stanley Park divide, unwavering in his belief that he belongs on a Champions League stage and can force his way back into Fabio Capello's World Cup plans.

Ferguson moved swiftly with a call to Owen on Wednesday morning and, by Thursday night, a £50,000-a-week contract. Owen could double that figure, though, with goals and appearances to take him close to the £125,000 he was earning at Newcastle.

Ferguson's United will relish the fact Liverpool fans will be cursing more than ever if Owen denies them future titles, because the Kop refused first option of taking the striker back.

Yet it will take only a tweak of Owen's hamstring - or the unveiling of an alternative top-class back-up for Fernando Torres - to justify Benitez's stance. Owen's recent injury record meant Rafa was cautious about taking a sentimental journey.

He is also concerned about what level of transfer resources he has at his disposal, even for bargain deals. That is unlike Fergie, who knows he can afford to make a mistake.

The Spanish boss will be relieved that a saga which began weeks after his arrival from Valencia has come to an emphatic end.

Repeated efforts by Owen's admirers to secure his return to Liverpool were visibly irritating Benitez, always unconvinced of the merits. He insisted he wanted to look to the future, not Liverpool's past.

He was upset at the timing of the striker's departure for Real Madrid in 2004, a month after Rafa became Liverpool boss, but felt more annoyed when Owen did not hold out for an Anfield move a year down the line - despite face-to-face talks and a pledge to take him six months later.

At that time, Benitez felt Owen had shown he was more concerned about being prepared for the 2006 World Cup than playing for Liverpool.

Since then, Benitez has regularly made public his resistance to signing him.

The United transfer effectively ends four years of Owen regularly pleading to return to Anfield. There were approaches by his representatives to secure a Liverpool move every season he spent on Tyneside.

Now Owen has crossed a line no Liverpool fan will accept. The former Kop idol can expect a torrid reception after becoming the first player to join both clubs since Paul Ince.

Ironically, the summer began with Liverpool pursuing a United favourite, Carlos Tevez.

If Liverpool's forlorn pursuit of the South American temporarily crept under the skin of the Stretford End, it pales into insignificance to the back spasms felt on The Kop at the sight of Owen now at Old Trafford.

The failure even to acknowledge his Anfield past when unveiled on Friday, or appreciate the despair felt on Merseyside at the sight of him in a United shirt, hurt Liverpool fans even more.

Ferguson has never made football decisions for anything other than football reasons. But he will be cunningly aware of the wider repercussions.

There is an unavoidable sense the North West superpowers are making transfer decisions they hope will come back to haunt each other.

And while many claim Fergie has taken a gamble on Owen, it may also be argued Rafa has taken a punt in ignoring him.

Owen has always been it it only for himself. He’s a Welshman who is lucky enough (in his view) to be born in a maternity unit about three inches over the border in England, and could therefore turn his back on his own country and play for a neighbouring country which has far better chances of playing in international tournaments. He walked out on a club on the eve of their European campaign, just before the league campaign started, and giving them no time to find a replacement three weeks before the transfer window closed. Nobody can expect any loyalty from him. He’ll do what he thinks suits him.

This may be an excellent move for him, given the alternatives we have heard of. But... he's no Carragher, or even Gerrard (dspite the Chavski flirtation) - certainly not a Fowler. He seems to lack any passion - he'll do what he can for his club or 'his' country, but he'd never, ever play his heart out for a team - or for a dream. He's too cold, and maybe that's why he never had the support here some think he deserved. Remember Paul Jones, the Southampton keeper, who turned down a full-time contract somewhere to play for us for two games in 2004? He was a Red, that's why he did it. Owen probably told him he was mad.

And if Owen signed for City, not United, would he get booked for holding up 4 fingers to the United crowd in the Manc derby while warming up? And a year later, when scoring for City against United, run to the United fans and hold up 5 fingers? Thought not.

Sums the move up for me, repped

Great. A thread about Owen gets turned in to another Bascombe slag off session. I bet Chris B is astounded at the gospel way some people over analyse every single thing he writes. Some people must lead boring lives on here.

He's written a shit article in a shit paper, so people are allowed to comment surely? Not suprised by it, I really wanted to come back but nasty Rafa wouldn't sign me so I had to go to the Mancs. Now thats boring.

Great. A thread about Owen gets turned in to another Bascombe slag off session. I bet Chris B is astounded at the gospel way some people over analyse every single thing he writes. Some people must lead boring lives on here.

Come on. I'm sure he writes some of this shit just to piss people off. I've lost count of how many people here said that such an article was inevitable after Owen's signing. My opinion is that he writes a load of tripe and deserves the criticism he receives for it.

That article is fair enough, but he's written several with NOTW about our manager and players recently that were at best completely unfounded rubbish.

He's written a shit article in a shit paper, so people are allowed to comment surely? Not suprised by it, I really wanted to come back but nasty Rafa wouldn't sign me so I had to go to the Mancs. Now thats boring.

It is very well slanted and balanced in how he has written it. It states more than once the reasons why Rafa wouldn't justify a move for him. Like I say, some people over analyse everything he writes.

There is nothing untoward in that article whatsoever and nothing which has made me jump out in shock and ties in to everything I have heard over the past few days from relaible sources anyway.