You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen to United

justino

Here's a thought for the baying mob; Reading the tag 'never was one of us' and having read over the last few years just how low an opinion of him a lot of fans have had for a while, why the hell should he give a shit about upsetting you all when it seems you never gave a shit about him anyway?

He didn't need any reason. He never gave a shit about the fans or about the club. Some fans were perceptive enough to see that from the very beginning. For them there is a relief in seeing him in his true colours at Man Utd.

Other fans allowed themselves to be seduced by the publicity following his goal against Argentina. That is understandable. But Moores, Parry and Houllier took it to a new level, milking his inflated reputation and swallowing his commercial self-promotion uncritically, to the point of organising the team around him to his great personal benefit and the club's strategic impoverishment.

Parry and Moore redeemed themselves somewhat by bringing in Rafa. And when Owen and his marketing team took one look at him and they knew their little game was up.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as already said Club always before Country, if Michael Owen concentrated on club matters and took international as a bonus he would be a Liverpool star right now, instad of a washed up reject who will be signing for Bolton in a years time

Loyalty gets you nowhere.

In reality Owen will probably end up with a Premiership Medal whereas good Reds like Sami will not. Gerrard and Carra could also end up in that category.

Fucking disgusting.

On the flip side though, loyalty got Sami, Gerrard and Carra a Champions League medal, while Owen walked away with stugots - and has also spent the last four years in the footballing equivalent of a Kia Ora advert. He'll never get those years back.

I doubt Owen will get a winner's medal during his spell there. Even if he was not cursed and consequently unable to win the biggest honours at any club to which he ventures, there's too much rebuilding to be done following the loss of their talisman, the player without whom they would presently be stuck on 15 titles. There is no single player in world football more crucial to the success of his team - they'll be affected more than people think, regardless of who they bring in. This isn't a Beckham or Cantona situation.

I doubt Owen will get a winner's medal during his spell there. Even if he was not cursed and consequently unable to win the biggest honours at any club to which he ventures, there's too much rebuilding to be done following the loss of their talisman, the player without whom they would presently be stuck on 15 titles. There is no single player in world football more crucial to the success of his team - they'll be affected more than people think, regardless of who they bring in. This isn't a Beckham or Cantona situation.

For some reason i think it is our time now, i can also see owen not winning the title but can say Carra and Gerrard getting their medal. Istanbul and then watching us win the title should hurt him but i am not sure how much it will.

He would take the World cup over a Premiership medal imo.

I remember asking that question to Gerrard through some website and he said it's like choosing between your children, very diplomatic!

With that talent - and forget all this one-dimensional crap, Michael Owen was fucking brilliant - you can get the money, the caps, the fame, maybe even the medals if you're in the right place at the right time.

But there are some players (Kenny the biggest example, Bobby Charlton too) who can go back to their clubs and have people fall to their knees 20 even 30 years later.

My dad was a curmudgeonly old cove, but he walked past Billy Liddell once and he practically did the Wayne's World worthy thing right there in the street. That must be a special, special feeling for any player, and this was 30-odd years after he'd retired.

Owen can't have that, ever. If he doesn't want it because you can't take it to the bank, so be it. I can't see how any Red could fail to be at least saddened by that.

On the flip side though, loyalty got Sami, Gerrard and Carra a Champions League medal, while Owen walked away with stugots - and has also spent the last four years in the footballing equivalent of a Kia Ora advert. He'll never get those years back.

I think we all know what the lads want.

A European Cup or a League Title? League Title every time.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
He didn't need any reason. He never gave a shit about the fans or about the club. Some fans were perceptive enough to see that from the very beginning. For them there is a relief in seeing him in his true colours at Man Utd.

Other fans allowed themselves to be seduced by the publicity following his goal against Argentina. That is understandable. But Moores, Parry and Houllier took it to a new level, milking his inflated reputation and swallowing his commercial self-promotion uncritically, to the point of organising the team around him to his great personal benefit and the club's strategic impoverishment.

Parry and Moore redeemed themselves somewhat by bringing in Rafa. And when Owen and his marketing team took one look at him and they knew their little game was up.

One thing that i've noticed about this thread in paticular is the reaction of those who've never really had any time for Owen.

You would think the reaction would be hysterical, whereas it is infact the posters who used to excuse him who are up in arms.

I've never really warmed to him, whilst appreciating everything he did for us, I always felt it was a by-product of doing what was good for Michael Owen and England.

He was dead to me the minute he left us in the shite over Madrid, hence the goings on of the last few days only being met with a shrug of the shoulders.

More like an early Sam Raimi film; half comedy half horror, blood flowing and bones shattering, ugly monsters shrieking at you morning noon and night, a nightmare that never ends.

For some reason i think it is our time now, i can also see owen not winning the title but can say Carra and Gerrard getting their medal. Istanbul and then watching us win the title should hurt him but i am not sure how much it will.

He would take the World cup over a Premiership medal imo.

I remember asking that question to Gerrard through some website and he said it's like choosing between your children, very diplomatic!

I definitely recall an interview with Gerrard where he said he'd take a League Title over any international honour.

Because even the ones who aren't very good at football are made wealthy beyond most people's wildest, wildest dreams.

Financial security for life isn't an issue beyond the age of 25 if they even have half a brain.

Loyalty, mutual respect and not pretending for three years in interviews that you're on the verge of signing a new contract aren't too much to expect.

Repped. That's what it all boils down to really. All most people expect in return for funding their grotesquely offensive lifestyle is just a modicum of respect and maybe even loyalty in return. There are some things you just don't do and lines you just don't cross, yesterday Owen crossed that line. It's completely beyond me that some people are actually defending him. As i said earlier i don't hate him cos i don't do hate, i don't even wish bad things on him because i don't even know him. But as an ex Liverpool player and as a footballer i view him with utter contempt.........................i didn't get where i am today without viewing him with utter contempt!

This was my question which they edited for some reason and his answer:

If you had to choose between Liverpool winning the Premiership this season and England winning the World Cup, what would you choose?

"I'd love to win them both but obviously being the captain of the team, I'd love to deliver the Premiership for the boys. It's a difficult question because it's like picking one of your kids if you've got two kids! It's a very difficult question. It's the same as being asked [to choose between winning] the Champions League again this year or the league? It's an impossible question to answer. Being as hungry as I am, I'd like to win the three of them."

Saying you wish he died or you wish a career threatening injury upon him is bang out of order.

Someone with a bit of sense at last. Where is Michael in our greatest Goalscorers list again? 5th or 6th is it? No mean feat considering our history.

Some people on here are OBSESSED with United and it is getting a little scary to be honest. I think it is all a myth that the obsession is one sided on their part to be honest as the years go by and they close in on our records.