You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen to United

justino

One of the very few, sane and sensible post on here. You are spot on. I can only put the anti hysteria over Owen on here down to the majority of posters being about 15 years old. The posted comments are that childish.

We missed the boat here for whatever reason. At the very least, Owen would have made a far better 'squad' player than what we have up front now bar Torres.

I don't think we missed any boat. Rafa didn't want him.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a reference point this is what he said yesterday:

"You think Manchester United, you think winners and trophies."

Owen admitted that he always felt that one day he might play for United, having represented them as a kid.

He said: "I came here a couple of times as a youngster. I competed in a tournament for them and met the manager.

"Over the last few years I've spoken to other players and had the idea that Sir Alex still thought I had something to offer.

"I was always clinging to the hope that he would ask me to come and play for them one day."

This is just further proof that we are going to win the league next year.

Could we just go one fucking year without all that "this is going to be our year", "this is proof that we will win the league" and all that tosh please? It's been going on for 20 years now and whenever we've done it, we've always ended up with humble pie all over our faces.

There's definitely been more than one or two posts that have hinted at this. Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.

I think they might possess genetic material from the distant relative of the human Whingeus Saddus Bastardos.

I am ambivalent about Owen going to Utd as I never liked him while he was here. (Never meet your heroes folks.) I imagine this outpouring of anger is from a lot of the supporters who'd defended him prior to this. I never booed Michael Owen when he came back, the most I did was chant what a waste of talent, but I was never going to applaud the arrogant fool either.

Whether he's successful or not he's found the club he deserves.

I am really indifferent to this. I feel like I should be sad, but I really cant be worked up over this. And the fact that Owen is barely half the player he was with us kind of cushion the blow. I never wanted us to resign him either. They have been linked with Ribery and Benzema and then sign Owen.

I know which player I preferred them to sign.

Owen = legend.

Rafa = cunt.

Get with it.

Posts like this does make Ratcatchers point for him about there being a lot of childish posts on here.

you could have put your point of view more elequently.

Personally this has fuck all to do with Rafa but an ex legend kicking his ex fans in the teeth. The only thing that upset me was the tv interview I was ok with everything else.

Posts like this does make Ratcatchers point for him about there being a lot of childish posts on here.

you could have put your point of view more elequently.

Personally this has fuck all to do with Rafa but an ex legend kicking his ex fans in the teeth. The only thing that upset me was the tv interview I was ok with everything else.

Gotta love Nick lecturing Dave on eloquence.

"I was always clinging to the hope that he would ask me to come and play for them one day."

That's the thing that still leaves me boiling. It's always been his dream - He'd have agitated behind the scenes for a move in 2001 if he thought a deal could have been hammered out with Ferguson.

How come Fergie has to look for a bargain?

Last updated at 12:01 AM on 04th July 2009

by Des Kelly

Sir Alex Ferguson's shopping trip hadn't gone well. As the doors flew open on the big Summer Sale he went down in a flurry of handbags and was trampled underfoot in the rush.

By the time the bewildered old campaigner was helped back to his feet, the shelves had been stripped bare of all the fancy designer goods he so desperately wanted to buy.

A disconsolate rummage in the returns bin did nothing to lift his spirits, but he decided he'd better bring something home anyway, picking up the equivalent of a cracked porcelain teapot with a broken lid for practically nothing.

'It was a bargain,' he proclaimed weakly, waving his carrier bag in the air, trying to ignore the alarming crunching sounds coming from inside.

'A bit of glue and it might be worth a few bob,' he insisted. 'Besides, we won't use it much. It's only for special occasions.'

And so the Michael Owen deal was done. Who would have thought Old Trafford would be the scene of the most ridiculous piece of Bargain Hunt scavenging football has seen for many a season? The only possible explanation is that David Dickinson has secretly joined the Old Trafford coaching staff.

This was the summer in which all the talk at Old Trafford was of the mega-deals that would fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo's departure.

Remember how every newspaper compiled glamorous hit-lists of stars beating a path to Old Trafford? Remember the transfer chatter about players performing at the peak of their powers like Karim Benzema, Franck Ribery and David Villa?

Well, it was hot air, the lot of it.

All United have to show for £80million worth of pre-season prattle is an overpriced winger from Wigan Athletic that they could have picked up at any time over the past year and an eternally crocked striker, who has been subject to more doctors' scrutiny than Ralph Fiennes in The English Patient.

Is that really the best they could do?

Owen doesn't have a medical these days; he has an autopsy. His pre-match warm-up routine involves some gentle stretches followed by a spell in an MRI scanning machine. Clubs automatically allocate him the shirt number 999. And if United really were hellbent on using an injured striker surely it would have been easier to just hold on to Louis Saha or Ruud van Nistelrooy?

So I'm waiting for someone to explain the masterplan. Maybe Owen Hargreaves is lonely and needs company in the physiotherapist's room? Maybe Sir Alex wants another horseracing aficionado to help him run through the Raceform?

Either way, you do not sell Ronaldo, tell Carlos Tevez he is not worth the money and then drag in a player who vies with Andriy Shevchenko as delivering the worst value for money in recent Premier League history. Not if you expect it to be viewed as a constructive step back towards regaining the European Cup.

Owen was a top-quality player, but there is a logical reason why that sentence is in the past tense and he has been overlooked by every outfit from Blackburn Rovers on up (barring Hull City, which might be regarded as something of a slight in itself).

He simply cannot sustain a run of games. He plays, he gets injured. As an ankle heals, a groin muscle rips. When he returns, a knee ligament goes. When that is repaired, a hamstring pulls. He is a mass of interconnecting torn tissue. He is never match fit and consequently never quite rediscovers his touch, while the burst of pace that marked him out as a truly special striker is gone for ever.

Yet there are still people out there who are seriously hailing this as a smart piece of business, highlighting the fact Owen is 'cheap as chips' as if the prudent use of Old Trafford's cash reserves was the main concern of supporters.

It isn't. Not when the club have just won the title, finished runnersup in the Champions League and banked 80 million quid by selling their best player.

Of course Owen's past contributions deserve recognition. In the mind's eye we still see him speeding past Argentine and German defenders and slamming the ball high into the net.

The trouble with the mind's eye is it has never been to an optician and we forget how he was fifth in the attackers' pecking order before being forced out at Real Madrid, or how he appeared so infrequently at Newcastle United he ended up costing about £700,000 a goal.

It's not as if he has ever gelled with Wayne Rooney when playing for England either. So now they can fail to form a partnership at club level too. Whoopee. Not that it will happen, because Owen will be injured.

But it wasn't always like this. In the close season four years ago I wrote a column in this very paper expressing puzzlement over Ferguson's decision not to sign Owen. Back then, United were struggling for goals and he seemed a perfect fit. As it turned out, it proved to be a lucky escape.

Nobody can now argue the 2009 Owen is somehow on a par with even the 2005 model. As so often in the unlucky lad's career, any predictions being made about his new chance and impending return to form are based on nothing more than misplaced hope and unanswered prayers.

So why did the deal happen? Ferguson has had some kind of Damascene conversion about the player. He has always admired Owen but I'm told he dismissed the prospect of signing him outright, saying: 'There's absolutely no bloody chance', just a few weeks ago.

That was before his summer deals mainly turned to dust, of course.

Obviously the change in the euro exchange rates has tipped the balance back towards Spain, making Real Madrid and Barcelona even more attractive options.

But there is also a concern this suggests Ferguson might not have the full £80m from the Ronaldo deal to draw upon, despite the claims from the Glazer family's PR machine that transfer money is not being used to service their huge debt burden.

United aren't quite at the charity shop yet, but they are diminished by this deal. Owen is hardly going to set off alarms at Barcelona and Real Madrid. All they can see is a major European rival slipping backwards.

It's hard to disagree when Ferguson loses over £100m worth of attacking excellence and responds by digging through other clubs' dustbins for scraps.

Bloody hell it must be hard work being a half decent Manc twat (if such a thing exists, I'm sure it does). That club welcomes and nurtures utter cunts, and that lot have to support them.

Not that I am calling Owen a cunt, his actions are just an unfortunate by-product of modern football and as others have alluded to, why should he show us any loyalty now after the way he has been 'welcomed' back to Anfield (rightly or wrongly) in the past? This isn't me defending him or making excuses, it's pure indifference.

So now he's going there, were the masses have got yet another moral dilemma to contend with.

Support Michael Owen? Ouch. It must stick in the throat enough supporting Rooney (probably the player there who deserves the most support), a scouser, a bin dipper - that's gotta hurt. That's not to mention the likes of the twat who's just about to leave them, their biggest star, CR7 and all that shit - can you imagine having to get behind that? And Tevez, their other hero who appears willing to join their City rivals for money. Oh, and I'm nearly forgetting their last big hero of latter years, Heinze, who was ready and willing, and fortunately for me unable, to jump ship to their main enemy.

I think I'd feel sorry for them if it wasn't for the fact I hate them so much, and if it wasn't for this feeling that perhaps they just happen to deserve it.

It's in Wales. He was born at The Countess of Chester Hospital in England, to English parents but he has lived in Wales all of his life (except his journey to Real).

Just as Giggs was born in Wales to Welsh parents and IS welsh, Owen is English. Don't put that one on us, he's yours you can keep him !

How the fuck do you work that one out??

In fact seeing some of the posts in this thread defending the little cunt,seeing the shite in numerous other threads directed at Rafa,seeing the shite about Michael Shields recently i'm not half surprised with this place.

Just come for a gander and each time i log off thinking the 'Liverpool Way'...??

I thought the whole point of "The Liverpool Way" was that we were above hating.

They're buried away several pages ago, but I agree with some of the points Ted and the Strontium Dawg have made.