You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

14 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Answers a few questions at least.

It's difficult to see how such a region - riven by endemic ethnic division - can meaningfully unite to harbour the extremist rats nest of international terrorism our journalists seem hell-bent on concluding as being the inevitable outcome of US withdrawal. I guess the hope - from a western governemental perspective - is that the various factions will be too preoccupied with tribal and ethnic squabbling to coalesce into a meaningful, unified threat to the wider world.   

As Gnasher alluded to above, maybe Trump was right not to pursue his forebears' 'Team America' approach to global politics. No paid soldier fights harder than those who do it out of belief.

You have to feel for a generation of Afghanis who were given some semblance of hope for a better future by America and its allies. Only to have that coalition bail on them.

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Seems like all the training and weapons given to the Afghan army was useless and the weapons are now going to be used against them.  Taliban now flying about in captured helicopters. 

I guess all we can do know is watch. 

The soldiers just swapped uniforms a lot of the time. 

All the warlords have militias, they either lend them to the Taliban for protection and relative security, or they fight collectively against them, which will most likely happen in the north and the Taliban will not bother with encroachment there whilst they secure the rest of the country.

The horrific scenes we will see are where warlords previously objected to the Taliban and they will find retribution, horrifyingly.

Johnson said we should be proud of what we have achieved in Afghanistan. 

He didnt actually specify what we did achieve but still.

Apparently before the invasion when America wanted bin laden, the Taliban asked for a negotiations but Bush refused.

So potentially 10 years of pointless bloodshed could have been avoided. 

China announce they want to go balls deep on Afghan infrastructure, oil, gas and minerals.

Shocked, I tell thee.

They just legitimated the Taliban and their control of the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-08-12/china-prepared-to-recognize-taliban-if-kabul-falls-sources-say-undermining-us-threats%3Fcontext%3Damp

12 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Used work with a lad who was daft as a brush. He was pissed up with another fella at a brothel in London, sat in the waiting area with a young lad who used work with us

Two big Russian fellas sat there and for no apparent reason he pipes up " didn't do too well in afghan you lads eh?"

Hahahahahahahaha we shouldn’t be allowed on this planet. Superb levels of “I’ve had too much to drink and I’m not one bit nervous something’s gotta give” 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So are China funding the taliban then or was that another lie? 

They pumped loads of money in to Afghanistan weeks before the pull out knowing this was enivitable, so draw your own conclusions. They had always had interests, like they do across the developing world, but this was unprecedented money and was glaringly obvious a way of smoothing their presence post US pullback.

Geopolitically it makes sense with their whatyacallit road policy, as well as the protections it’ll bring on the boarders they have with Afghanistan.

China don’t give a fuck about females rights to education, this is just business to them.

Its fair to say they have bought and paid for certain things with the Taliban, yes.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They pumped loads of money in to Afghanistan weeks before the pull out knowing this was enivitable, so draw your own conclusions. They had always had interests, like they do across the developing world, but this was unprecedented money and was glaringly obvious a way of smoothing their presence post US pullback.

Geopolitically it makes sense with their whatyacallit road policy, as well as the protections it’ll bring on the boarders they have with Afghanistan.

China don’t give a fuck about females rights to education, this is just business to them.

Its fair to say they have bought and paid for certain things with the Taliban, yes.

To spite the USA. Who also fund another murderous regime themselves. These pesky superpowers getting scum to do their dirty work. 

I bet the senior execs of Toyota have got mixed feelings about all of this. On the one hand, it’s a cracking advert for their pick up and you don’t see many Discoveries, range rovers or Kia’s bouncing around the dusty plains with a machine gun welded to the back becuase they wouldn’t last a week. On the other hand, their product is mainly being driven by mad mysogonists with values from the dark ages. I think Toyota should cut out the middle man and add an anti aircraft gun to the list of optional extras. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Seems like all the training and weapons given to the Afghan army was useless and the weapons are now going to be used against them.  Taliban now flying about in captured helicopters. 

I guess all we can do know is watch. 

It does make you question if all that pilot selection and expensive training is really necessary if an uneducated peasant farmer can just jump in, push a few buttons and master it within hours. That said, I bet the warning alarms are going off pretty continuously.