Section_31

The Conflict in Afghanistan

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think a large part of Trump managing to win less-than-half of the popular vote was the appeal to American exceptionalism - fuck the rest of the world, we don't need 'em. Possible withdrawal from overseas conflicts was hinted at as a small part of that attitude (although he surrounded himself with twats like John Boulton who were horny for even more overseas violence).

Trump did make a big play on the Hilary the warmonger front. The facts state he actually had a very good point.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Trump did make a big play on the Hilary the warmonger front. The facts state he actually had a very good point.

The facts state that Hillary was a warmonger; but they also state that Trump (irrespective of what he may have said on campaigns) wasn't really any less of one.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The facts state that Hillary was a warmonger; but they also state that Trump (irrespective of what he may have said on campaigns) wasn't really any less of one.

Did I say he was any less of one?  I said thats what he campaigned on. 

Trump only did what made him money right now. Complex geopolitical decisions weren't what he was all about, he had no interest in the middle East because he wasn't into oil, he'd simply consider those countries 'shit holes'. 

If you'd offered him hotel rights in wherever the fuck in exchange for dropping an atom bomb on someone though, he wouldn't have hesitated for a second.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Trump only did what made him money right now. Complex geopolitical decisions weren't what he was all about, he had no interest in the middle East because he wasn't into oil, he'd simply consider those countries 'shit holes'. 

If you'd offered him hotel rights in wherever the fuck in exchange for dropping an atom bomb on someone though, he wouldn't have hesitated for a second.

Probably best exemplified by his comments on the arms deals with the Saudis. Any politician, diplomat or functioning adult would have dressed it up in terms of "strategic partnerships" and "shared objectives" with a few dollops of "peace and stability" for good measure. Trump just came out and drooled over the money and the boom-boom machines that only kill other people's kids.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Obama and Biden were bigger warmongers than either Hilary or Trump. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Probably best exemplified by his comments on the arms deals with the Saudis. Any politician, diplomat or functioning adult would have dressed it up in terms of "strategic partnerships" and "shared objectives" with a few dollops of "peace and stability" for good measure. Trump just came out and drooled over the money and the boom-boom machines that only kill other people's kids.

I defo believe Trump used “pew-pew” when he talked about it. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I defo believe Trump used “pew-pew” when he talked about it. 

Then he did the "make it rain" gesture with his tiny hands.

• Upvote 1

On 02/08/2021 at 14:35, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Which was going to lead me to saying that due to our government and the West in general's, concerns for the people of brutal Middle Eastern regimes I am eagerly awaiting the invasion and overthrow of the Saudi Arabian rulers.

25 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Woman taken off a bus yesterday and had her hands chopped off by Saudis.  Her crime?  She'd been trying to drive the fucker.

One country we invade

The other we kiss the arse of .

Politics eh.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That didn't happen. I suspect it was intended as a joke.

They are still hardly a great bunch of lads when it comes to womens rights though are they?

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

They are still hardly a great bunch of lads when it comes to womens rights though are they?

Poor but improving. They're certainly not murdering women for giving people vaccines.

The Taliban taking back control of the country is a terrible thing but if the British empire, Soviet Union and the United United States, the three most powerful militaries, in history couldn't dislodge them, nothing ever will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Em City said:

The Taliban taking back control of the country is a terrible thing but if the British empire, Soviet Union and the United United States, the three most powerful militaries, in history couldn't dislodge them, nothing ever will.

Send the Ugandan military in 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Em City said:

There is a lesson there somewhere .

47 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Poor but improving. They're certainly not murdering women for giving people vaccines.

Fuck me.  Geopolitics at play right here.

1 hour ago, Em City said:

I remember seeing a TV programme when the US went in, a retired Red Army General talking to a retired US General. He basically said "you will never win". 20+ years later here we are...

• Upvote 1

On 31/07/2021 at 19:37, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's the girls and the women I feel worst for. We've let them down so badly. How will they ever forgive us.

Genuine question. How have we let them down so badly? I presume you mean by pulling out of Afghanistan. If so do the lib dems believe we should stay?

I thought the libs under good old Charlie Kennedy were against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, didn't the libs have their best election results for a generation partly because they were the only party to resist military intervention?