You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

47 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think it was pretty well documented that Al Qaida was integrated with the Taliban by the time the Americans launched the air strikes, Al Qaida carried out suicide bombings against high profile Afghan warlords that opposed or didn't play ball with the Taliban. It was not just about Bin Laden.

The Taliban must have considerable popular support on the ground, otherwise they wouldn't have survived all past defeats and lasted for over 25 years. Also, people tend to forget that most of rural Afghanistan probably lived the same (conservative) way for decades or centuries, regardless of who is in power in Kabul, royalists, leftists, Communists, Mujahideen, Taliban, Western-sponsord post-Taliban nation builders. So not much change outside Kabul and the handful of bigger cities

Most of that is spot on but I repeat, the Taliban were not responsible for 9/11. 

13 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Excellent watch that.

Didnt realise the Afghan army were not answerable to anyone and carried out atrocities on their own.

Also nails a few of the myths on here that the invasion was in any way a success and the stuff about womens right.

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I’m currently working in villages where Shria law was enacted for three decades, before a popular revolution, news of which hasn’t fully hit the villages yet, it’s going to take a long  time for those ghosts to disappear. 

Are you in Wiltshire , Bruce ?

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

A day. They’ve stopped letting people leave now.  Who could see that coming? 

Every single news outlet has reported they were cooperating. 

On the news today it said they were working with the army and stopping people who didnt have the necessary paper work.

So your assertion that they were not cooperating is patently untrue

I'm presuming you have a link for this latest development?. 

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Every single news outlet has reported they were cooperating. 

On the news today it said they were working with the army and stopping people who didnt have the necessary paper work.

So your assertion that they were not cooperating is patently untrue

I'm presuming you have a link for this latest development?. 

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1430164124672135182?s=21

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

It's quite ironic looking back that those most opposed to Blair's wars were the likes of Tony Benn and Corbyn, who have been proved to be right,whilst the Tories were all for them.

It’s still all Labour and the lefts fault mate

9 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'm presuming you didnt see you words..beyond the 31st of August?

It's a bit of both, to be fair. 

Earlier, the Taliban spokesman appeared to advise people to stay away from the airport as they couldn't guarantee their safety due to crowd control/stampedes etc. 

But, it looks like they have closed the roads approaching the airport now and will only let foreign nationals through but are blocking Afghan nationals from accessing the airport. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/24/un-receives-reports-of-serious-human-rights-violations-in-afghanistan

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck me, you're putting a badge of honour on and defending this bunch of murdering bastards?

Is pointing out what's actually happening them ,defending them?

The bbc are reporting the Americans are confident anyone with a pass is getting through.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Tweet unavailable 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-58279900?at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom4=6970A3C2-04E1-11EC-8DE7-46CABDCD475E&at_custom3=%40BBCBreaking&at_custom2=twitter&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7

21.20 update  Americans are confident that Afghan nationals are being allowed to the air base and considering the us envoy met them yesterday..

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Is pointing out what's actually happening them ,defending them?

The bbc are reporting the Americans are confident anyone with a pass is getting through.

I wouldnt trust them cunts an inch and they're still handing out summary excution of people on the streets. So fuck them and 'what's actually happening.'