You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

13 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Are they?

Well they have in the past, dunno if they are currently.

Taliban?

Yes

Machine guns?

Depends on the definition, machine guns and automatic rifles are different things but are usually thrown into the same category. 

School girls?

Yes, but school boys too. We shouldn't be more outraged over one gender being killed than the other. 

I believe he implied they were at present that's why I asked for evidence, my questions annoyed the forum police if nothing else.

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

one person was sitting on another's knitting.

To be fair, some things are worth a fight to the death over.

I mean, it’s not hard to check for someone’s knitting before you take a seat. Shows a monumental lack of consideration and is probably some form of indirect discrimination. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure any are making that argument - there is only one reason the US went there and that is Bin Laden.

Over the course of two decades other issues have been amplified - certainly anyone would agree womens rights is one. Now whether "we" should be telling other folks what those should be is a different conversation.

I think it's certainly being hinted that one of the plus points of the invasion is things like improved rights for women, and whilst the case can be made ,it conveniently ignores 100,000 dead civilians and rampant corruption in the gmnt(the irony)

I think the major issue is what happens now.

Someone mentioned several pages back there must be a degree of support for the Taliban in the villages,and there certainly seemed to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the gmnt.

I think what's clearly been proved is militiary intervention doesnt work.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Are we really using the deaths of school children to score internet points?

Fucking hell.

Oh, Malala Yousafzai, Afghan school girl, Nobel winning global activist, famously machine gunned in the fucking head, one of many attacks on schools, especially those teaching females, for having the audacity of wanting an education?

What next rejecting the existence of Elvis unless empirically verified by peer reviewed journal.

You want evidence provided for that, Jesus fucking Christ! 

Shark well and truly jumped.

EDIT: Fuck it, I was going to put it in the ‘slebs you’ve met thread, but I met her a few years back in Oxford on something we were both attending. She’s lovely and I can confirm she exists, didn’t ask to see the bullet wound though, will do next time mind. I’ll dig a picture out if I can find it.

Er calls people thick after posting load of shit that has no relevance to the point. Like fucking groundhog day. It was only yesterday you told me you were putting me on ignore you bullshitting low mark cunt.Don't worry I note Section's rode in on a big white horse to bail you out.  Now fuck off and do one.

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Someone mentioned several pages back there must be a degree of support for the Taliban in the villages,and there certainly seemed to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the gmnt.

On 18/08/2021 at 10:14, TheHowieLama said:

I think the West underestimated the advance work the Tally had put in. That and there is a good chance they were duped by the parts of the Afghan military brass.

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Apart from all those other times when it worked really well. And in Afghanistan where it worked for 20 years.

What like Iraq?vietnam?

Yep well obviously apart from the massive loss of life on both sides,endemic corruption and making that area of the world even more combustible, it was a roaring success.

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

What like Iraq?vietnam?

Yep well obviously apart from the massive loss of life on both sides,endemic corruption and making that area of the world even more combustible, it was a roaring success.

Amazingly enough Iraq and Vietnam weren't what I had in mind.

“We don’t have a complete picture, obviously, of where every article of defense materials has gone. But certainly, a fair amount of it has fallen into the hands of the Taliban,” said White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan on Tuesday.

“Obviously, we don’t have a sense that they are going to readily hand it over to us,” he said.

You don't say, Jake.