You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

1 hour ago, Moo said:

And without wanting to out myself as a thicko, would people even know what they are marching about now? The situation is such a mess, so complicated, so fractious, how would people coalesce?

Think you are spot on.

I think it's going to have to be a case of seeing what happens.

Apparently they have made deals with all those northern tribes they were previous at war with and are open to power sharing.

The eyes of the entire world are going to be on them.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Seeing them imagines from the airport earlier was horrible. Poor bastards 

Yeah it was awful.

Imagine your options being: stay and get murdered by the Taliban for collaborating or cling to a plane and take your chances.

What a fucking shit show.

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think people marching in solidarity with oppressed people is a good thing. I mean what decent person wouldn’t ? 

Well you’d think so but people lose their moral compass when it comes to America. If the people doing the oppressing of women and gays are anti America as well they’re unlikely to attract a lot of protests. 

Noticing lots of comments from the normal fat fucks in saturday combat fatigues shouting why aren't they fighting and running away ignoring the fact 3300 plus Afghan army died in 2020 alone. 

All while our cunts in charge change the rules to leave those that worked with British army to be slaughtered on a technicality. Didn't that cunt pritti Patels parents move to England to escape Idi Amim, but the usual I'm ok and ill pull the ladder up behind from a typical tory cunt

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

He was an interesting chap. Once described the Taliban as "misguided", which I think is understating it just a tad. I wonder if he still thinks homosexuality is immoral.

Reckon he made a killing selling those orange jump suits 

Taliban seem a bit more media savvy these days, coming out with the right diplomatic rhetoric. The previous Taliban did not give a fuck and just did and said anything without regards for the norms of international relations. Not saying they won't be the same violent, misogynist nutters but they've slightly upped their diplomacy game. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Baltar said:

Taliban seem a bit more media savvy these days, coming out with the right diplomatic rhetoric. The previous Taliban did not give a fuck and just did and said anything without regards for the norms of international relations. Not saying they won't be the same violent, misogynist nutters but they've slightly upped their diplomacy game. 

Whilst off camera…

NSFW - WARNING GRAPHIC

10 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Fucking hell

Horrendous all of it, how the fuck can you just pack up and leave knowing this would happen. 

Ryan Air and Easy jet will be getting ideas

Screenshot_20210816-222457_Twitter.jpg

That bloke in the middle has just asked if there is a vegan option for the in flight meal and what time does the movie start 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

That bloke in the middle has just asked if there is a vegan option for the in flight meal and what time does the movie start 

The only operators offering chrter flights out of Kabul are mainly offering only frieghters. Sit on the floor like the picture. Mainly Russian built as well.

Also (obviously) little or no covid precautions.

There's no more room in Britain for refugees so every time we accept one a Daily Mail reader should be deported, it's only fair. We can select batches of 10 and they can compete against each other to stay in some kind of Climbing for Cash, Running Man style situation.

"Frank Jones worked for the water board before it was privatised where he earned a good wage and bought a house for 11 grand in 1990, he now gets a final salary pension but loathes Marxism, black lives matter, northerners, poor people and foreigners." 

arnold-schwarzenegger-richard-dawson-the-running-man-1987-EFB2KN.jpg

• Upvote 3

I’m the same in not really knowing what to say but what do you make of the argument that this would have happened even if the British/Americans had stayed there for another 1, 5, 10, 20 years? Surely that has some merit, right? So what’s the solution? If the world doesn’t want to be changed, who the fuck are we to think we should change it?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m the same in not really knowing what to say but what do you make of the argument that this would have happened even if the British/Americans had stayed there for another 1, 5, 10, 20 years? Surely that has some merit, right? So what’s the solution? If the world doesn’t want to be changed, who the fuck are we to think we should change it?

It’s a more than valid point but I think this is more a case of the majority of the Afghan population wanting change, but the big bully in the playground denying it.

I don’t have the solution, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t the current direction of travel. 

On a more general point, I’m definitely with you on your last sentence. We should support change where it’s wanted by the majority (ideally without bloodshed) not because we want it (excluding situations where a failure to change brings a direct risk to ordinary people).

Even writing that last paragraph, reminds me how complicated it all is and the different shades of grey at play. 

• Upvote 1