You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Republicans are blaming Biden despite it being Trumps plan. 

If this happens under Trump, they blame Obama. Fuck Republicans. 

Also: Fuck the democrats for saying "this is Trump's plan" despite the current president carrying it out. 

Moral of the story: Fuck ALL of them. 

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Get your people out. Get the people who helped you out. Then you can do what you want.

It's lazy that the only comeback is "what's he supposed to do stay another 20 years?" as if departing now (and scrambling to get all your people out before some arbitrary deadline) and staying 20 more years and fighting a forever war are the only options..

The decision has already been made to leave.

To stay on for an indescrimate amount of time would be hugely unpopular. 

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

The decision has already been made to leave.

To stay on for an indescrimate amount of time would be hugely unpopular. 

Just long enough to get your people out, mate. That's all. 

EDIT: The Biden Administration chose the August 31 deadline too. 

31 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

This is probably a naive question..but what was this meant to achieve?

Who was the target?the Americans?the Taliban?

Or just normal afghams?

I know the answer is probally just to create fear but it seems particularly senseless.

Isis don’t think Taliban are devout enough.  

My take is that the US/Taliban deal last year was something like “we can see you’re not going away, so how about we fuck off next summer in return for you playing nice with that nice government we installed, and not blowing up any of our troops.” Thereve been few (if any?) attacks on US troops in the last year but it looks like the Taliban have just strung talks along, waiting for the Americans to fuck off and building their strength.

It’s left Biden with a choice: renege on the deal in the face of rising local Taliban aggression and see the bullets start flying, and front up the inevitable heat - especially when the troops start getting shot at and killed - at home (which could slowly take a toll over the coming years), or preside over unpalatable Fall of Saigon scenes and get heat from the international community - but heat that might pass quickly.

Im not saying it’s right - its fucking yellow - but there’s probably a no-win scenario at the heart of it.

Oh, and I just read about that ISIS-K attack on a maternity ward and they’re pretty much the vilest cunts on the planet. Says the attackers were all killed - I hope it was fucking painful and they suffered every second of it. Grim, backward cunts. 

You know ISIS are evil cunts when even the Taliban fucking hate them. 

The issue is not with the US leaving Afghanistan its the way Biden has done it. He pulled pretty much all the troops out before getting US civilians,  Afghanistan allies or people at risk out first and let's not forget the gold mine of weaponry he's left for the taliban. 

It's just crazy the way he's done it. 

People giving Biden shit saying he is finished because US servicemen have been killed.

Firstly, it was Trump's plan. He actually released the current leader of the Taliban as part of the negotiations. Art of the Deal, eh.

Secondly, he got US soldiers killed in Yemen with a suicide mission and not one word of it was said on Fox.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna806246

I honestly thought on the first day those pictures of crowds gathering near the airport came out, that there’d be a suicide bomber targeting them before too long. Then a day or two ago they said they had intelligence or there was a known threat? Surely they could have done more to combat it, especially with the Taliban stopping more people from getting through. 

I had no idea how prolific ISIS-K were. The list of their attacks that was on the Wiki page that Bruce posted is shocking reading. I don’t remember a single one of them being on/in the news here. If any were they must have been tucked well out of sight. 

Just makes it seem that what happened yesterday was even more inevitable than I’d first thought, given that the majority of their previous suicide bombings had happened in Kabul anyway. 

And Joe Biden’s tough guy act last night was ridiculous. Looking straight down the camera giving it the full Neeson. “We will find you and we will kill you and any civilians that happen to be in the area, using our unmanned flying bombing machines.”

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I honestly thought on the first day those pictures of crowds gathering near the airport came out, that there’d be a suicide bomber targeting them before too long. Then a day or two ago they said they had intelligence or there was a known threat? Surely they could have done more to combat it, especially with the Taliban stopping more people from getting through. 

I had no idea how prolific ISIS-K were. The list of their attacks that was on the Wiki page that Bruce posted is shocking reading. I don’t remember a single one of them being on/in the news here. If any were they must have been tucked well out of sight. 

Just makes it seem that what happened yesterday was even more inevitable than I’d first thought, given that the majority of their previous suicide bombings had happened in Kabul anyway. 

And Joe Biden’s tough guy act last night was ridiculous. Looking straight down the camera giving it the full Neeson. “We will find you and we will kill you and any civilians that happen to be in the area, using our unmanned flying bombing machines.”

I've not seen it but sounds a scene from 24.