You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

21 minutes ago, M_B said:

You implied the attacks were organized by the Taliban. They weren't, and Gnasher asked you for evidence.

I didn't imply anything. I outright stated that they bore responsibility for the attacks, for the reasons I've mentioned already.

19 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

He knows that, he's found a little band of followers though, sheep who rep his nonsense.

Speaking about people who rep nonsense, how in the name of all that is holy does Gnasher have almost as much rep as Stouffer?

48 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The attacks were organised from Afghanistan by a fugitive from American justice who the Taliban were harbouring. When asked to hand him over, they refused.

None of this is secret knowledge.

Actually they asked for sit down negotiations with the Americans, who refused.

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Because they killed an American soldier? That time? 

Nope 

After 9 11 they demanded bin laden

The Taliban asked for proof and then requested negotiations which the anericans were in no mood to do.

Ths Taliban may be cunts but they are certainly not responsible for 9/11 ,yet the country where the terrorists came from,we are best mates with.

Strange world

31 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I didn't imply anything. I outright stated that they bore responsibility for the attacks, for the reasons I've mentioned already.

The Taliban didn't plan or execute 9/11. It's not secret information.

If you want to say they shared responsibility because they wouldn't hand them over then knock yourself out. 

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Nope 

After 9 11 they demanded bin laden

The Taliban asked for proof and then requested negotiations which the anericans were in no mood to do.

Ths Taliban may be cunts but they are certainly not responsible for 9/11 ,yet the country where the terrorists came from,we are best mates with.

Strange world

It is. 

There’s a whole thread on 9/11. 

The cunts are now in charge and are going to take Afghanistan back to the dark ages.  Obviously whilst a select few make billions and somehow manage to have all the advantages of the western world they so hate.  Their kids will be going to Eton in 2 years whilst kids in Afghanistan will be starving, being forced into marriage at 12 and then fighting a civil war. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It is. 

There’s a whole thread on 9/11. 

The cunts are now in charge and are going to take Afghanistan back to the dark ages.  Obviously whilst a select few make billions and somehow manage to have all the advantages of the western world they so hate.  Their kids will be going to Eton in 2 years whilst kids in Afghanistan will be starving, being forced into marriage at 12 and then fighting a civil war. 

Apparently they done deals with the northern tribes in exchange for power sharing, so time will tell how that Pans out.

I think the people are utterly sick of war so I'm not sure how likely a civil war is.

They seem to be cooperating with the evacuation so far,but fuck knows what will happen when we pull out.

Time will tell I suppose.

I've read several pieces which state there are moderate forces in the Taliban but it's not 1 entity and tvery much varies from region to region

6 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Apparently they done deals with the northern tribes in exchange for power sharing, so time will tell how that Pans out.

I think the people are utterly sick of war so I'm not sure how likely a civil war is.

They seem to be cooperating with the evacuation so far,but fuck knows what will happen when we pull out.

Time will tell I suppose.

I've read several pieces which state there are moderate forces in the Taliban but it's not 1 entity and tvery much varies from region to region

How are they cooperating with the evacuation? Is it by shooting people? 

I’m sure those ‘moderates’ will prevail.  I mean they’ve done such a good job so far.

It never ceases to amaze me the bollocks people will spout and contortions they’ll undertake despite all the evidence to the contrary. Moderate Taliban, you’ll be telling there’s an LGBTQ faction next. 

23 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Agreed here - they had already laid the groundwork months ago.

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Moderate Taliban, you’ll be telling there’s an LGBTQ faction next. 

I don't think that is the expectation. TBH they are probably taking a baby step to the left while most of the rest of the world is boot scoot boogieing to the right.

Interesting to see what Congress decide to do with the US held Afghan govt reserves, and the sanctions slapped on after 9/11. Sopko and a few others think it's an opportunity to impose some conditions on protecting women's rights/press freedoms etc, but there'd be a lot of push back politically so who knows.

One thing's clear from the SIGAR reports, though, and that's that the invasion was an utter fucking shambles. The quote from Doug Lute in particular is genuinely incredible.

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m sure those ‘moderates’ will prevail.  I mean they’ve done such a good job so far.

It never ceases to amaze me the bollocks people will spout and contortions they’ll undertake despite all the evidence to the contrary. Moderate Taliban, you’ll be telling there’s an LGBTQ faction next. 

1287a9e73353afd81b95d68d79655f05.jpg

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

If the Taliban are such a terrible threat to the women of Afghanistan , maybe their menfolk should have put up more of a fight , their army was only five times the size , much better trained and much better equipped.

I read that they had weapons and training but virtually none of the senior army ranks, civilian staff or logistical skills required to keep a western style army running. The yanks did all that and took it with them when they left. 

If they weren’t properly organised or even getting paid they couldn’t/wouldn’t put up much of a fight. 

*In the midst of the greatest health emergency in modern times, with more than 4 million surgical procedures delayed by the National Health Service, Johnson has announced a record increase of £16.5 billion in so-called defence spending - a figure that would restore the under-resourced NHS many times over.*

http://johnpilger.com/articles/the-most-lethal-virus-is-not-covid-it-is-war-

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Thread on opium production in Afghanistan through the past years, not good,

More on the Afgan/American opium/heroin trade, pointless discussing America's involvement in Afghanistan without looking into the relationship between the two countries and that country's biggest commodity,

Excellent article this;

https://www.mintpressnews.com/cia-afghanistan-drug-trade-opium/277780/

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Well there was an army general on the ground yesterday saying they were cooperating and there is the fact that 1000s of people have been evacuated but you seem to know better.

No you are right..every single taliban member is a maniac and every single afghan person detests them.

Nuanced thinking like that will see time through this I'm.sure.

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

If the Taliban are such a terrible threat to the women of Afghanistan , maybe their menfolk should have put up more of a fight , their army was only five times the size , much better trained and much better equipped.

I think there is a degree of support for them in the country which means the situation is not as clear cut as people are making out.

The fact is that they are in now and at a diplomatic level we are going to have to work with them.