You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

Would be absolutely gutted if I'd been injured of lost a friend in Afghanistan. Not because the Taliban have retaken it, but the reason they've retaken it. As others have said, it was never about genuinely trying to equip their army to perform in the field, but about getting government contracts. Just a pure business exercise, as usual.

• Upvote 1

Raab living up to expectations. Maybe he was checking out Dover in an atlas.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/19/dominic-raab-faces-pressure-from-opposition-and-tory-mps-to-resign

They were told Raab was not available and that a junior minister, Zac Goldsmith, a Tory peer, should make the call instead. Because Lord Goldsmith was not Atmar’s direct equivalent, there was a delay of a day. The paper has now reported that the call never even took place.

The source told the Guardian Raab “refused to be contacted on basically anything” for more than a week, and instead directed that “everything had to go to Goldsmith”. They added that Raab’s team had told civil servants “there was an incredibly high bar to getting him to look at anything while on holiday”.

Still found time to laugh at the situation in the parliamentary debate though.

13 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Burgon is so dense, it's only a 4 minute video and I don't have time to properly address all the guff he's said there. It's honestly incredible how someone can have such a superficial understanding of the situation.

The "guff" you say he's speaking mainly mirror's the veiws of the Lib Dems when they had a very popular period under Charlie Kennedy, 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Would be absolutely gutted if I'd been injured of lost a friend in Afghanistan. Not because the Taliban have retaken it, but the reason they've retaken it. As others have said, it was never about genuinely trying to equip their army to perform in the field, but about getting government contracts. Just a pure business exercise, as usual.

More than if you lost a friend in any other war?

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Repping Gnasher's obviously false bullshit, then criticising people for not engaging with it. What a time to be alive. 

You're just pissed off you've got a challenger 

It's not false though is it. I mean, Ed Davey was saying similar (as I showed) and you chose not to engage with that. You're worse than Johnson for lying soundbites. I mean, what part of "Richard Burgon wants protection for Palestinian children" made you attack him and bring Corby into it? 

More than 100 guards at the British embassy in Kabul have been told they are not eligible for UK government protection because they were hired through an outsourced contractor, the Guardian has learned.

Most of the 125-strong team of security personnel, employed by the global security firm GardaWorld, have been given informal notice that they no longer have jobs guarding the embassy, several said.

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

More than 100 guards at the British embassy in Kabul have been told they are not eligible for UK government protection because they were hired through an outsourced contractor, the Guardian has learned.

Most of the 125-strong team of security personnel, employed by the global security firm GardaWorld, have been given informal notice that they no longer have jobs guarding the embassy, several said.

Yes, stay here and die for all we care. the US have evacuated their security people apparently.

Great Britain eh?

52 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You're just pissed off you've got a challenger 

It's not false though is it. I mean, Ed Davey was saying similar (as I showed) and you chose not to engage with that. You're worse than Johnson for lying soundbites. I mean, what part of "Richard Burgon wants protection for Palestinian children" made you attack him and bring Corby into it? 

The only similarity between what Davey was saying and what Burgon was saying is that they are both in the English language.

The Lib Dems supported NATO's legal and legitimate Article 5 intervention in Afghanistan after they refused to hand over Osama bin Laden, so on what planet is that anything like the bleating of cattle like Burgon, who opposed us going into Afghanistan in the first place?

Didn't take you long to shoehorn Israel into the discussion, did it.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The only similarity between what Davey was saying and what Burgon was saying is that they are both in the English language.

The Lib Dems supported NATO's legal and legitimate Article 5 intervention in Afghanistan after they refused to hand over Osama bin Laden, so on what planet is that anything like the bleating of cattle like Burgon, who opposed us going into Afghanistan in the first place?

Didn't take you long to shoehorn Israel into the discussion, did it.

You can’t help being complete disingenuous can you. Davey  wanted “tea with the taliban” ! 

Well seeing as you shoehorned Corbyn in (and we know why you don’t like him) I thought it was quite apt don't you? I know you don’t like when people can read you like a book but unfortunately for you you’re too easy to see right through. 

I see you still haven’t engaged with Gnasher. I was right. 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Repping Gnasher's obviously false bullshit, then criticising people for not engaging with it. What a time to be alive. 

How is it false? Charlie Kennedys stance on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars has proved to be totally justified. Burgon's statement in the clip about Britain going to war in Afghanistan pretty much echoes the veiws of the lib dems at the time. 

You may call these anti war statements from certain figures"guff" but its worth remembering and reflecting that more the 400 British soldiers lost their lives and thousandrs more were injured in Afghanistan.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nice.