You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real in for Benzema, apparently

Steve Holt

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon lad, Diouf tore the french league a new one and look how he turned out over here. Remember the nickname 'The serial killer'

He really did not, those who watched him in the World Cup and had some actual knowledge knew he would be a disaster for us, Dioufs record is 10 league goals in one season, the year before we bought him.

No end product whatsoever, bags of tricks though, but whats the use when you dont produce anything with them.

Lyon have confirmed it now:-

Lyon have announced that star striker Karim Benzema is to become the latest player to join Real Madrid.

The French forward had been linked with Manchester United, but big-spending Real - who have already captured Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo in record deals - have won the race.

Lyon have said the transfer will be worth at least £30million as new Bernabeu president Florentino Perez continues to build a new era of 'galacticos'.

A statement on the French club's official website said: "Lyon announces the agreement with Real Madrid of the transfer of international attacker Karim Benzema for a net minimum value of €35m.

"It will also be possible to add various no-claims bonuses related to athletic performances, allowing the deal to reach a maximum amount €41m."

Preference

It was thought that Benzema would remain at Lyon for one more season in order to concentrate on the 2010 World Cup.

However, the Ligue 1 outfit have announced that the attacker told the club's hierarchy that he wanted to join Real, who he preferred to United, this summer.

The statement continued: "A few days ago, Karim Benzema informed president Jean Michel Aulas of his wish to join Madrid, which has always been his preference after Lyon, quicker than it was initially considered.

"The player wished to seize the opportunity that was offered to him by Real, which was to be one of the major elements of the club's new, ambitious policy built around some of the largest players in the world.

"Lyon accepted the decision of Karim Benzema and negotiated the conditions of a transfer which satisfy the various elements.

"The club wishes Karim the greatest success with Real Madrid."

Sky Sports | Football | News | Lyon confirm Benzema deal

He really did not, those who watched him in the World Cup and had some actual knowledge knew he would be a disaster for us, Dioufs record is 10 league goals in one season, the year before we bought him.

No end product whatsoever, bags of tricks though, but whats the use when you dont produce anything with them.

I agree with you - except for the "bags of tricks". People were giddy with delight (I remember Brendan was one of them) that Houllier had been so clever to arrange the deal before the rest of the world realised what a genius he had signed following his appearances in the World Cup. I said then and I say now he did nothing in the World Cup to justify the hysteria or the price we paid for him. He ran up and down the wing energetically i.e. he was his usually shite self. To think Houllier let Anelka go to buy Diouf!

Lyon have confirmed it now:-

Lyon have announced that star striker Karim Benzema is to become the latest player to join Real Madrid.

The French forward had been linked with Manchester United, but big-spending Real - who have already captured Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo in record deals - have won the race.

Lyon have said the transfer will be worth at least £30million as new Bernabeu president Florentino Perez continues to build a new era of 'galacticos'.

A statement on the French club's official website said: "Lyon announces the agreement with Real Madrid of the transfer of international attacker Karim Benzema for a net minimum value of €35m.

"It will also be possible to add various no-claims bonuses related to athletic performances, allowing the deal to reach a maximum amount €41m."

Preference

It was thought that Benzema would remain at Lyon for one more season in order to concentrate on the 2010 World Cup.

However, the Ligue 1 outfit have announced that the attacker told the club's hierarchy that he wanted to join Real, who he preferred to United, this summer.

The statement continued: "A few days ago, Karim Benzema informed president Jean Michel Aulas of his wish to join Madrid, which has always been his preference after Lyon, quicker than it was initially considered.

"The player wished to seize the opportunity that was offered to him by Real, which was to be one of the major elements of the club's new, ambitious policy built around some of the largest players in the world.

"Lyon accepted the decision of Karim Benzema and negotiated the conditions of a transfer which satisfy the various elements.

"The club wishes Karim the greatest success with Real Madrid."

Sky Sports | Football | News | Lyon confirm Benzema deal

Is it just me or are United running out of World Class players to buy, young or otherwise?

Ferguson usually gets who he wants?

players who have rejected them off the top of my head

Riquelme

Ribery

Mascherano

Shearer

Di Canio

Alonso

Aurelio(not entirely sure on that one)

Robben

Mikel

Torres

Casillas

Essien

Figo

Silva

and looks like Benzema will and Ribery will for a 2nd time

when was the last time scum signed an already world class player? excluding Tevez as that was a loan i would say Veron and they turned him terrible, no-one wants to play for the bastards!

Breaking news, Sepp Blatter has this to say about madrid's mega spending spree

(Silence)

And yet it's the most interesting thing he's ever said.

and sensible.

Villa looks set for Barca.

Benzema is an excellent prospect, doubt he's quite worth the fee paid but if Real are to play a 4-2-3-1 formation he is the kind of greedy/selfish/determined striker that's often needed in that formation. Gotta wonder how much influence Zidane had in it and the possible signing of Ribery

Have rarely seen him play, but is he actually that good?

He's quick, and strong, and shoots well... but I don't know much else about him.

I don't really watch the French League because its assy and I have no interest, but from what I've seen of him he struck me as a good player.

I think they are just paying the Lyon surtax and for his potential.

He is a wonderful footballer but thats big money for a player unproven in one of the big leagues - he could be the next Henry or the next Cisse for all we know. What he does have is immense upper body strength, fabulous especially when he recieves the ball and he scores all types of goals like a Torres.

im personally delighted them scumbags didnt get Benzema, i reckon he`d be a great playe rin the premiership, he`s big, strong, quick, good finsher, good in the air, he has all the tools

im just a little worried that manure will get Eto`o now, who i reckon will score goals wherever he goes, BUT, isnt there a rumour that the yank owners at the toilet wont sanction the purchase of any players over the age of 26, as their resale value is bad, or something to that effect

they're buying players because they can now, they dont need Benzema really when they have Huntelaar and Negredo, which is sufficient when you have Ronaldo and Kaka!

yet for a player they truly need they haven't closed yet is Alonso, stunning. I hope if they want him we charge them through the nose and make them appreciate him more than some 21 year old from the french league who has proven sod all and who they don't really need.

The advantage is the mancs are denied him but I think he would have prefered to stay at Lyon than play for Slur.

I think with the kind of contracts they're on persuading them to go will not be easy, plus they will be entitled to pay offs because they're being discarded. another warning for players re the circus of Madrid/Barce when the president gets turfed out so do you and are replaced by some flavour of the month

I think their policy isn't logical now, they went for a french player to satisfy Zidane (do they really intend to go for Ribery as well?). Nevemrind Huntelaar, Negredo and Higuian clearly the wrong nationality and despite being promising players will be turfed out or left on the bench.

The more I look at this, the more I think Real are playing a blinder here. If I'm not wrong, they have done this now because they will go all out to secure European Cup No10 on their home turf.

In terms of the players who might be let go, Real can dictate terms to them because none of them will want to stagnate in World Cup year. Real can effectively ask for top whack, rather than letting the players involved set their own agenda, as to put it simply, players deemed surplus to requirements will either

A - be sold to interested parties at top whack, meaning Real claw back some of their ridiculous outlay, or

B - sit tight, getting little to no football in an important season, and face missing out on playing for their country at the World Cup. The knock-on effect of this action is that the player is seen as more trouble than he's worth and cannot command the top wages on any future contract.

The only fly in the ointment is the players that stick around when not required could kick up a fuss behind the scenes, affecting dressing room harmony. Say that, club legend Raul is not averse to creating problems if things don't go his way.

I think with the kind of contracts they're on persuading them to go will not be easy, plus they will be entitled to pay offs because they're being discarded. another warning for players re the circus of Madrid/Barce when the president gets turfed out so do you and are replaced by some flavour of the month

I think their policy isn't logical now, they went for a french player to satisfy Zidane (do they really intend to go for Ribery as well?). Nevemrind Huntelaar, Negredo and Higuian clearly the wrong nationality and despite being promising players will be turfed out or left on the bench.

Ha! Higuain is french(well, French/Argie) as well!