You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bruce Grobbelaar Questions?

lifetime fan

What does the book alledge? Apart from the obvious.

Basically destroys the defense that Fash & him presented & shows all the links that existed between them & the gamblers.

Stops short of saying that he ever actually threw a match.

It's an interesting read (as are all Conn's books on football)

Bruce and bookies?..............he won't answer that.

There was a great radio interview with him just after that happened on 5 live. They kicked off the 'chat' by asking him what it felt like to be the bookies favourite. This lead to a masssive pause, which was so long I thought he had hung up, then BG asking what was meant by that.

The interviewer quickly said they meant about hells kitchen. You could tell from all the unspoken stuff going on that it was all a bit close to the bone...

Its one of those 'you had to be there to see the funny side' type things but at the time I was laughing so hard I nearly crashed the van

I didn't mean the book, I know nothing about it. I meant the rag, he sued and won. Three court cases failed to substantiate the allegations.

Not really that cut and dried..

From Wikipedia

Grobbelaar pleaded not guilty, claiming he was only gathering evidence with the intent of taking it to the police. After two successive trials, in both of which the jury could not agree on a verdict, he and his co-defendants were cleared in November 1997. Grobbelaar later sued The S*n for libel and was awarded £85,000. The Sun appealed, and the case was eventually taken to the House of Lords where it was found that, though the specific allegations had not been proved, there was adequate evidence of dishonesty. The Lords slashed his award to £1, the lowest libel damages possible under English law, and ordered him to pay The Sun's legal costs, estimated at £500,000. In his judgement, Lord Bingham of Cornhill observed:

"The tort of defamation protects those whose reputations have been unlawfully injured. It affords little or no protection to those who have, or deserve to have, no reputation deserving of legal protection. Until 9 November 1994 when the newspaper published its first articles about him, the appellant's public reputation was unblemished. But he had in fact acted in a way in which no decent or honest footballer would act and in a way which could, if not exposed and stamped on, undermine the integrity of a game which earns the loyalty and support of millions."[2]

Grobbelaar was unable to pay the costs and was declared bankrupt.

Not really that cut and dried..

From Wikipedia

Grobbelaar pleaded not guilty, claiming he was only gathering evidence with the intent of taking it to the police. After two successive trials, in both of which the jury could not agree on a verdict, he and his co-defendants were cleared in November 1997. Grobbelaar later sued The S*n for libel and was awarded £85,000. The Sun appealed, and the case was eventually taken to the House of Lords where it was found that, though the specific allegations had not been proved, there was adequate evidence of dishonesty. The Lords slashed his award to £1, the lowest libel damages possible under English law, and ordered him to pay The Sun's legal costs, estimated at £500,000. In his judgement, Lord Bingham of Cornhill observed:

"The tort of defamation protects those whose reputations have been unlawfully injured. It affords little or no protection to those who have, or deserve to have, no reputation deserving of legal protection. Until 9 November 1994 when the newspaper published its first articles about him, the appellant's public reputation was unblemished. But he had in fact acted in a way in which no decent or honest footballer would act and in a way which could, if not exposed and stamped on, undermine the integrity of a game which earns the loyalty and support of millions."[2]

Grobbelaar was unable to pay the costs and was declared bankrupt.

The bits in bold are legal speak for "failed to substantiate the allegations" - my comment.

He was taken to court charged with match-fixing, not being dishonest.

I've never believed he threw matches.

Neither do I believe Bruce's claim that he was just collecting evidence.

I've always thought that he was probably selling snippets of information about injuries/team selections etc which was obviously against the rules but a million miles away from match-fixing.

I've always thought that he was probably selling snippets of information about injuries/team selections etc which was obviously against the rules but a million miles away from match-fixing.

Exactly my thoughts.

This is the man who nearly strangled Jim Beglin and Macca on the pitch for their mistakes. I can't think of any player ever who has done that twice to a team mate. Does that seem like a man who would throw a game?

He also gave away more than half of his testimonial money and also accepted every contract LFC presented to him without negotiation. His highest ever contract was £150,000-a-year. Is that the kind of man who would throw a game for money.

Something was going on, but he wasn't match fixing and the 3 court cases came to that conclusion.

I just think it's great to be able to tell the bluenoses and the Mancs that we won all of those trophies with a goalkeeper who was trying to lose.

Bruce - for that I could never thank you enough.

Exactly my thoughts.

This is the man who nearly strangled Jim Beglin and Macca on the pitch for their mistakes. I can't think of any player ever who has done that twice to a team mate. Does that seem like a man who would throw a game?

He also gave away more than half of his testimonial money and also accepted every contract LFC presented to him without negotiation. His highest ever contract was £150,000-a-year. Is that the kind of man who would throw a game for money.

Something was going on, but he wasn't match fixing and the 3 court cases came to that conclusion.

I just think it's great to be able to tell the bluenoses and the Mancs that we won all of those trophies with a goalkeeper who was trying to lose.

Bruce - for that I could never thank you enough.

That's pretty much how I see it too.

How any Liverpool supporter could believe The S*n over Brucie is beyond me.