You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I hated Setanta, their customer service was awful and after the trouble I had trying to cancel and the way I was treated like shit by their call centre staff I vowed never to pay them a penny ever again.

if you got through to the main Call centre in Newry, its practically filled with the South Armagh Brigade of the IRA... so that doesnt surprise me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setanta needed to get 2m subscriptions to break even. ESPN have paid exactly the same amount but people expected them to give the games for free. Bit of a logic bypass there lads.

Not at all. There's actually a very valid argument that they'd be better off doing exactly that, rather than hoping people subscribe.

Surely if they reapeat what Setanta did then they just replicate the same mistakes and go the same way, losing the same amount of money? Now THAT'S illogical!

What is needed is a totally new approach.

If they show the games for free then many more millions of people will watch the channel, they can then command massive revenues for advertising, which would far outweigh what measely subscription money they are currently bringing in.

Nobody else provides free premiership football at present, so who exactly wouldn't watch it on ESPN if it was available?

It could make them one of the most sought after channels for advertising in the whole world.

Edited by Tom R

Also, once demand is created, they can THEN start a subscription policy,

This sounds a bit radical today, but it's actually the way in which Sky Sports started out back in the day.

First you get them hooked, then you start charging money for it. It's like any good old fashioned crack dealer.

Setanta had financial commitments to far more than just Premiership games. If ESPN don't have all the excess financial commitments to all these other sports then they will probably need less subscribers to break even compared to Setanta.

Setanta had financial commitments to far more than just Premiership games. If ESPN don't have all the excess financial commitments to all these other sports then they will probably need less subscribers to break even compared to Setanta.

Great point.

£9 a month for one channel? That's fucking rip off compared to Setanta on a per channel basis.

Especially when setanta included LFCTV

Another big win for the consumer thanks to the EC anti-monopoly rules. I am now free to pay three companies more for the same product one of them could have supplied.

So if you have ESPN america already which is a subscription channel the footie will just be added onto that I assume, or am I missing something.

Not sure but I think it's just being added as a new extra on the sky platform.