You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shutdown of Setanta has been a real bonus to me. ESPN America is now free so I can still watch Baseball and the Football will be redistributed to over channels so I have saved £12 a month and lost nothing - Well except maybe the boxing as those fights Setanta would show for free will probably now go to Box Office but I can live with that as just get all the lads to chip in. Best of all I will never have to listen to Setanta's shit punditry again - it was almost as bad as Gavin Peacock!

Result really!

Well ESPN are a subscription channel on Virgin Media already so i hardly think they are going to drop those charges now they have the rights to something the customers really want to see.

I think i read somewhere Virgin Media are trying to get the same deal with ESPN as they did with Setanta in that if your a XL customer you get it free.

ESPN on freeview will be a subscription channel just the same as Setanta was.

Whilst i can not prove this is going to be the case im pretty sure this is what will happen.

I didnt expect it was going to be free, i'm just glad that non-sky subscribers will actually get the chance to watch some games.

I hated Setanta, their customer service was awful and after the trouble I had trying to cancel and the way I was treated like shit by their call centre staff I vowed never to pay them a penny ever again.

I'm made up someone else has got the rights.

I'm not taking out a subscription. Hopefully they'll have a PPV channel just for the footie.

This is my hope as well.

Espn America could be part of a sky package as lfc, setanta etc were.

Fingers crossed.

Whatever happens I'm just lovin havin "Baseball Tonight", "Jim Rome is burning" and "Around The Horn" as well as the live Baseball of course. :D

Is now appearing as channel 34 on Freeview (you may need to retune your box)

Looks like those of us without sky still may be able to catch games next season. Hopefully the quality is better than shitanta

nice one.. how may games have they got.

Around the Horn and Baseball tonight are superb. If you have Sky ESPN America is free as part of the News and Events pack - so if you have a full subscription you get it at no extra cost. I figured that ESPN might be the same as I could not see them charging for one and not the other. Maybe they will have learnt from the Setanta debaucle that subscription will get them no where as they do not offer enough to get the required numbers.

If they do not charge they will be able to attract and very large number of viewers and as a result command a bigger fee for advertising. This model to me would make more sense to me.

Story regarding ESPN America as part of sky package here:

BaseballSoftballUK.com Baseball News

Well ESPN are a subscription channel on Virgin Media already so i hardly think they are going to drop those charges now they have the rights to something the customers really want to see.

I think i read somewhere Virgin Media are trying to get the same deal with ESPN as they did with Setanta in that if your a XL customer you get it free.ESPN on freeview will be a subscription channel just the same as Setanta was.

Whilst i can not prove this is going to be the case im pretty sure this is what will happen.

I'm with Virgin media at the moment, though I doubt I will be for much longer. I have their XL package and ESPN is currently charged on top of that.

ESPN america on Virgin used to be NASN seperate from Shitanta, and charge a subscription fee, think it is £10 but cannot rememeber.

I am hoping they will include if it is a new channel on that subscription, but who knows.

I think once SKY and ESPN have chosen what games they will show, we will get moe idea about what they will do.

Not sure wheh that we be though.