You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brookside

Elite

A great show until the late 90's when I started watching it. The tedious storylines contributed seriously to it's demise. It was common for storylines to last 12 months or more. There was an over reliance on pyrotechnics at times, the more notorious ones are still on youtube. While the theme tune was at times, the only uplifting thing in an action-packed episode.

It still produced great moments of drama though, the Jordache court case was fantastic tv when Brookside peaked in popularity, the bust-up between Jackie and Jimmy after Shelley's involvement in their marriage was similiar. There were high points too, Ron' Dixon's antics at the Jacqui castle wedding to the posh bloke show at the turn of the decade was as close as Brookside came to a sitcom.

It was a real eye-opener at times, about subjects people knew little about. But the show lost the plot in the last 12 months, with single show storylines, regular Yank-style "flashbacks", coupled with at times unwatchable "filmic" presentation technique, made the show more surreal than realistic. The show ended with a whimper, rather than a talking point.

It might have been the "most dangerous housing estate in Britain", but it was a C4 institution until the now BBC boss pulled the plug in 2002. Live episodes may be no more, but classic episodes are regularly posted on youtube.

• 7 years later...

My Jackie Dickson crush was brought to the fore yesterday which is why I had a wee look for a Brookside thread.

I wanted to be Damien when I was a kid, absolutely gutted when he was chibbed & always remember Rod the Plod being a bluenosed twat.

• Upvote 2

My Jackie Dickson crush was brought to the fore yesterday which is why I had a wee look for a Brookside thread.

I wanted to be Damien when I was a kid, absolutely gutted when he was chibbed & always remember Rod the Plod being a bluenosed twat.

There was some proper fit tanned bird on there as well, totally forgot her name though.

Anna Friel was on a programme on itv last night. She is still gorgeous.

I used to love her but her face is absolutely fucked with plastic nowadays.

There's a lot to be said for growing old gracefully.

• Upvote 1

I worked for Littlewoods in the 90s.

Some Geordie fella got his couch delivered to Northern Ireland because some dopey bitch thought County Durham was in Northern Ireland when she processed the order. It took ages to sort out.

The Geordie fella got so fed up of waiting he ranted paddy berger style in a letter to us. Which read like this:

Dear scouse twats,

Thanks for delivering my fucking couch to IRA land. Pity you are that fucking stupid you think county Durham is there.

I spoke to some fat fucking scouse Slag who sounded like Jackie Dixon. She was a thick fucking twat who had no idea what the fuck was going on.

You really are a bunch of stupid scouse thick twats and while you've been sitting round I've been sitting on fuck all because I've got no fucking couch which I've already paid 800 bastard twatting quid for.

If you doing sort this out I am going to come down and shoot all of you scouse twats. And I don't care if the boss of the call centre is Barry Grant. If he is i will fucking batter the cunt.

• Upvote 4