You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brookside

Elite

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I remember me and me Dad was in town with my young nephew and niece , they loved Brookside, when we bumped into Hobo Rick , they were chatting and the kids were star struck for want of a word, anyway we went up to his bar which I think was called Limelight’s? there was quite a few of the cast in there and we had a good laugh and a pint with him , after saying see yer me Dad said he’d cause trouble in a nest of rats , I know what he was on about now, he was sound.

There was another on the show he knew called Scoggins , I met his lad on a train from London and had a good laugh and a bevvy , he lived in Bournemouth and said I should get down sometime as I was only in Southampton but never did apart from work.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought he was a property guru?

It doesn't sound too hard to be both.

https://www.liverpoolcityregion-ca.gov.uk/simon-obrien-named-as-liverpool-city-region-cycling-and-walking-commissioner/

To mark his announcement as Liverpool City Region cycling and walking commissioner, actor and green transport activist Simon O’Brien has taken politicians including Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram and Liverpool City Region transport leader Cllr Liam Robinson on a bike ride along the Liverpool and Wirral waterfronts.

Simon is known for his roles in Brookside as well as a number of other series including Rough Guide and Find It, Fix It, Flog It and is an active bike user who ran a cycling café in Liverpool city centre for a number of years.

Simon will be helping to deliver the Metro Mayor’s vision for an active travel revolution across all six districts of the city region – Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, St Helens, Sefton and Wirral.

The route cycled in Liverpool passed the north docks, the Ten Streets district and Bramley Moore Dock whilst on Wirral it took in the Tower Road Bridge and the site of the Wirral Waters development.

The ride gave Simon the chance to demonstrate some of the challenges people currently face in cycling around parts of the Liverpool City Region and allowed the Metro Mayor to outline his ambitious plans to get more people travelling by bike.

Simon O’Brien said:

“35 years ago I swapped the car for my bike and I’ve not looked back since. Cycling is not only a fantastic way of getting around, but can also help address climate change and air pollution and help people’s mental and physical health. But to make it the obvious choice for everyone, we need to seriously improve the facilities available.

That’s why I’m really happy to extend my current role as Liverpool’s cycling and walking commissioner to cover the entire Liverpool City Region, to work across all six boroughs to help make the Metro Mayor’s vision for a revolution in active travel a reality.”

At a recent meeting of the Combined Authority, funding was committed for the first seven routes of a planned 600km of walking and cycling network. The network will consist of new and upgraded routes and include key infrastructure including segregated cycle lanes, signage and special traffic signalling.

The Combined Authority is also investing in initiatives designed to drive behaviour change and encourage people to take more short journeys on cycle, like cycle safety training for young people and schemes to provide bikes to help newly employed people travel to work.

Steve Rotheram, Metro Mayor of the Liverpool City Region said:

“I’m delighted that Simon has agreed to be our cycling champion for the whole city region. I can’t think of anyone more enthusiastic about travelling by bike in the local area than he is.

It was fantastic to join him on a bike ride last week; to be able to take in some of the most beautiful areas on both sides of our waterfront; and to understand some of the significant challenges faced by people riding bikes in some parts of our city region.

That’s why we’re pushing forward with a network of 600km of new and upgraded cycling and walking routes, connected to our wider local transport network and with all the infrastructure to allow people to travel safely”