You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Torres the best ever LFC CF

Red Nick

I can't yet agree with that. In his prime Henry was a different breed to any striker of the past twenty or thirty years. He wasn't just a brilliant 30 goal striker, he was also contributing 20 to 30 assists a season. For a striker that is absolutely unreal and Torres is still a few years from reaching that. Henry was the Arsenal team and in his prime, unplayable.

While Henry was an incredible player the lad who played next to him (mostly behind him actually) meant more to Arsenal and is the reason Wenger is still allowed the trophyless seasons to this day.

Torres is not better than Henry but I believe again, he will be. More complete? Never, but the world game will be what seperates Torres and Henry. Where as Henry was an excellent player in an amazing team, Torres will be THE Amazing player in an Amazing team. No one means more to that Spanish side than Torres, no one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is no, not yet but he probably will be by the time he retires.

Rush was brilliant for us but look what happened when he went to Italy.

Torres was brilliant for Atletico and now he is even better for us. The rate he is improving is amazing.

You might not be able to say Torres is better than Rush but there is certainly more of an argueement than a lot of people here are putting forward.

For example, we replaced Rush with Aldridge short term and became a better team. Is there anyone in the world we could replace Torres with and improve?

Thats it for me, Torres is easily the best out and out striker in the world today, Was Rush or Hunt the best striker in the world when they were at their best for us?

Guest ShoePiss
Thats it for me, Torres is easily the best out and out striker in the world today, Was Rush or Hunt the best striker in the world when they were at their best for us?

Who was better than Rush in his pomp?

Guest ShoePiss

I can think of Van Basten but I don't think he was the same type of player, anyway at his peak Rush was regarded as one of the best in his position.

Anyone who picks the latest fad is a fucking idiot it is impossible to compare players from different decades

All you can do is try to measure there impact on the club by way of how successful there playing days were in terms of trophies won

I rest my case

Anyone who picks the latest fad is a fucking idiot it is impossible to compare players from different decades

All you can do is try to measure there impact on the club by way of how successful there playing days were in terms of trophies won

I rest my case

Where's the rule book that says that.

I'll bloody measure them anyway I like. It's my opinion after all.

Case dismissed.

I think Rush was the better finisher but as an all round striker I dont think I have seen a better striker play for LFC. I never saw Roger Hunt play so my time was really Keegan and Toshack through to present day.

I dont include keegan or Dalglish in that because they werent CFs IMO.

Hahahaha.

Oh, you're serious .....

In which case, who was that new Glaswegian who kept banging in the goals, playing up front , in a standard 4-4-2, in 1978 (first year I followed the Reds)?

Must have been someone else.

But for me Id probably have Torres in ahead of Rush and Fowler because of his all round game and sacrafice a bit on the finishing

Opinions?

In all seriousness, any discussion on who the greatest striker we've had (and we've had many, and Torres deserves a place in that list) must end with the following.

1983-84 season. Ian Rush. 49 goals (plus one in European Cup final penalty shootout). Liverpool win the League Cup, League Championship and European Cup.

Who will ever top that?

I saw Rush in his pomp and he was easily the best finisher ive seen since my time wathing the reds (never saw Roger Hunt) he had that extra yard of pace to get away from the first defender but teams in those days held a high line and rush used to time his runs brilliantly.

If Rushie was playing with today's offside laws, he would have scored 10+ more a season.

And no striker, even today, managed to pressure a defence when THEY had the ball, more than Rush. At times, they would have to scramble just to get it to their midfield.

Rush was better than Torres. My order:

Rush

Fowler

Torres

Owen

Aldridge

Toshack

I am too young to remember Hunt, and I didn't include the likes of Keegan and Kenny as I went for out and out strikers.

Torres could well get higher in the list, and it is a credit to the lad that he rates so highly in this sort of company after having only been here for five minutes.

PS - the time thing is a factor in this discussion. I don't think there is much between Rush and Torres, but Rush places higher for 346 good reasons.

The highest 'peak' in a Liverpool striker I've seen may well have been Robbie Fowler's first two seasons. If he could have stayed injury free and fit then he could have been sitting in top spot in my list.

All of this is subjective though. I'm glad we've had so many great strikers.

Guest The Chimp

Great post Rev. Robbie is my second favourite player behind the King. What might have been eh? Seriously, looking at this thread though, how blessed have we been with strikers over the years? I'm not even bothering to research this so I know I might be on thin ice, but has there been a team over the past three decades (or more) who have consistently had the pedigree of strikers* that Liverpool have? I know there have been some pretty shite ones as well (Paul Stewart and the hairy French fella to name but two) but on the whole I just can't think of another club even remotely close: Keegan & Toshack, Dalglish & Rush, Aldridge & Beardsley, Fowler & Owen, and now Nando & Gerrard - that's some list there.

* maybe not out and out, but you get my drift.

In his prime Henry was a different breed to any striker of the past twenty or thirty years. He wasn't just a brilliant 30 goal striker, he was also contributing 20 to 30 assists a season. For a striker that is absolutely unreal and Torres is still a few years from reaching that. Henry was the Arsenal team and in his prime, unplayable.

Couldn't agree more. Although it has to be said Real Ronaldo could easily have held this mantle.

I think the amazing number of assists (23) to goals scored (24) in 02/03 is unprecedented (Henry himself never came anywhere near it in any of his years at Arsenal) and it's unfair to be judging Torres by these standards.

Judge Liverpool's Number 9 by how many league titles he has under his belt when he leaves the club.

If you were the manager today and could pick the player on top of his form who would you pick?

Rush. However, torres isn't at his peak yet.

Ive heard many Evertonian mates say Rush ruined there childhood so I think that goes to show how devastating he was in his time here.

On that, a bloo said to me yesterday that she hates seeing me wear my dalglish shirt as it reminds her of when we were winning absolutely everything.