You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres is such a true red

Glen C

Torres: Villa's staying in Spain 23 June 2009 - 4:04 PM | Sport.co.uk

Torres: Villa's staying in Spain

Fernando Torres has told Chelsea and Man United to forget about signing his pal David Villa - because he will definitely stay in Spain. Both Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlo Ancelotti are said to be after £40m-rated striker Villa, who plays for Valencia, but face stiff competition from Spain's big guns.And although Torres admits his Spanish international strike partner is probably too expensive for Liverpool he is adamant he won't end up a rival in the title race next season.

"Listen, I think Villa will play in Spain next year," said Torres, whose partnership with Villa is regarded as the best in international football

"It's his decision but I think Barcelona and Real Madrid are trying to sign him and he will be in Spain.

"I don't think Chelsea's money will tempt him, or United. I think with his abilities and qualities he is better for the Spanish league - he scores over 25 goals every season there.

"I would like him to come to Liverpool of course but I think he is too expensive for us. And I would prefer it if he played in Spain than signed for Chelsea or United! That's what I'll tell him!"

If Torres is right it will be a massive blow for both the Blues and the Red Devils who have being going full out to try and sign the Spanish superstar.

But when it comes to Anfield, Torres says there is nothing to be worried about - because the Reds don't necessarily need another big-name striker.

He said: "To be honest if you have Steven Gerard playing behind the striker there is no player better than him.

"He scores 20 goals a season so we don't need another striker, we just need more players and need to try and keep our best players. That's the key. If we can play together for a lot of years it would be fantastic." Torres knows Liverpool have a fantastic chance to win the title next year, especially after champions United were forced into selling star player Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid. But he also fears Fergie's spending power.

"The fact they no longer have Ronaldo will be an advantage for us but it also gives Man United the chance to buy more players. It's £80m so I'm sure they'll bring in some good players."

I saw his comments regarding Man Utd and Chelsea possibly bidding for him, he said he was happy at Anfield and was on good money, as all players in the top league are, so why would he want to move for a little more money and be unhappy.

This was either the same day or the day after Xabi was commenting on the exchange rate affecting his money by effectively making his contract worth 30% less.

The lads a legend already.

his exactly the type of person you would want in your team... the complete opposite to ronaldo... he tries to stay out of the limelight... loves the team to bits... is very committed and you will never worry about him leaving the team for a rival.... and to top it off his one of the best players in the world...

a legend already in my eyes