You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Latin America thread

Stu Monty

2 minutes ago, moof said:

Where was the fraud? 

Haven't you been following proceedings?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50365340

Bolivia's President Evo Morales has said he will call a new election after international monitors questioned the validity of his victory last month.

The Organization of American States (OAS), which monitored the elections, found "clear manipulation" and called for the result to be annulled.

Reports of election fraud sparked off weeks of anti-government protests.

In its preliminary report on Sunday, the OAS said it had found "clear manipulations" of Bolivia's voting system and it could not verify the result of the 20 October race.

During the audit, it said it found physical records with alterations and forged signatures, and evidence of wide-scale data manipulation.

The international body concluded it was unlikely that Mr Morales had won by the 10% margin required for a victory. It recommended that a new electoral commission be set up before a fresh election could take place.

I mean everyone has bias. But bias shouldn't stop you overlooking the facts.

Which is why I can admit that Morales, who comes from a completely different political tradition, did some very good things in his first two terms, and had he bowed out when he was supposed to instead of going full Chavez, his reign would most likely have been viewed quite fondly across the political spectrum.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You can call it whatever you want. Someone who tried to rig an election was removed from power. The end.

Where is your proof that the election was rigged? The only facts we have at this moment are, he won the election, and has now been deposed by uniformed military generals. The argument is not over whether there are problematic elements to the election or if morales is the ultimate paragon of a virtuous leader - it is that the elected government has been overthrown by military coup 

I don't have proof, I'm not an election monitor. They're the ones who have the proof.

Of course I'm sure you'd be complaining just as forcefully if Boris Johnson was removed from power after being elected due to election fraud, and that this is a principled stance and in no way because Corbyn has come out in support of Morales.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't have proof, I'm not an election monitor. They're the ones who have the proof.

Of course I'm sure you'd be complaining just as forcefully if Boris Johnson was removed from power after being elected due to election fraud, and that this is a principled stance and in no way because Corbyn has come out in support of Morales.

What a shitty and pathetic thing to say. 

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You’re a troll

41 minutes ago, moof said:

Every human has bias, you fucking moron. 

Ooooh watch out, moof is testy.

Here's a thought, maybe don't be snarky to someone on here who actually seems to have knowledge on a situation that hits close to home for them simply because it goes against your political identity.

I don't care to argue with you on most of these topics, but you're immensely boring on a lot of them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Ooooh watch out, moof is testy.

Here's a thought, maybe don't be snarky to someone on here who actually seems to have knowledge on a situation that hits close to home for them simply because it goes against your political identity.

I don't care to argue with you on most of these topics, but you're immensely boring on a lot of them. 

I wasn’t being snarky. You don’t need to be born in Bolivia to see that this is, in fact, a military coup. Anybody can “seem” to have knowledge about anything. What kind of logic is that?