You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Latin America thread

Stu Monty

5 hours ago, Strontium said:

It's taken me a while to realise that I have a major issue with the term "Latin America". Maybe I'm weird, but it's a bit imperialist, isn't it? These are regions that were colonialised and subjugated by the Spanish, Portuguese and to a lesser extent French, usually brutally. 

At the very least I'd like to hear how the indigenous American peoples whose land was stolen and people killed by the Latins feel about their lands being referred to that way.

Go to Canada.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Positive steps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63035426

Cuba Family Code: Country votes to legalise same-sex marriage

Cuba has voted to legalise same-sex marriage in a national referendum.

About two-thirds of the population voted to approve reforms in a new Family Code, which will also allow surrogate pregnancies and give gay couples the right to adopt children.

It marks a big moment for Cuba, which saw gay people persecuted and sent to work camps in the 1960s and 70s.

However, there was significant opposition to the reforms among religious groups and conservatives.

The referendum on Sunday was for a new Family Code - a 100-page document which went through more than two dozen drafts and hours of debate in community-level meetings.

Cuba's government had backed the law change and ran a nationwide campaign urging people to approve it.

Speaking as he voted on Sunday, the country's President, Miguel Díaz-Canel, said he expected most of the population would vote yes and that the new code reflected the diversity of people, families and beliefs.

On Monday, preliminary results indicated an "irreversible trend", with 66% of votes counted so far in favour of the reform, electoral council president Alina Balseiro said on state television, according to AFP news agency. The law required 50% of voters' approval to be adopted.

The reforms were the culmination of efforts by gay rights activists in Cuba.

Official attitudes towards homosexuality on the Communist-run island have changed over the past decades, partly thanks to the efforts of former leader Raúl Castro's daughter Mariela.

In the early part of communist leader Fidel Castro's rule after the 1959 revolution, homosexual men and women were sent to work camps for supposed "re-education".

However, many in Cuba still oppose the step, including evangelical churches and other non-religious conservatives.

Parts of the opposition also campaigned for a "no" vote, urging Cubans to seize a unique opportunity to hand the country's communist government a defeat in the polls.

Some anti-government activists consider the referendum an effort by the state to improve its human rights image following a brutal crackdown on all forms of dissent in recent years.

The referendum also comes during a serious energy crisis, which has led to daily power cuts affecting millions of people across the island.

Neymar has released a video publicly backing Bolsonaro in the upcoming Brazilian election.

Bolsonaro is trailing badly in the polls, apparently. It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the coming days. If anybody watched the Bolsonaro documentary recently on the BBC, he’s historically romanticised the Brazilian military dictatorship and spoke at rallies where he’s proclaimed that he’d be “going nowhere” if he was voted out of power. 

8 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

A certain sportsman's wife digging herself a hole on Twitter. Interesting comment on democracy too. She seems to think that people who take expectation to other people who express support for far-right would-be dictators don't know what democracy means. 

Fuck off back to Brazil Rebecca, and take your husband with you.

7 hours ago, Em City said:

I went to a pub in Dublin tonight and it was full of Brazilians wearing red (in support of Lula) having a big party. Hopefully, the utter shitbag that is Bolsanaro is tossed out.

Where did you go, Em?

Sounds like I need to get there...

Even if he loses that right wing evangelist proto-cunt Bolsonaro says he's going nowhere. Hes going to try and get his boys to storm the Brazilian capital, you can just see it.

Horrible bastard, one of many evil shits that somehow seem to get their crack at power these days. Fuck me humans are stupid!

42 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Where did you go, Em?

Sounds like I need to get there...

Lucky's on Meath Street. There'll probably be another party on 30th October for the run off election...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...