Stu Monty

The Latin America thread

24 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

You'd have voted for Kast.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely, the world needs more leaders to recognise the illegal occupation and atrocities being committed in parts of Palestine and not be scared to speak out against it for fear of being labelled anti-semitic. 

Entirely appropriate responses to someone pointing out anti-Jewish racism. 

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Entirely appropriate responses to someone pointing out anti-Jewish racism. 

Where was the anti-jewish racism? 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Where was the anti-jewish racism? 

The part where his response to getting a gift from a Jewish person was to hold them responsible for what Israel does?

How did you miss that? This isn't hard.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The part where his response to getting a gift from a Jewish person was to hold them responsible for what Israel does?

How did you miss that? This isn't hard.

Oh but questioning Israel's atrocities is an attack on Jews around the world isn't it? 

Are you calling him anti-semitic? 

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely, the world needs more leaders to recognise the illegal occupation and atrocities being committed in parts of Palestine and not be scared to speak out against it for fear of being labelled anti-semitic. 

Yep. Almost half a million Palestinians live in Chile. If you're on the left you can't be supporting far right governments in Israel like many in Europe do.

It's great news for Chile that he won.

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh but questioning Israel's atrocities is an attack on Jews around the world isn't it? 

Are you calling him anti-semitic? 

Fucking hell.

Yes, what he wrote is unambiguously antisemitic. No surprise that you can't see it.

Fucking hell.

Yes, what he wrote is unambiguously antisemitic. No surprise that you can't see it.

I didn't think it was. No surprise to see you instantly call it anti-semitic when he highlights an uncomfortable truth against Israel. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I didn't think it was. No surprise to see you instantly call it anti-semitic when he highlights an uncomfortable truth against Israel. 

There are none so blind as those who won't see.

If a Muslim person gave you a gift, would you think it was acceptable to say "Yeah, this is all well and good, but I'd prefer it if your Saudi lot got out of Yemen"?

36 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yep. Almost half a million Palestinians live in Chile. If you're on the left you can't be supporting far right governments in Israel like many in Europe do.

It's great news for Chile that he won.

Never trust a Croat. 

There are none so blind as those who won't see.

If a Muslim person gave you a gift, would you think it was acceptable to say "Yeah, this is all well and good, but I'd prefer it if your Saudi lot got out of Yemen"?

No, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't call it racist, in the same way he wasn't being anti-semitic. You're on another thread celebrating someone winning a libel case after clearly implying that Corbyn was a nazi after he was assaulted yet she won it based on her claiming it was satirical. A joke about Rachel Riley however tends to be deemed an anti-semitic attack. 

It always seems with you to be anti-semitic when it's 'uncomfortable' and not actual anti-semitism. 

Take your head out of your arse and bin the constant hypocrisy. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

No, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't call it racist, in the same way he wasn't being anti-semitic.

Oh well, at least you are consistently wrong.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Oh well, at least you are consistently wrong.

Nah, that place is reserved for you. 

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Never trust a Croat. 

Chileans of European descent accusing people of stealing land must be some of that famous irony we're always talking about.

An excellent read about Charter Cities in Honduras, their beginnings in the minds of hard right libertarians, and local opposition. 

Linked with some of the people behind Brexit, and the grandsons of the creators of neoliberalism. 

As an aside top tech cunt Musk was in Brazil to meet Bolsonaro. Not great with elections later this year. 

https://restofworld.org/2021/honduran-islanders-push-back-libertarian-startup/

Long read from the NYT about Haiti (Caribbean strictly, not Latin America) tells the story of its slaves overthrowing the French, how the French extracted wealth from its former colony, and its subsequent invasion by the USA, along with the utterly corrupt governments that have blighted its people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/20/world/haiti-history-colonized-france.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEIPuonUktbfqYhkTVUZAybKWsIjolqGjPnTwfk8h2TiKzKEDD1Fy-MTApqN9wLDf6NlbNZ13yieQJUJFo4Tc8FI770VOV1xGU7vq4GYmZ8BLmJlotjoAj5n1NeQAO9htGLkPmT8Iuwlzfjj5U7ZOWO9X_GP1iIxNU0y98seAFKg0HEPx6_HE_ckmYUtmKd8We0pAGsIdyKIvPL3ChlhO93gbh3U7wc-X-AxSiiE1JfHqOpGKFMOfAqAGHBv4m8868deP8cVOcv8Kx0mfsn5idYBGyObGdbQKPznolAqEKVCIKM

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

I posted a mention of "Open Veins of Latin America" over in the book thread, if you're looking for a general history of the subject.

Thanks mate, added to the list! 

Interesting article about the Nixon backed coup against Salvador Allende. Includes his aspirations for a fairer Chile and his inspiring final speech before the Presidential Palace was bombed.

https://democracities.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/11th-september-1973-bombing-la-moneda-and-the-symbolic-destruction-of-democracy-in-chile/

27 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Interesting article about the Nixon backed coup against Salvador Allende. Includes his aspirations for a fairer Chile and his inspiring final speech before the Presidential Palace was bombed.

https://democracities.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/11th-september-1973-bombing-la-moneda-and-the-symbolic-destruction-of-democracy-in-chile/

You might have heard of this about Scottish Rolls Royce workers blocking engines being exported for the Hawker Hunters in Chile.

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/01/on-your-way-pinochet-factory-workers-fought-fascism-from-glasgow-chile-coup-nae-pasaran

The film is called Nae Pasaran. 

Fucking hell

Celaya shooting: Mexican hotel massacre leaves 11 dead and five injured | The Independent

Nearly a dozen people were killed and five injured after a group of armed and hooded gunmen stormed a hotel in the central Mexican city of Celaya on Monday.

Local news station Telemundo 52 said that at least 11 people had been confirmed to have died and at least five people were injured after approximately 15 armed men stormed the Gala hotel and bar and opened fire in Celaya, a city in the Mexican state of Guanajuato.

Authorities say the massacre started at about 10pm local time and more than 50 rounds were fired at the group of hotel guests and employees standing in and around the hotel and bar.

It's taken me a while to realise that I have a major issue with the term "Latin America". Maybe I'm weird, but it's a bit imperialist, isn't it? These are regions that were colonialised and subjugated by the Spanish, Portuguese and to a lesser extent French, usually brutally. 

At the very least I'd like to hear how the indigenous American peoples whose land was stolen and people killed by the Latins feel about their lands being referred to that way.