You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MICHAEL OWEN BROCHURE

Guest simon

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not a legend. The term 'legend' is bandied about far too much and Owen is nowhere near. Did a great job for us but not a legend.

The phrase “such and such is bandied about far too much” is bandied about far too much.

He’s 8th on the all-time scoring list for one of the world’s greatest ever clubs. He helped win us an FA Cup final now known simply by his name. He scored the clinching goal in a League Cup final for us. He assisted two and played his part in us winning the UEFA Cup final. He was a crucial part of a squad winning 3 proper pots in one year and 4 in total, plus a super cup. In the modern era, we’re not so spoilt that’s anything like the norm.

Whether you want to debate use of the term club legend or not - and I don’t because I find such debates painfully tedious - he’s written his name into the fabric of the club with those achievements, asterisk next to how his place is classified or not. However, as a man he’s a grasping, boring tit. That’s the point. 

6 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

The phrase “such and such is bandied about far too much” is bandied about far too much.

He’s 8th on the all-time scoring list for one of the world’s greatest ever clubs. He helped win us an FA Cup final now known simply by his name. He scored the clinching goal in a League Cup final for us. He assisted two and played his part in us winning the UEFA Cup final. He was a crucial part of a squad winning 3 proper pots in one year and 4 in total, plus a super cup. In the modern era, we’re not so spoilt that’s anything like the norm.

Whether you want to debate use of the term club legend or not - and I don’t because I find such debates painfully tedious - he’s written his name into the fabric of the club with those achievements, asterisk next to how his place is classified or not. However, as a man he’s a grasping, boring tit. That’s the point. 

Legend is overused and reserved for players who put their heart and soul into a club or clubs and Owen only did that for a brief time and jumped ship as soon as he could. Did a job very well for us but had no loyalty and did fuck all else after he left us.

• Upvote 1

I like Michael Owen.

He made some shit decisions in his career, but ended up having a very good one and always seems to speak highly of the club.

Joining the mancs was a great move for him and for them, and anyone resenting him for that needs to get a life.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don’t resent him for the move to United - it was his attitude and statements upon signing for them.

he pissed us around claiming he was happy to sign only to not at which point we could only get 8m + Nunez. 

He chose Newcastle over us instead of  digging his heels in. He then went to united and seemingly is confused why he isn’t adored?

I loved his time with us and he was integral in putting back into a successful platform but it’s easy to see why he isn’t liked too much.

• Upvote 4

Off-topic, Owen must be one of the most strange, irregular Balon d'Or winners ever. Maybe time has dimmed my memory of him (it is over 20 years(!) since he made his debut) but he was a striker with electric pace who usually scored in bunches (bit like a young Rooney in that regard), who never could be relied upon to convert a penalty, who took weeks if not months to come back to a decent level of play following one of his many hamstring injuries. Was he also creative? I don't think so, but maybe? Was he good at pressing from the front?

Taking the Balon d'Or was a pretty odd one - and he won it easily in the voting all in all.

He was better for a few seasons before the season he actually won it.  He was unreal for a number of years though and was definitely worth a shout for the best player in Europe at the time.  He relied on his pace but he was an exceptional goal scorer.  Football was vastly different to how it is now.  It could be a very individual game then so it’s completely pointless to compare how his game would work now.  He wouldn’t get in the team but then his game might have been completely different growing up and playing in a different era.

The Balon d’or is a shit award that never really ends up being won by the person that deserves it.  It’s why I think Van Dijk won’t win it this year.

I remember him being better in the seasons before he won it too.

Think he benefited largely due to the fact he was the star player, certainly from the media's point of view, for a team that had just won 5 trophies, including a European one. Think that season was his most prolific at international level too.

I also seem to remember him starting the following season quite well, though not sure when voting took place.

I think he is a bad bore, and cant particularly warm to him with the Man U and Madrid thing.

Ultimately he ended up being one one of the most talented 16-18 year olds in football, who was a a good, if not exceptional striker throughout the rest of his career. In same way as Fowler, could have been so much more but for injuries.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

This new book of his, he’s allowed the forward to be written by Taggart, who uses it to re-cover the ground of how we didn’t handle him as he would have as a youth.

Says it all about Owen really.

I know and yet he still has the nerves to come out saying he expects to be loved by Liverpool fans. 

• Upvote 1

It was those snides from Ferguson and Owen, far from correcting it, coming out with the I wish I’d signed for him earlier shit that did him for me, way more than just signing for United.

Help yourself in coming the cunt and enabling one who puts the boot in on us at every opportunity. Just don’t expect Liverpool fans to view you with anything above indifference, if not disdain.

• 8 months later...

They talked about that in the episode. He said how he was on the phone to Carragher asking him to speak to Liverpool, which he did, but we werent interested. 

I guess he had a choice of going to Hull too, but in listening to him and Carra, its clear he actually loves the club more than you would expect and that he tried to get back here at every chance.