You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MICHAEL OWEN BROCHURE

Guest simon

19 minutes ago, dave u said:

The best bit about that was when the guy made some reference to the fucking mansion he was in being a result of playing for Liverpool, Madrid and United and Owen just said "no that was Newcastle." Funny as fuck.

I laughed at that as well. Honest enough. Fuck sake wish we’d kept him 

11 hours ago, El Rojo said:

We absolutely ran him into the ground. 

The way we used Bajectic last season suggests that we might not have fully learned our lesson there. 

Didn’t Bajectic played 19 games last season. Not sure how many minutes but he surely didn’t complete half of those matches. Not quite Owen-esque yet. 

11 hours ago, El Rojo said:

We absolutely ran him into the ground. 

The way we used Bajectic last season suggests that we might not have fully learned our lesson there. 

I've never really bought in to that argument.

You could argue that somebody like James Milner was absolutely ran in to the ground but he's still going 20 years later.

Some sports stars just aren't physically cut out to last. I actually think with Owen if we'd used him sparingly, we'd have missed his best years.

Another thing that people never really think about is that in many ways he left us at the right time because he was never going to be suited to the way that Rafa Benitez wanted to play. 

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

You could argue that somebody like James Milner was absolutely ran in to the ground but he's still going 20 years later.

Some sports stars just aren't physically cut out to last. I actually think with Owen if we'd used him sparingly, we'd have missed his best years.

Another thing that people never really think about is that in many ways he left us at the right time because he was never going to be suited to the way that Rafa Benitez wanted to play. 

I used to think it was a bad idea playing youngsters too much too soon but from what I've read the evidence doesn't back it up. Some players have their peak in early on and some later. We definitely got the very best out of Owen and like you say, if we hadn't have played him that much we would probably have missed out. 

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Don't think it was too many games with Owen but rushing him back to often. And probably damaging his physical development. 

Yip He had a hamstring injury and I think they rushed him back too soon with the result that he never fully recovered and lost that speed he had.

10 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think it's important to realise how much criticism,some of it justified,Milner took during the earlier part of his career. His versatility, consistency and longevity took most of his career to be appreciated. He also found a way to compensate for his later lack of pace (I seem to recall him being a quick wide midfielder or even defender at first?) A lot like great players of the past like Barnes did. Milner matured while Owen soured.

I loved Owen - was such a good time

when he came through - he was so exciting - aggressive, quick, beat a man, finishing. Proper footballer

I never really hated him for going to United either. We had declined to take him back when he made it clear it’s what he wanted, so what’s he meant to do?

He’s bang on about Stevie here too…