You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MICHAEL OWEN BROCHURE

Guest simon

Its not the fact he left us it was the way he done it, If Michael would have came back from portugal and said Liverpool can not match my ambitions I wouls like to go abroad a lot of fans me included would have said thanks Michael good luck.

A big deal like that is not done overnight it must have been getting discussed over a period of weeks, Michael kept on saying liverpool is for me, Kids were going out buying owen tops! then in the week of the start of the season he leaves.

John barnes when he signed in the 80's stated if a top italian club came in for him he would go! That was honesty! thats all michale had to say!

Exactly, less than a week before signing for Madrid he said about the Liverpool contract "I'll sign it within a few days".

For someone who always seemed so sharp in the head, and with a close family around him, he's made seome truly spectacular fuck ups in his time. This is almost Gordon Brown-esque.

Absolutely - defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. If he'd any sort of bottle he'd have stayed and fought for his place at Madrid - his record was pretty good and he was on the verge of winning people over. Say what you like about goldenballs but he fought his way back into the Madrid team whenever he looked to be out of favour. So much for the 'global' value - word was Owen and his little missus couldn't adapt to life in Madrid. His decision-making is really piss-poor.

How low can a man fall...If (a big one yes) he never moved to RM he'd probably still be in the same class as Torres, Villa, Drogba but the fact is he's not. Rather than him I'd have a good young talented striker (even if he's not English). I really don't know why did he leave back then, beacuse very few Englishmen succeded abroad. He made a mistake of his life, and he knows it!

Absolutely - defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. If he'd any sort of bottle he'd have stayed and fought for his place at Madrid - his record was pretty good and he was on the verge of winning people over. Say what you like about goldenballs but he fought his way back into the Madrid team whenever he looked to be out of favour. So much for the 'global' value - word was Owen and his little missus couldn't adapt to life in Madrid. His decision-making is really piss-poor.[/quote

Oh do me a favour- who picks the team at real, the coach?Not a fuckin chance it's the president.He could have scored every time he played and he was only ever going to be playing from the bench.

Carragher says in his book that the Owen family all wanted to come back to England and he'd had talks with Liverpool but Newcastle put in a stupid bid which we were never going to match, Now a lot of folk out there are saying he should have played hard ball and state he was only moving to Liverpool but what if Madrid said Fuck you then it's Newcastle or the bench? Until you've been in a position where your family are depserate to go back "home" you can't be critical of that decision.

Absolutely - defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. If he'd any sort of bottle he'd have stayed and fought for his place at Madrid - his record was pretty good and he was on the verge of winning people over. Say what you like about goldenballs but he fought his way back into the Madrid team whenever he looked to be out of favour. So much for the 'global' value - word was Owen and his little missus couldn't adapt to life in Madrid. His decision-making is really piss-poor.[/quote

Oh do me a favour- who picks the team at real, the coach?Not a fuckin chance it's the president.He could have scored every time he played and he was only ever going to be playing from the bench.

Carragher says in his book that the Owen family all wanted to come back to England and he'd had talks with Liverpool but Newcastle put in a stupid bid which we were never going to match, Now a lot of folk out there are saying he should have played hard ball and state he was only moving to Liverpool but what if Madrid said Fuck you then it's Newcastle or the bench? Until you've been in a position where your family are depserate to go back "home" you can't be critical of that decision.

Where did you get that from ? - they signed wonderboys Robinho and Julio Baptista and little mikey decided he might not get enough playing time to keep his beloved ingerlund place is far closer to the truth. Perez of course was the person who signed Owen. And of course Robinho and Julio Baptista turned into the madrid legends we know them to be today.

And I have been in a position where my family were desperate to go back home - but they stuck it out and adapted.

has he not thought that every top manager already knows all about him, i could understand this about some unknown player who felt he could interest these clubs but everyone knows Michael Owen

and i just wish he would admit he regrets going to Newcastle!

Hull City are reportedly interested.

Theses rumours have been doing the rounds this side o't' Pennines all week. His helicopter has landed twice at Hymers college apparently. Even with a 50% wage cut he'd be their highest paid player! 2 relegations would be a sad way to end his career.

Where did you get that from ? - they signed wonderboys Robinho and Julio Baptista and little mikey decided he might not get enough playing time to keep his beloved ingerlund place is far closer to the truth. Perez of course was the person who signed Owen. And of course Robinho and Julio Baptista turned into the madrid legends we know them to be today.

And I have been in a position where my family were desperate to go back home - but they stuck it out and adapted.

There's quite a bit in Carra's book about it which sheds a fair bit of light.It was nothing to do with Robinho and Baptista that's for sure. Coincidently Capello was the manager then. As for the family part I've been through it twice, the first time when I moved to SA and the second time when I took the family back to the UK. The second time was just too stressful for all so I can empathise with MO. The brochure though is embarrassing.

I'm with Spy Bee on this.

The lad has made (or had made for him) some very bad decisions, and of course has suffered injuries to go with those bad decisions.

I'd still have him back, if the stories about Carra and Gerrard wanting to see him return are true, he must be worth a punt on a pay as you play/score basis.

Fit he's still class.

This is the thing with Michael, and why I really can't understand the anger. Yes he fucked us over, but look what has happened to him.

Leaving us for Real Madrid seemed like a really good fucking idea at the time, we where playing as if we had shit on our shoes, Gerrard was changing his mind more than women on whether he wanted to go or not and even though we had a new manager. You don't say no to Real Madrid, especially when the team you play for only scraped into the CL the season previous. The simple fact is, we came off better than Owen, he knows it, we know it and the whole footballing world knows it. I don't feel it's right to mock him because he's still an extraordinary talent and despite what that brochure may say about Owen, he's a model professional and an excellent role model, he doesn't deserve to be treated with such disdain from our fans.

Maybe it's because he is my 'definitive' footballing hero as a child, his FA Cup Final was my first FA Cup Final, I was at his first game when he scored on his debut, I also remember very well him scoring v Argentina.

As I said, he still has the talent, the ability and the brain to play at the highest level, not week in week out, but enough to satisfy our needs. I hope we are in for him, if he says yes, great. If he doesn't, so what we will always be better off without Michael Owen, and we will also be better off with him.

It's a win-win situation for me. Michael Owen on a free? I'd carry the prick here naked and sing Will Young songs to him whilst I do it.

Is right. But light on the Will Young songs, eh?

Its not the fact he left us it was the way he done it, If Michael would have came back from portugal and said Liverpool can not match my ambitions I wouls like to go abroad a lot of fans me included would have said thanks Michael good luck.

A big deal like that is not done overnight it must have been getting discussed over a period of weeks, Michael kept on saying liverpool is for me, Kids were going out buying owen tops! then in the week of the start of the season he leaves.

John barnes when he signed in the 80's stated if a top italian club came in for him he would go! That was honesty! thats all michale had to say!

I don't agree there, all that closed season, Madrid had been pushing for Vieira to join them from Arsenal, and he hadn;t said no about leaving the Gooners. Until about 3 weeks before the start of the season, when he signed up on an improved deal with the Gooners, leaving the Madrid President looking for a big money signing. It was relatively late on, just before we played in the CL qualifiers, that news about Owen/Madrid broke and within weeks he was gone.

We'll never get to the bottom of these things, as mere supporters, but I believe Owen was Madrid's second choice after Vieira.

I'll stand corrected however.