You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arbeloa Vs Johnson: A step up?

WhiskeyJar

Arbeloa Vs Johnson: A step up?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Arbeloa Vs Johnson: A step up?

• Johnson is a better player.
    • Keep Arbeloa, Johnson is not needed.
    • Undecided.

Amid rumours that we are one of the leading clubs seeking after Johnson signature and Bobs alleged departure to Madrid, should the swap happen, do our fans beleive that this is a step up or down?

I have to admit that Bob has had one of the best season at Liverpool and was probably part of that great spine that everyone goes on about.

However I do like Johnson even if he has to improve defensively somewhat.

Overall I hate to see Bob go, but I would like to see Johnson in a Liverpool shirt.

Another alternative would be to keep them both but I dont think that is a viable option since we have Darby coming through ranks and he deserves his chance as well.

I'm a big fan of Arbeloa and can only see him getting better and better over the next couple of years. Johnson has had a very good season but I still have doubts about him defensively and with his character.

Overall a step up but principally because he's English and will help with the CL quota.

Rarely see Johnson playing, Bob is OK, not too good going forward but he has built up a nice understanding with Kuyt on the right and isn't too shabby defensively.Wouldn't be shattered if Bob left though, and would not know what to expect from Johnson(keep reading that he's crap defensively) if we signed him so I'm undecided on this one.

I'm a big fan of Arbeloa and can only see him getting better and better over the next couple of years. Johnson has had a very good season but I still have doubts about him defensively and with his character.

Overall a step up but principally because he's English and will help with the CL quota.

If it was just to fill the quota then I would like Rafa to sign a youngster with talent and a good reputation rather than spend 10-15 million in a position where we are pretty much covered.

I think Bob has imrpoved attacking wise over the course of last season and might imrpove if given another season.

If it was just to fill the quota then I would like Rafa to sign a youngster with talent and a good reputation rather than spend 10-15 million in a position where we are pretty much covered.

I think Bob has imrpoved attacking wise over the course of last season and might imrpove if given another season.

I think the fact Johnson is English would edge him above Bob for me, only just mind. That does not by any stretch of the imagination think we should spunk that kind of money on him though. I'll be more than happy to keep Bob and spend that money else where.

I think the fact Johnson is English would edge him above Bob for me, only just mind. That does not by any stretch of the imagination think we should spunk that kind of money on him though. I'll be more than happy to keep Bob and spend that money else where.

Is true.

Like others have said, its in an inflated price, but your paying a little over the odds for the first choice England right back.

Given the choice I think most Liverpool fans would prefer signing Johnson as he is considered to be the better "attacking" player of the two, even it is at the expense of Bob.

I guess I will just put myself in the Undecided section then.

Why is everyone assuming Glen Johnson is going to turn into Dani Alves if we sign him. This year he played in a crap team who people don't park the bus against and he managed 3 assists. What you are getting with him is exactly what we got with Pennant. Crappy floated crosses into a penalty box with 15 people in it. Difference being Johnson can't beat a man and while his defending isn't as bad as some make out, he has bramble type brain farts on occasion that cost you.

15 million. NO CHANCE.

Replacement for Degen but not Bob.

Capello was talking about england the other day and he complained about the fact they had no right backs. What does that tell you? Johnson is there under sufferance.

Why is everyone assuming Glen Johnson is going to turn into Dani Alves if we sign him. This year he played in a crap team who people don't park the bus against and he managed 3 assists. What you are getting with him is exactly what we got with Pennant. Crappy floated crosses into a penalty box with 15 people in it. Difference being Johnson can't beat a man and while his defending isn't as bad as some make out, he has bramble type brain farts on occasion that cost you.

15 million. NO CHANCE.

Replacement for Degen but not Bob.

Capello was talking about england the other day and he complained about the fact they had no right backs. What does that tell you? Johnson is there under sufferance.

With our fans, I think its more of an issue comparing the attacking traits of both players and then come up with a conclusion of who can aid more in attacking situations.

At first I had my doubts about Bob but I have to admit, he has imrpoved and his understanding with Kuyt has also improved. Trouble is, you look at Johnson as the finished article. He is far from that. I am not saying he will turn into the next Alves but under Rafa he might imrpove but then again he might not.

Is he better attacking wise than Bob? Perhaps but Bob has settled, is experienced, knows our style play and is passionate about playing for us.

With our fans, I think its more of an issue comparing the attacking traits of both players and then come up with a conclusion of who can aid more in attacking situations.

At first I had my doubts about Bob but I have to admit, he has imrpoved and his understanding with Kuyt has also improved. Trouble is, you look at Johnson as the finished article. He is far from that. I am not saying he will turn into the next Alves but under Rafa he might imrpove but then again he might not.

Is he better attacking wise than Bob? Perhaps but Bob has settled, is experienced, knows our style play and is passionate about playing for us.

It'd be great to have him as an option, but 15m is way off base for an option.

It is a squad game and johnson is capable of playing rb and the kuyt position. It may stop kuyt from burning out as even though he never gives up he still hit a bad patch this season

Benitez is not going to play a full back as an inside forward. It won't happen. If we need to swap someone for Kuyt let's use a forward like Benni or Sneidjer or Lavezzi etc.

I haven't seen enough of Johnson defensively to know if he'd be an improvement if Albert was sold, but he'd deffo be a good player to have in addition to Arbeloa.

It was another option I wanted to put in the poll but I dont think we can finacially sustain both players with their wages AND improve other attacking areas of the squad (eg striker and winger).

We have to sell to buy, if however we did keep Bob and bought Johnson, our overall squad quality imrpoves.

Another notion is that Johnson can be used as a winger but again thats debatable.

I can see Rafa going in that direction though: Competition for first choice right back and back up for the right wing. Possible.

It was another option I wanted to put in the poll but I dont think we can finacially sustain both players with their wages AND improve other attacking areas of the squad (eg striker and winger).

We have to sell to buy, if however we did keep Bob and bought Johnson, our overall squad quality imrpoves.

Another notion is that Johnson can be used as a winger but again thats debatable.

I can see Rafa going in that direction though: Competition for first choice right back and back up for the right wing. Possible.

This is the key, if Johnson is going to come here then Arbeloa will certainly have to leave.

Benitez will definitely do that. See Dossenna last season.

For a start Dossena spent most of his time at Udinese playing as a midfielder in a 343 hence why he had problems playing "20 meters further back" and also I don't how chucking a defender on for a few minutes at the end of a game that's over, is any justification for paying that much for that type of FB. He would never be a starting option as a forward. NEVER. Yossi would start before him, as would Babel, as would Gerrard etc.

ye 15mil is probably over the odds,but if we want to compete at the top we are going to have to start acting like the big boys and that sadly means paying over the odds.otherwise we will get left behind thats a fact,look at the alves deal we wouldn't pay the extra few million and missed out on the player,then barca pay over 20mil for him which i think is over the top for a rb who is better going forward than defending and picks up his fair share of yellow cards.we also missed out on a young c.ronaldo because we wouldn't pay the extra few mil.

ye 15mil is probably over the odds,but if we want to compete at the top we are going to have to start acting like the big boys and that means paying over the odds.otherwise we will get left behind thats a fact,look at the alves deal we wouldn't pay the extra few million and missed out on the player,then barca pay over 20mil for him which i think is over the top for a rb who is better going forward than defending and picks up his fair share of yellow cards.we also missed out on a young c.ronaldo because we wouldn't pay the extra few mil.

Pay over the odds for match-winners by all means. But for a full back that is only marginally better if at all than what we have. And that much over the odds. Nah.

This is the key, if Johnson is going to come here then Arbeloa will certainly have to leave.

What about buying Jonhson as a hybrid winger/full-back? That way we dont have to buy a winger and Johnson can be used for RB as well.

Trouble is I dont think he is that good going forward from the winger position.

Pay over the odds for match-winners by all means. But for a full back that is only marginally better if at all than what we have. And that much over the odds. Nah.
he's english and sadly that means xmillions on the price and with this quota coming up that will inflate the price even more.plus it seems that arbeloa could be on his way this summer,there were a few whispers during the season that he could be off.