You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Achterberg new goalie coach

Guest RafaIsRafa

Guest RafaIsRafa

EveryBallsAWhiteBall.com - Legend Achterberg joins Liverpool - Tranmere Rovers

Tranmere legend John Achterberg has today left Rovers and become goalkeeper coach at Liverpool. Achterberg, who played seven games in League One last season, joined Rovers back in 1998 and enjoyed a testimonial at Prenton Park last season.

He will now work alongside former Wrexham goalkeeper Xabi Valero at Anfield who is already on the coaching staff. Valero will step up and coach first team goalkeepers in the wake of Joe Corrigan's retirement, Achterberg will coach reserve and academy goalkeepers.

The Dutchman has become a huge crowd favourite during his time at Tranmere and no fan would begrudge him the opportunity to go and work at a club of Liverpool's size. A veteran of more than 300 appearances, today's news does now seem to confirm his playing career has come to an end.

John, who holds a range of UEFA and FA coaching badges, had not been offered the chance to prolong his playing career at Prenton Park and had been offered only a part-time coaching role with the clubs' goalkeepers.

He follows former Tranmere coach John McMahon to Anfield who was named reserve team coach yesterday.

EveryBallsAWhiteBall.com - Legend Achterberg joins Liverpool - Tranmere Rovers

Tranmere legend John Achterberg has today left Rovers and become goalkeeper coach at Liverpool. Achterberg, who played seven games in League One last season, joined Rovers back in 1998 and enjoyed a testimonial at Prenton Park last season.

He will now work alongside former Wrexham goalkeeper Xabi Valero at Anfield who is already on the coaching staff. Valero will step up and coach first team goalkeepers in the wake of Joe Corrigan's retirement, Achterberg will coach reserve and academy goalkeepers.

The Dutchman has become a huge crowd favourite during his time at Tranmere and no fan would begrudge him the opportunity to go and work at a club of Liverpool's size. A veteran of more than 300 appearances, today's news does now seem to confirm his playing career has come to an end.

John, who holds a range of UEFA and FA coaching badges, had not been offered the chance to prolong his playing career at Prenton Park and had been offered only a part-time coaching role with the clubs' goalkeepers.

He follows former Tranmere coach John McMahon to Anfield who was named reserve team coach yesterday.

That bit is confusing! Corrighan left us to mess up Carson's career at WBA a while back! I thought Valero was the only GK coach at Liverpool?!

That bit is confusing! Corrighan left us to mess up Carson's career at WBA a while back! I thought Valero was the only GK coach at Liverpool?!

Valero is, and has been since that Ocho..... guy left, the first team coach. There was an academy coach that was laid off last week. I guess this is his replacement.

Valero is, and has been since that Ocho..... guy left, the first team coach. There was an academy coach that was laid off last week. I guess this is his replacement.

Nah, that can't be right.....unless his name is actually Juan Achterbergio.:whistle:

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Superb appointment this

When he was at Tranmere he used to come in on his days off and coach the kids for free, has been doing it for years

My mate's a keeper and went on one of Achterberg's coaching courses. He said he's a top fella and a good coach, even if he does sound like a fella from one of those Grolsch adverts from a few years ago.

I can imagine him turning up at the Academy and commenting on a young lad's performance between the sticks:

"Shhhhtop, this keeper is not ready yet..."

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
A guy I used to live with was a Tranmere Rovers fan and he loved Achterberg.

Indeed

He's a bit of a legend there, they used to chant "Achto" during games and wouldn't stop until he give them a wave.

Heard a lot of great things about Achterberg's professionalism & love of the game so happy with this appointment.

This Tranmere love in is worrying me though , as I am now fully expecting Les Parry to be bringing his hot pants to the Anfield dug-out.

He'd brighten up the match programme though.

I've met him on a couple of occasions; one when I was collecting a 'Player of the Year' award for a team I used to play for. As we were having our photo taken a fellow team mate shouts out from the audience: "John, is it true you've got a massive schlong?".

He`s a cunt!

I have tried to resign him as GK coach for Tranmere on FM for ages now. But he still wants to be a player as well, even though he`s too old and rubbish now. Please John just accept the offer goddammit.

• 12 years later...
24 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Taffarel joining him on coaching team

Just seen this, Allison must have had some part to play in that. Quite an appointment. I've also heard that FSG are buying a NHL team.