You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, can we not just ban Rashid and get back to discussing football? He's posting about 1000 times a month. That's just spam. We could just get someone to build autoposting software, because we all know what he's going to post in every thread anyway.

I`d rather read 1000 posts from anyone even Momo instead of one single post from people bitching about other people`s post and calling for bans.

Its fuckin annoying, so please stop it, yes I also see the irony in my own post, but I`m certainly not calling for any bans.

I guess the role of the academy has a number of functions. Bringing lads through to the ressies, first team etc paramount but also bringing lads through to a higher standard of overall person education wise and being a focal point of the community.

I imagine the % of lads who suceed at even becoming an average pro is miniscule to the amount of lads going through the system. I wonder what the drop off is for kids not making it in the game and leaving football after the academy.

What happens to kids once they get let go by the club, are they ousted or does the club try to help them in any way with say trying to get into college etc. From my own personal experience I was just told to leave and that was that.

It probably took me about 2-3 years to get over that and by that time I'd fallen out of the game and then decided to go back to college, I know there are schemes now where there is the option for kids to go to centres and try our for other sports for the olympics but I wonder what LFC do for kids who they let go who have been in their system for a number of years.

As for the coaching of the kids through the system well I guess if reform is needed then so be it, you can only give the new incumbants tme to see what happens.

I don't see what you can really look for as a kid at liverpool at the mo, the number of pro's at the club is a bloody joke (60-70) so unless your the next gerrard, owen etc I don't see how you can get the chances at a decent level to develop your game.

The thing for me is i see Rafa trying to set up a system that will not only benefit him because it will hopefully produce some quality youngsters coming through the team but it will benefit the club as well due to the money saved.

We have some very talented kids coming through in Dalla Valle, Ince, Amoo, Pepper etc and hopefully under the new setup they will kick on with their progression into becoming a Liverpool regular first teamer.

We have had nothing since Gerrard came through 10 years ago which to me suggest something is not right with the Academy which is something the current manager now finally as the chance to put right.

I dont care if the people Rafa is appointing are not high profile names i want the right candidate for the position not the most glamorous.

People can turn around and say Rafa should not have so much power but what is is purely setting up can see us for years much past Rafa's tenure at the club and if successful then there would be no reason as to why any new manager would not implement the same ideas.

Do we stay as we are now where the whole club is split via politics like it has been for the last few years or do we actually all try and pull in the same direction and all for the better for Liverpool FC.

Exactly. I think it's a case of Rafa laying down a framework where each person has a clearly defined role, with better communication throughout the hierarchy. For the players, there is a clearer goal to work towards, and better methods in place to enable them to do so.

As with all developments of this nature, it takes time. It could be 4-5 years before the real fruits of the labour are harvested. Rafa is setting it so the club can better benefit long-term. If that's done with him having greater control, then so be it.

Coop you only show up to bang Rafa's drum mate.

Well it is more productive and less repetitive to what you bleat on about.

I am also happy with the way things are moving forward in terms of our youth development.

You obviously have very little knowledge on not just skills development but people development, because if you dd you would see the foundations that are looking to be implemented are the right way to go.

Our youth set up has been shite to a certain extent for years, how about you let the manager and his staff get on with the job in hand.

Also you have mentioned his 'remit' and that you would rather he stick to it, what exactly do you know about his remit, have you been there in boardroom discussions?

Just take a step back and as coop says, look at the bigger picture.

Actually I'd rather he kept to his remit.

Well, he signed a new contract recently.

Have you seen the contract? This will detail his responsibilities; his "remit" as you put it.

If so can you tell us exactly what he is doing that is not within his remit.

If you read that Barca article properly instead of just looking for sticks to beat Rafa with, you would have seen that the man who introduced Barcas current system was none other than Louis van Gaal, who was.........MANAGER!

It was 11 years ago as well which is probably a realistic time frame for our new direction as well, so you can put the knives back in the drawer in this regard the next few years.

What hurts me the most is what could've happened if Rafa had been given this control from the start, what state the Academy would be in now? He'd still be up to date with youth team work in comparison to now as well. Since we have no youngsters as first team regulars the possible result couldn't be much worse. As for the stand suggestion, I'm surprised G&H haven't fallen over themselves to set that one up. Charging die hard fans to watch Ressie and Adcademy football with hotdog and popcorn sellers on all four corners would make even more money for their sweaty mitts!

This thing is nothing to do with Rafa Benitez.

If we had King Kenny incharge, or Bob Paisley reincarnate I'd not want any manager having control of every aspect of the club. Firstly it distracts them from their job, secondly if they leave then a new man will come in expecting the same control and obviously to change "Rafa's men".

We are LFC not Rafa FC or any manager FC.

Can someone clarify something for me?

When was the last time Kenny had anything to do with working with young players be it at Liverpool, Blackburn, Newcastle or Celtic?

Heard somewhere that Digger is very good with youth players, get him in Rafa.

We're Liverpool not Barcelona. We've always been about our manager more than any other club. That is our style.

Wise words.

I thought McParland's comments were very interesting - especially the point he made about getting back to passing and moving. If there's going to be an increased emphasis on the technique of the boys paired with a greater focus on sport science and medicine, then I can only see good things coming out of these changes in the medium to long term. I also agree that the physical separation of the academy (capitals ditched in honour of the newly unified nature of the football side of the club) and the first team squad is crazy. I don't see that being rectified any time soon, however.

Edited by Paul

I actually agree that the manager shouldn't have absolute power over the academy or the final say in who runs it. Rashid has already lined up the reasons early on in the thread.

I believe the academy should be run for the long term with a certain vision and stated aims and values.

It's not that I don't trust Rafa to give good input which should only be encouraged, but I think that should be it.

The situation before with divisions in the camp from top to bottom wasn't ideal as some of us have been pointing out for several seasons. Something needed to be done, but giving the first team manager control over hiring and firing isn't the right thing in my opinion. There, go on and shoot me down.

What hurts me the most is what could've happened if Rafa had been given this control from the start, what state the Academy would be in now? He'd still be up to date with youth team work in comparison to now as well. Since we have no youngsters as first team regulars the possible result couldn't be much worse. As for the stand suggestion, I'm surprised G&H haven't fallen over themselves to set that one up. Charging die hard fans to watch Ressie and Adcademy football with hotdog and popcorn sellers on all four corners would make even more money for their sweaty mitts!

He had a mini academy at Melwood, where are the graduate? He has signed about 100 youth players?

seems to be an acknowledged fact that the academy has been rubbish..........

granted no players have come through to the first team but there are plenty in the lower leagues even in the prem - not sure how much those boys have brought in in transfers though

similarly we've won two youth cups and made the final(granted we got spanked)

so although the academy hasn't been good enough it hasn't been the complete disaster most seem to think

If rafa's input is to be zonal marking and 4231, then the players coming through will be groomed to fit that system can't be a bad thing unless he leaves of course.....

If we're looking at making the academy more a part of LFC, wouldn't it be better to leave Melwood and have everyone based at Kirkby?

That maybe should have been thought about at the time it was built as I doubt it's big enough, but it doesn't make much sense having two seperate bases if we want integration.

I actually agree that the manager shouldn't have absolute power over the academy or the final say in who runs it. Rashid has already lined up the reasons early on in the thread.

I believe the academy should be run for the long term with a certain vision and stated aims and values.

It's not that I don't trust Rafa to give good input which should only be encouraged, but I think that should be it.

The situation before with divisions in the camp from top to bottom wasn't ideal as some of us have been pointing out for several seasons. Something needed to be done, but giving the first team manager control over hiring and firing isn't the right thing in my opinion. There, go on and shoot me down.

No-one's going to disagree with that, Pete, but why can't Rafa be the one to set it up for the long term? Do we even know if he's doing all the recruiting, or has he got in McParland and Segundo (Is it Segundo? Something like that.) who will do the subsequent hiring and running of the place? Things seem to be being done with stated aims and values for the future.

If we're looking at making the academy more a part of LFC, wouldn't it be better to leave Melwood and have everyone based at Kirkby?

That maybe should have been thought about at the time it was built as I doubt it's big enough, but it doesn't make much sense having two seperate bases if we want integration.

I made this same point a few pages back.

He had a mini academy at Melwood, where are the graduate? He has signed about 100 youth players?

Ask yourself why he had the mini academy in the first place!

Was this mini academy something he set up from the time he walked through the door? No, it was the result of things beyond his control. Whether the mini academy thing was the right way to deal with it I have to say no. Although a point was made the only people to suffer where those players on both sides of the camp and the club itself. Lets just be thankful that the situation was sorted out fairly quickly.

No-one's going to disagree with that, Pete, but why can't Rafa be the one to set it up for the long term? Do we even know if he's doing all the recruiting, or has he got in McParland and Segundo (Is it Segundo? Something like that.) who will do the subsequent hiring and running of the place? Things seem to be being done with stated aims and values for the future.

But McParland was a Rafa appointment and that niggles, I don't believe the manager of a football club should have that type of remit. Obviously it was written into his contract but I cannot agree with that at all.

He job is with the first team, his own mini academy at Melwood has proved that just by "overlooking" things doesn't mean it is a success. LFC has brought through some world class players in the past 20 years - McManaman, Owen, Fowler and Gerrard at their peak are every bit as good as Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol.

The biggest issue we have is that the manager and the academy don't work in harmony, having the manager select his own man will help that process but isn't and should never be the long term solution at a club the size of ours.

Ask yourself why he had the mini academy in the first place!

Was this mini academy something he set up from the time he walked through the door? No, it was the result of things beyond his control. Whether the mini academy thing was the right way to deal with it I have to say no. Although a point was made the only people to suffer where those players on both sides of the camp and the club itself. Lets just be thankful that the situation was sorted out fairly quickly.

Where are the players in the first team from the mini academy? Why don't you answer the question?