You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cricket Twenty 20 World Cup

wiiksie

My downright hatred of Australians when it comes to sport stems from Rugby League. And it won't die away any time soon. They're great at most sports, but don't they know it. The most ungracious set of window lickers on the planet, when they lose. People remember their graciousness after the last test in the Ashes, and that's true. But Ponting wasn't being gracious when he got run out by Pratt was he? Mong.

Pakistan building a decent total here.

You seem like a fair and balanced individual and you're right Pointing being pissed off one time he got run out means the good grace after the series lose is meaningless. :whatever:

If you really look without the obvious massive bias you have you will see the Aussies are almost always gracious in defeat and victory.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the remaining group games are utterly meaningless.

They don't even affect which Super 8 group a team goes into

Stupid.

The Pakistan/Holland game is a qualification shootout. Which Pakistan shouldn't lose now.

The rest are meaningless but there's some top cricket going to be on show.

The Pakistan/Holland game is a qualification shootout. Which Pakistan shouldn't lose now.

The rest are meaningless but there's some top cricket going to be on show.

Yes sorry after this one but i wasn't clear.

Pakistan should do this but Holland have the adavantageof batting 2nd.

Fuck 170ish, just go for the 151

Examples?

I'll give you the Ashes 2005 and after the RU world cup in 2003. Other than that they're poor losers and even worse winners.

So good but so arrogant at whatever they do - in sport.

EXAMPLES? Surely the onus is on you to show examples of when we have been sore losers since you are making the accusation.

I'll give you a recent one, the series loss to South Africa in Aus, no excuses were made Ricky just said they were the better team and won the big moments which is the norm for any lose they have.

Your living on English made stereotype buddy, I actually watch Australian teams play all the time in various sports and I cannot remember any cases of bad sportsmanship from a national team, I'm not saying there has never been any but there are none I can remember.

There are plenty of English people who have already said the same in this thread your the odd one out and your obviously bitter and that's clouding your judgement.

I'm not talking about this any more I'm not going to change your mind the important thing is I know your wrong and I'm right.

It's a typical defence mechanism, you lose but say they are arrogant bad sportsmen anyway so really we win for being so great, keep telling yourself that.

EXAMPLES? Surely the onus is on you to show examples of when we have been sore losers since you are making the accusation.

I'll give you a recent one, the series loss to South Africa in Aus, no excuses were made Ricky just said they were the better team and won the big moments which is the norm for any lose they have.

Your living on English made stereotype buddy, I actually watch Australian teams play all the time in various sports and I cannot remember any cases of bad sportsmanship from a national team, I'm not saying there has never been any but there are none I can remember.

There are plenty of English people who have already said the same in this thread your the odd one out and your obviously bitter and that's clouding your judgement.

I'm not talking about this any more I'm not going to change your mind the important thing is I know your wrong and I'm right.

It's a typical defence mechanism, you lose but say they are arrogant bad sportsmen anyway so really we win for being so great, keep telling yourself that.

:whistle:

Way to prove my point.

Just watch any rugby league test series and it'll show you condescending arrogance from top to bottom. Gobbing off before, during and after the series.

Just blame Ashley Klein and Steve Ganson.

Examples?

I'll give you the Ashes 2005 and after the RU world cup in 2003. Other than that they're poor losers and even worse winners.

So good but so arrogant at whatever they do - in sport.

wrong , wrong , and wrong again that Aussie prime minister couldn't get off the podium quick enough, When he was handling the medals it looked like he'd picked something out of the drain.That was one game the Aussies thought they were going to win after gubbing NZ in the semi's.

Generally though Ponting has been quite gracious in defeat.

:whistle:

Way to prove my point.

Just watch any rugby league test series and it'll show you condescending arrogance from top to bottom. Gobbing off before, during and after the series.

Just blame Ashley Klein and Steve Ganson.

I could'nt agree with you more. When it comes to Rugby League the Aussies are the biggest condescending arrogant cunts on the planet. I take great pleasure when Australia get beat in any sport.

Was so happy when the All Blacks beat them in the last World Cup, especially when all the prevouis week every Aussie was talking like they had already won.

That last game was bizarre. South Africa got a really low total and New Zealand seemed content to just go through the motions instead of really stepping on the gas to end the game as quickly as possible.

I think the conditions played a part, but still 128 is not a high score for a 20-20 match under any conditions!

Back on topic. South Africa successfully defended a modest total to win by 1 run. They have the right balance in fielding, and a strong aggressive batting order.

Regarding Aussies gloating when they win. It generally happens when a country dominates in any sport, so no big deal for me. Do you not find media coverage loathsome when England do well in any sport? When it's England v Germany in anything, out come the war references. Gets right on my tits.

wrong , wrong , and wrong again that Aussie prime minister couldn't get off the podium quick enough, When he was handling the medals it looked like he'd picked something out of the drain.That was one game the Aussies thought they were going to win after gubbing NZ in the semi's.

Generally though Ponting has been quite gracious in defeat.

Have no real axe to grind with our colonial cousins , but that 'performance' by the Oz PM was the most childish , pathetic thing I have ever seen by a dignitary at a sporting contest. One of the medals actually hit an England player in the chest he threw it at him that sharply. Martin Johnson would have been well within his rights to punch the arsehole clear off the podium.

Out of interest (from our Aussie contributors) , how did the PM's peevishness go down in Oz. ?

I'm off to Trent Bridge tomorrow on a jolly. Sri Lanka-Windies (without Gayle, sadly), then India-Ireland. So it'll be coconut rice, followed by rice and peas, followed by Basmati, all washed down with a few pints of Guinness.

I fear it's going to pee down all day, but I'll be in the warm and dry, so hurrah!

Out of interest (from our Aussie contributors) , how did the PM's peevishness go down in Oz. ?

Ah I can't really remember it was a long time ago, I think the majority thought he looked a bit silly but he doesn't understand sports really he's obviously never played any team sports.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8by05rtMY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8by05rtMY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Heh John Howard, what a knob.

The ashes will be interesting this year as neither team are as good as they were in 2005. If either of them were it would be very one-sided I think. I reckon Ponting is just past his best, Mike Hussey seems to have lost it all of a sudden, although Phil Hughes looks promising and Katich can’t be any worse than he was on the last tour. Haddin is pretty good as a wicky-batsman but a bit hit and miss, he could knock in a couple of centuries and average 60 for the series or not do much at all. Of the bowlers Mitchell Johnson has been brilliant with ball and bat for the last year or so, but Brett Lee hasn’t bowled well for a couple of years (and was never that good to start off with) Stuart Clark has been injured and might be getting old, and there’s no real spinner to speak of.

Still you can make the same arguments about England, will Strauss keep up his good form or go back to the slump he was in for a couple of years? Will Cook turn 30s and 40s into hundreds, will Pietersen show up? Bopara could get exposed at 3. There’s also not as much cutting edge in the bowling. If Flintoff is fit, England get good starts from their openers and can play a line-up like: Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swan, Anderson, Onions/Panesar there would be batting all the way down to 9 and a good range bowling options. I’d put England as slight favourites on home soil. It’ll really depend who’s on form out of the two teams though I reckon.

The ashes will be interesting this year as neither team are as good as they were in 2005. If either of them were it would be very one-sided I think. I reckon Ponting is just past his best, Mike Hussey seems to have lost it all of a sudden, although Phil Hughes looks promising and Katich can’t be any worse than he was on the last tour. Haddin is pretty good as a wicky-batsman but a bit hit and miss, he could knock in a couple of centuries and average 60 for the series or not do much at all. Of the bowlers Mitchell Johnson has been brilliant with ball and bat for the last year or so, but Brett Lee hasn’t bowled well for a couple of years (and was never that good to start off with) Stuart Clark has been injured and might be getting old, and there’s no real spinner to speak of.

Still you can make the same arguments about England, will Strauss keep up his good form or go back to the slump he was in for a couple of years? Will Cook turn 30s and 40s into hundreds, will Pietersen show up? Bopara could get exposed at 3. There’s also not as much cutting edge in the bowling. If Flintoff is fit, England get good starts from their openers and can play a line-up like: Strauss, Cook, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swan, Anderson, Onions/Panesar there would be batting all the way down to 9 and a good range bowling options. I’d put England as slight favourites on home soil. It’ll really depend who’s on form out of the two teams though I reckon.

That's pretty much where I stand Jose. I think there are some real matchwinners in both teams who could win a test on their own with a couple of good sessions: Ponting (like Vaughan in 2005, he isn't in the best of form but can still get a hundred), Johnson, Lee, Bopara, Pietersen, Swann.

Will the pressure get to our young lads, who knows. But it will be close, tense, edgy and I can't wait. Got tickets for the Aussies warmup match v Sussex too, they should go with quite a strong team I would think.

That's pretty much where I stand Jose. I think there are some real matchwinners in both teams who could win a test on their own with a couple of good sessions: Ponting (like Vaughan in 2005, he isn't in the best of form but can still get a hundred), Johnson, Lee, Bopara, Pietersen, Swann.

Will the pressure get to our young lads, who knows. But it will be close, tense, edgy and I can't wait. Got tickets for the Aussies warmup match v Sussex too, they should go with quite a strong team I would think.

Pretty much spot on those assessments for me, although I'd have the Aussies as slight favourites after their series win in South Africa a few months ago.

I think the Ashes will be a lot closer than last time (the 5 - 0) and it could go either way. The deciding factor could be whether Flintoff is fully fit and firing on all cylinders for all 5 Tests. He'll be up for revenge after his team was whitewashed a few years ago, and his bowling (especially to the left handers) could be crucial.

I've got tickets to the Headingley Test so I'm looking forward to that. I just hope it doesn't rain!

As for the Twenty 20, it's been ace so far. I've not been the biggest fan of this format at all but this competition has been done well and there have been a few really good games so far.

I fancy England to shock a few and get through to the semis. The balance of the team looks pretty good and although it'll be hard to go through with India, SA and the Windies in our group I think us and the South African's will make the semis, along with New Zealand and Sri Lanka from the other group.