You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean for financial reasons or because we're restructuring?

I'm getting more worried by the day, everybody I've spoken to over the past couple of days have all said things are a lot worse than we think.

Very bad news.

RAFA BENITEZ WIELDS AXE

Liverpool boss dumps SIXTEEN backroom staff

By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 06/06/2009

LIVERPOOL are facing a legal backlash after dismissing an incredible SIXTEEN backroom staff as part of the increasingly bloody Anfield Rafalution.

The club sacked 10 Academy staff last week and another six long-serving employees left in the last few days.

Distressed former employees with well over 150 years service between them argue they've been given no valid reason for the termination of contracts and are unhappy with the club's first offers for pay-off packages.

Liverpool are now braced for a series of courtroom challenges to the decision, with most of those sacked preparing unfair dismissal claims.

The Merseyside club face massive compensation bills and that's come at the worst possible time for owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett given their perilous financial situation.

Liverpool argue most of the dismissals are a series of cost-cutting measures overseen by new finance director Philip Nash, particularly at Academy level, with the club trying to reduce staff expenses by up to as much as £2million a year.

Benitez plans to replace some of them by adding to the Spanish contingent at Anfield.

A Kop source said: "You've heard of the night of the long knives. This is more like two weeks of it and it may not be finished yet.

"Rafa wants a clean sweep, but some of the staff won't go quietly and are taking legal advice. Some of them don't even feel they've been told why they're going."

The first round of departures included reserve coach Gary Ablett, Academy director Piet Hamberg and youth coaches Dave Shannon and Hugh McAuley.

Shannon will have a strong claim against the club having been cited in the recent autobiographies of Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher as a major influence on their careers through the youth ranks.

In recent days the departure of six Melwood staff has been confirmed, including physio Victor Salinas, the club's players' liaison officer who has been at Liverpool for 14 years, and even the kit man.

280-LIV-STAFF_43980a.jpg

RAFA BENITEZ WIELDS AXE | Liverpool boss dumps SIXTEEN backroom staff | Sport | News Of The World

Bascombe's take on it...

RAFA BENITEZ WIELDS AXE | Liverpool boss dumps SIXTEEN backroom staff | Sport | News Of The World

RAFA BENITEZ WIELDS AXE

280-LIV-STAFF_43980a.jpg

LIVERPOOL are facing a legal backlash after dismissing an incredible SIXTEEN backroom staff as part of the increasingly bloody Anfield Rafalution.

The club sacked 10 Academy staff last week and another six long-serving employees left in the last few days.

Distressed former employees with well over 150 years service between them argue they've been given no valid reason for the termination of contracts and are unhappy with the club's first offers for pay-off packages.

Liverpool are now braced for a series of courtroom challenges to the decision, with most of those sacked preparing unfair dismissal claims.

The Merseyside club face massive compensation bills and that's come at the worst possible time for owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett given their perilous financial situation.

Liverpool argue most of the dismissals are a series of cost-cutting measures overseen by new finance director Philip Nash, particularly at Academy level, with the club trying to reduce staff expenses by up to as much as £2million a year.

Benitez plans to replace some of them by adding to the Spanish contingent at Anfield.

A Kop source said: "You've heard of the night of the long knives. This is more like two weeks of it and it may not be finished yet.

"Rafa wants a clean sweep, but some of the staff won't go quietly and are taking legal advice. Some of them don't even feel they've been told why they're going."

The first round of departures included reserve coach Gary Ablett, Academy director Piet Hamberg and youth coaches Dave Shannon and Hugh McAuley.

Shannon will have a strong claim against the club having been cited in the recent autobiographies of Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher as a major influence on their careers through the youth ranks.

In recent days the departure of six Melwood staff has been confirmed, including physio Victor Salinas, the club's players' liaison officer who has been at Liverpool for 14 years, and even the kit man.

Chris Bascombe in attack dog article shock. There's going to be a summer of this isn't there? Still, he needs something to fill his time with now the grand Xabi Alonso campaign he was planning has been derailed.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
RAFA BENITEZ WIELDS AXE

280-LIV-STAFF_43980a.jpg

That sentence in bold tell's you everything you need to know.

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't Salinas and Vales Spanish?

Are Frank McParland, Sammy Lee and John McMahon not English?

More scare-mongering and scab picking just to score points.

Chris Bascombe in attack dog article shock. There's going to be a summer of this isn't there? Still, he needs something to fill his time with now the grand Xabi Alonso campaign he was planning has been derailed.

Whatever happens, 16 people being sacked from a premier league football club will always make headlines. Even more now, when it can be put together with all the rumours of us being totally up shit creek financially and it being the summer without any footie on, which magnifies a story like this.

Guest Kenny
That sentence in bold tell's you everything you need to know.

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't Salinas and Vales Spanish?

Are Frank McParland, Sammy Lee and John McMahon not English?

More scare-mongering and scab picking just to score points.

On cheaper salaries maybe?

I'm getting more worried by the day, everybody I've spoken to over the past couple of days have all said things are a lot worse than we think.

Very bad news.

I know, those figures were pretty fucking horrible. We increased our debt by £80-120m (I still can't work it out) in ONE YEAR! and this was all before the world's economy collapsed, before Gillett tried to sell The Canadiens and before Hicks defaulted on a huge loan in America. I shudder to think of how fucked we are now. We could easily have a debt 3 times our worth. Will anyone buy us if that's the case?

I said a few days ago that disgruntled former employees and their mates will flood the forums with anti-Rafa complaints. One or two of them are suspected of supplying Bascombe with tittle-tattle for some time. He's so open to it that its not surprising that they should turn to him first.

As for the title of his piece which "blames" Rafa, I would give CB the benefit of the doubt that that would have been written or edited by the sub-editor. Its is certainly at odds with the main contents of the article.

As I suggested the other day, some if not most of the cuts may be motivated by the need for cost-cutting. LFC pays more in administrative wages as a percentage of the club's income than any of the other top four clubs. The decision to streamline by declaring redundancies is an administrative decision driven by Director of Finance. However, it also coincides with Rafa's determination to make changes to key staff positions following McPharlane's review and his own analysis.

A 2 million saving is not insignificant. A million here and a million there and pretty soon we are talking real money.

If the redundancies and sackings also rid Melwood and the Academy of the anti-Rafa gossips who supply CB and those on here whom he briefs - so much the better.

I think this is above Benitez's remit, strikes me as a cost cutting exercise as ordered from above.

I can't see it, if this was general cost cutting measures, you would have seen a whole lot of administrative staff let go as well. These are all football related staff. Vales and Ablett were known about months ago.

I can't see it, if this was general cost cutting measures, you would have seen a whole lot of administrative staff let go as well. These are all football related staff. Vales and Ablett were known about months ago.

ablett's contract was up and wasn't getting renewed.

RAFA BENITEZ WIELDS AXE

280-LIV-STAFF_43980a.jpg

Why didn't Bascombe mention that he approached Ablett for an Interview for HIS (Ablett) side of the story?

Ablett politely declined the offer saying he was going on Holiday.

I do wonder if this is only the start of it to be honest.

Why didn't Bascombe mention that he approached Ablett for an Interview for HIS (Ablett) side of the story?

Ablett politely declined the offer saying he was going on Holiday.

That may have something to do with Ablett not wanting to jeopardize any future jobs he may get and may have something to do with his respect for the club. Not because he is showing Rafa any loyalty.