You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Setanta screwed?

Stouffer

I have raised many questions about the viability of setanta and of tv rights in general, there is no way a football game between Wigan and Bolton is worth £3-4m+ to a domestic broadcaster, it is a huge bubble and sooner or later it will burst. if the recession is prolonged Sky itself could well go under just like Setanta, though it seems they have some control over costs but I just dont understand how they can keep up what is clearly an uneconomical model

ITV Digital

Setanta

Sky ??

watch this space.

I read somewhere that Sky are doing well out of the recession. Instead of going out for a meal and a trip to the pictures, people are staying and watching a film on sky. It's supposed to be boom time for them.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that Sky are doing well out of the recession. Instead of going out for a meal and a trip to the pictures, people are staying and watching a film on sky. It's supposed to be boom time for them.

I have a few mates that had got Sky already and then got Setanta for the extra sports. The recession hits and they can't justify two TV packages - guess which one goes? That's another reason they're in the shit right there.

I watch their sports broadcasts via the internet, so not only do I not give a fuck about them, I'm probably part of the problem too. Ho hum.

Guest Dog Chaser

Glad to see the back of Setanta if they do go, it's just made it more expensive to watch premiership football, the only plus side was that when Liverpool played on Setanta i had to go to the pub to watch it.

I don't like to see any company going bust and people losing jobs, but if any company deserves it then its Shitanta. Awful product. We only got a picture 20% of the time, the rest it was just a blank screen as the signal was shite. When we rang up it took fuckin ages to get through, only to be told they will send a signal boost which does fuck all. Awful customer service, impossible to cancel. I must admit I did not have a hige problem with their coverage, bar nob heads like Sherwood and McMoneyman, as it's nice to have the occasional break from Sky. But we hardly got to see a game anyway and ended up having to run up the pub 20minutes in as we had no picture. They have got what was coming to them.

MIght cancel the direct debit.

I deffo am. The cheeky cunts better hadn't take my money after going out of business! Gutted, no more UFC, no boxing and no more Bundesliga.

Will we see a return of Prem Plus? That was better - £50 for the whole season.

I deffo am. The cheeky cunts better hadn't take my money after going out of business! Gutted, no more UFC, no boxing and no more Bundesliga.

Will we see a return of Prem Plus? That was better - £50 for the whole season.

That's a blessing in a way because the Bundesliga commentator is shit. You could counter by watching with the sound off, but half the time you don't even have the picture.

Good.

Also Its about fucking time top level football was back on Terrestrial television. Not that i watch many other teams nowadays, nowhere near what i used to, but one premiership game should be live on the BBC or ITV every week. Its fucking scandolous that someone (the government or governing body) has let pay tv buy all the rights up. Hopefully one day soon, football's greed will come back ond bite right on the fucking ass. It amounts to not much more than protistution now, sell to the highest bidder.

Good.

Also Its about fucking time top level football was back on Terrestrial television. Not that i watch many other teams nowadays, nowhere near what i used to, but one premiership game should be live on the BBC or ITV every week. Its fucking scandolous that someone (the government or governing body) has let pay tv buy all the rights up. Hopefully one day soon, football's greed will come back ond bite right on the fucking ass. It amounts to not much more than protistution now, sell to the highest bidder.

I'm not sure it will lead to more terrestrial coverage unfortunately , the stories I have read suggest that Sky & ESPN are at the forefront to take up the slack.