You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about having the balls, people don't vote for bnp because they actually have a working brain.

Like it or not I'm expected them to do well with disaffected Labour voters switching. I don't blame them, the main parties appear to leave the way clear for the BNP to appeal directly to the working class in deprived areas.

You are better off spoiling your papers or not voting. For the record, the BNP is more middle class than working class, another popular myth, there are more members in Surrey than Birmingham, most of these are rich boy's, son's of rich men, like all the other parties. It's a very reliable indicator because if you support the BNP chances are you will register to be a full blown member as every reason and motivation is in identifying with the group and doing your duty would be an important part of that. Unlike say, Labour or other mainstream parties where you might vote for them but unlikely to become a member. Again, I quietly suggest people collect a bit of cat poo out their litter boxes to take with them for scrawling on their voting paper, 'GREEDY BASTARDS!' or whatever relevant point you have to make.

Edited by dennis tooth

Like it or not I'm expected them to do well with disaffected Labour voters switching. I don't blame them, the main parties appear to leave the way clear for the BNP to appeal directly to the working class in deprived areas.

Are you taking the piss?

I blame them; definitely.

Get out and vote people! And when I say vote, I don't mean spoil your ballot paper, because if you do that, you might as well not turn up.

It's important we get out and cast a vote today because to not do so could let a BNP candidate get elected by the backdoor. Our North West Euro constituency includes places like Oldham, Burnley and other towns with a large non-white population - and the BNP are going to pick up a lot of votes there. Our own apathy might see us wind up with a racist MEP.

There's a lot of criticism of political parties at the moment, much of it justified, but if you can't get behind the idea of Labour, LD, Green, SNP/Plaid, even Tories or UKIP as a lesser evil to a party that wants to kick non-white people out of the country, then I honestly pity you.

Vote with a clothes peg on your nose but do vote, because we can't have these BNP bastards representing us in Europe.

Get out and vote people! And when I say vote, I don't mean spoil your ballot paper, because if you do that, you might as well not turn up.

It's important we get out and cast a vote today because to not do so could let a BNP candidate get elected by the backdoor. Our North West Euro constituency includes places like Oldham, Burnley and other towns with a large non-white population - and the BNP are going to pick up a lot of votes there. Our own apathy might see us wind up with a racist MEP.

There's a lot of criticism of political parties at the moment, much of it justified, but if you can't get behind the idea of Labour, LD, Green, SNP/Plaid, even Tories or UKIP as a lesser evil to a party that wants to kick non-white people out of the country, then I honestly pity you.

Vote with a clothes peg on your nose but do vote, because we can't have these BNP bastards representing us in Europe.

hear hear!

I do want to vote, as it's your right, and people have fought for that right. Anyone who doesn't vote should really be looking at themselves and wondering why. But as you said, Labour, Conservative and the Lib Dems can go to fuck. BNP are a disgrace.

I'd like to have a look at UKIP myself and see what they're all about.

Anyway, isn't Noos supposed to be standing?

Your right to vote encorporates the right to choose not to vote. For me, to vote for one of the parties I'd have to believe in what they were campaigning for, believe that if elected they would do a good job, and none of the candidates even come close to that at the moment. That is as much a part of democracy as not voting. I'm not going to vote for the one I dislike the least merely out of duty.

Just been down. UKIP got mine.

Don't you think it's a tad ironic putting someone on the very gravy train that they're telling us needs to be scrapped? ;)

Farage reckons he's cleared a cool £2m in expenses (on top of a £64k salary) since he got onto the Euro Parliament: nice work if you can get it, but I don't think his criticisms hold that much credibility given how he's been as happy to take from the pot as any of them.

Oh well, I guess there are worse reasons to vote than irony ;)

Another classic myth there. Been reading them 'papers and sucking up propanda as usual, the whole powerhouses going hell for leather to get enough of a vote to make the power they hold legitimate and continue the process have we, or is yer hed just full of shit? The BNP is not a threat to areas with a large non white population but areas with a predominantly white population.

Anyone considering not voting consider only that the parties need votes to be legitimate, they need a large enough percentage to vote or none can govern, if enough people don't vote, the BNP will get precisely nowhere anyway as there needs to be a big enough percentage of overall votes by the population for the election to be legitmate.

"Do you really think this bullshit boyscout shit's gonna work?"

"He can see our tripwires, maybe he can't see this."

336_1.jpg

"We make a stand now, or there will be nobody left to get to the choppa"

Right, off to vote. Feeling a bit of an anticlimax. I'll be sitting up late tonight anyway, always hard to call between TV and radio. Prob Radio 4.

This won't cripple Brown in itself, Tories are unlikely to have much joy either, and Labour having an awful night is utterly predictable, so there'll be no real news. Interesting to see how the "protest" votes pan out between LD, Green, BNP and UKIP. One of those four is going to have a great night, hard to predict who. Signs are it's UKIP.

The Green Party's full title on the paper ended with something along the lines of "say no to racism". I'm sure that got them a few votes from people who couldn't think who to vote for but just didn't want to give the Nazi lot a chance.

Didn't work with me but I bet it did with a fair few.

Also any outside chance of me voting for that "old-Labour" party went out of the window when I noticed its full title ended in "Leader Arthur Scargill".

I voted for them for the first time ever today, purely because there's no chance any of the big three are getting my vote after recent goings on and it's a hell of a better option than the BNP.

Vote rigging, UK style (ie. shit vote rigging)?

BBC NEWS | Politics | UKIP 'outrage' on folded ballots

UKIP 'outrage' on folded ballots

The UK Independence Party has called for the elections minister to resign in a row over folded ballot papers.

UKIP says hundreds of people could not find the party's box as it was hidden under a small fold at the bottom of the list of European election candidates.

The party says it may challenge the result and says minister Michael Wills did not do enough to sort it out.

The government says returning officers run elections and an alert had been put out once the problem emerged.

In a letter to Mr Wills, UKIP leader Nigel Farage said: "We are outraged that today's European election have not been contested on a free and fair basis.

"We have been swamped with upset voters who failed to find us on the ballot paper. In many cases they have voted for other parties such as NO2EU and even the BNP."

He said in some cases ballot papers were "machine folded and with a sharp crease".

"A good pair of fingernails were needed to prise open the last page," he added.

The party says it is gathering information from across the UK and may issue a legal challenge to demand a rerun of the election.

Mr Farage said he had tried to contact Mr Wills but was rebuffed with the message that the problem had "already been handled" - something the UKIP leader rejects.

He said Mr Wills' "total refusal" to meet him to resolve the matter showed he was "unfit to remain in office" and should resign.

A number of people, mainly from the Yorkshire and the Humber region, contacted the BBC about the problem.

One man from York told the BBC he had been "absolutely shocked" that he could not find the party he wanted to vote for on the ballot paper and had to ask officials where it was.

"They explained you have to unfold it again, right at the very bottom there was another very neat fold that you could not see, folded backwards," he said.

During the day the Electoral Commission issued an alert to returning officers, advising them papers should be handed out unfolded, after the issue was raised by UKIP.

A spokesman for the commission told the BBC they were "aware of the issue - and the general issues that long ballot papers can cause".

He said ballot papers were folded to help protect secrecy.

The Ministry of Justice said that the government was responsible for "setting the legislative framework" for elections, and for funding them.

Returning officers were responsible for conducting them and it was important they were independent, it said.

The department said there were no strict rules on how a ballot paper should be folded and it was clear that in some areas there were lots of candidates which meant ballot papers were extra long.

It added that providing guidance on the conduct of elections was a matter for the Electoral Commission which had quickly issued a circular asking polling staff not to fold the papers when the problem emerged.

"It is also worth bearing in mind that an enlarged copy of the full ballot paper is on display in every polling station," a spokesman said.

"Polling station staff also have to hand an enlarged copy of the ballot paper which is available on request."

I very much doubt you were swamped with complaints Nigel.